Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence beggars

Brian Mitchell

I've been at this a long time and I've just got to say I have never seen as many people begging for sequences as I have this year.  Seems like I'm getting 15 to 20 posts a day from people asking for free sequences.  This year it seems like feeding a seagull.  You feed one and suddenly you have the whole flock on top of you.  

Does anyone not write their own sequences anymore?

I still give out almost any sequence to anyone that personally asks me but it's getting crazy seeing all the open requests out there for any sequences.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caleb Linburg

• Santas Helper

• dgrant

• Don

Brian,

I've noticed the same thing.

I think most of it is last minute LOR buyers wanting to get something running in minimal time.

But then are some that just want a plug and play system and not mess with sequences.

Then there are some that might be just plumb lazy.

I'm not against helping when I can but this year seems to be the most in requesting sequences.

And to answer your question, yes. I still build my own. But I have barrowed a couple here lately for last minute requests.

Tom

I still consider myself a newbie being this will be my 3rd season but even myself, I get lots of requests for sequences. I've done most of my own but recently I've been purchasing sequence parts such as CCR sequences, converting and pasting into my own. I can't share those due to the author's creative content, such as holidaysequences.com. Too date, I think I've purchased only one full sequence from someone and modified it for my display of course but I'll not give it or any others with creative professional content, out to someone who wants it.  Same here, never seen so many people requesting free sequences.

I too am in my third year, but just joined the forum a few months ago. Past 2 years my show was 100% purchased sequences. I'm quilty of jumping on the email list when someone posts one they're sharing. But never would post a "does anyone have _______". I did think a lot of begging was going on. Glad to hear it's not the norm for this site.

Now back to sharing. I hope the posters keep posting. I'm trying to sequence some songs myself this year and studying others work has really helped me out. I do thank everyone individually when they share as THIS SHOULD NEVER JUST BE EXPECTED.

I haven't shared yet as I won't send out a purchased sequence, but hope after my show is up that the ones I've created are worth sharing. I want to do my own so bad, I even bought Superstar this last week. Don't have RGB yet, but wanted to use the auto-sequencer, which by the way - Brian - it really ROCKS.

Just my thoughts.

I think a lot of people get the bug late in the season and then without doing any research they plop down a couple hundred dollars thinking they are getting a plug-n-play system. Then when they get their system they realize "Hey! I got no music", then it hits them that this is a lot of work, takes a ton of planning and they start to panic.

I agree! So anyone else reading this thread, please be aware that it takes a good amount of time and effort to make this work. Most of us start planning in January for a show in Nov/Dec.. It litterally takes that much time to plan, order, fabricate and sequence everything to get it ready to put up for a show. As stated, it is NOT a plug and play hobby. Technology is changing fast and you must keep up with it...RGB's are all over the scene already and more coming fast!

One point that nobody mentioned...maybe the hobby is growing at a faster pace than before and that's why there's an influx of new people looking for a little boost to get going. I guess LOR can tell us if the growth rate is faster than normal.

Disclaimer: I buy CCR sequences, I create sequences, I share sequences made by me, I borrow sequences and give credit where credit is due...

Edited by oilmoney

Some are like myself and have tried it over and over again and just plain suck at it. I love putting on a show and am not lazy. I build my props, put my own lights up, Take them down and build my A/C cords for my props. I enjoy doing the wiring from the main house panel (which I have 8 controllers and a RGB board) to the different props. I am very thankful for the ones that have shared their work and if I could help anyone with what I can do I would be glad to offer any help in any way. I have bought sequences over the years and use them but when I share any of the sequences that are given to me I let them know it is not my work and give the credit where it is due. I would love to be able to sequence a song and say I have done this but i have to admit I am a long way from that(i am in my 5th year). I do take different sequences and cut them up and build my own out of the free ones as well as the purchased ones and it is not a fast process but not near as long as starting from scratch. The few times I have asked for a sequence and  have offended them I do apologize.

Edited by minkhill

FYI... I believe there are a couple of places around the internets that take sequence uploads and share them with others.  Rather than mail them around, you may wish to upload them to these sequence sharing sites and then point people there.  That way you share, but don't need to respond to multiple requests per day to mail them out.

I'm not saying that I get offended by anyone asking for sequences.  I'm just making the observation and comparison to the seagull thing.   I truly enjoy when I give someone a sequence and then they send me back a video or their adapted sequence to see.  I like seeing how my sequencing adapts to different displays.

It is the "can get this and make a great show" syndrome,  It takes several hours to do a good sequence, I too have taken and given but I must say that about 90% never say thanks and I have never seen a video of my given sequence emailed to me. 

It is just that time of year, crunch time, and the newbies will be here every year asking for sequences.  A note to newbies, don't expect a nice show when you start in October or later.

When asked how long it takes to sequence, my standard answer is about one hour for each minute of show time.

That's with 64 channels.  Now that I've added faces, I'd probably bump that up to about 1.5 hours.

I was thinking of building a site of lor only sequences that is nicely sorted by song and channel type and has links to amazon to buy the song. This way users would have no need to email sequences. I know similar sites are out there, but they haven't been that good to work with. I also remember reading that one of the main ones shut down recently. I started working on one that will be a page off of my site eventually. 

I think the original comment is spot on. I do my own sequencing but used to grab some from people to see if there is any cool ideas or tricks I might not know. Figured I could always learn something. To be honest, the majority of what has been sent to me it pretty basic. I find it better to watch people's videos and try and figure it out.

I originally thought all the sharing was great until someone sent me a sequence I shared back. People want to ask me direct fine, don't share other people's work without permission.

FYI... I believe there are a couple of places around the internets that take sequence uploads and share them with others.  Rather than mail them around, you may wish to upload them to these sequence sharing sites and then point people there.  That way you share, but don't need to respond to multiple requests per day to mail them out.

This trend started this year. I dont recall seeing it so much in the past years.  But also there were in the past frequent posts about where to search for sequences or upload them. 

One point that nobody mentioned...maybe the hobby is growing at a faster pace than before and that's why there's an influx of new people looking for a little boost to get going. I guess LOR can tell us if the growth rate is faster than normal.

Disclaimer: I buy CCR sequences, I create sequences, I share sequences made by me, I borrow sequences and give credit where credit is due...

The Christmas Light Show last year shined a big spot light on the hobby.  It would be interesting to hear from the LOR staff if controller sales have increased year over year.

I've asked for a few sequences here and there.  I went from 1 controller last year to 9 this year.  I spent more time with light setup than I expected.  Very little time sequencing.  I'm sure my show will be a work in progress through the end of the year.

Edited by namecipS

This is my 4th year I heard about LOR at Christmas 2011 and downloaded the free software and spent from spring to autumn (fall) learning to sequence. I then ordered two controllers just before christmas so I could run my show. Now up to ten controllers and I actually enjoy sequencing even though I can spend 10 to 20 hours on a song. I have taken a few free ones but only really to get an idea of how other people work although I have cut a pasted some good parts into mine if I find something suitable. I can understand that some people will struggle with sequencing and will probably have other strengths. Happy to share mine as long as they don't appear on Ebay

Happy to share mine as long as they don't appear on Ebay

And this, in a nutshell, is why (except for friends) I no longer freely share mine.

I find it interesting that almost everyone who has ever bought a sequence from me thanked me for it - some people almost to the point of it being embarrassing. And almost no one who ever received a free sequence from me even bothered to say thanks.

Edited by George Simmons

And almost no one who ever received a free sequence from me even bothered to say thanks.

I hear ya brother. A little thanks in return goes a long way on hard worked sequencing.

I've been working on my sequences since the beginning of august. Not to bash anybody but what fun is it to use somebody elses sequence? Make your own and make it unique!