Light-O-Rama Forums

Static color gradient on RGB ribbon arch

stachows

OK,

So I am have a brain fart moment.

I am trying to go from Red to Blue on an arch, BUT have it static.  NOT a Chase.

In other words, one side is Red, the other side is Blue, and in the middle the gradient between the two.  I want this to be static, NO MOTION.

My mind is drawing a blank on how to do this EASILY with the tools provided. (LOR sequencer and Superstar)

Thanks!

Scott.

If the arch is a group, just expand the group and fill one color on the first half of the channels in the arch, than put the other color on the other half. .......................filling all the timing blocks.

Edited by steve synek

Hi Vince, The Color fade tool  works Horizontally across Sequence editor (chaning as TIME changes)....

How can I use it Vertically in sequence editor? (down pixel 1-50, but all in the same Time segment?)

When you drag vertically, it just changes all the pixels from the first color to the second in that time segment.

Edited by stachows

Hi Steve, the arch is a group.  I filled the first pixel(1) red, and the bottom pixel (50) blue for the time segment.

Neither the "Fill Tool" nor the "Inteligent fade" tool work as they are design to pick up the adjacent colors horizontally, and not vertically.

I am beginning to think this might not be possible?

Scott

It took me a while to understand the question. You want to do a color fade vertically (for lack of a better term).

I don't know of an easy way to do that.

I'll be watching this to see who has an answer.

Steve

After playing in SE, you could make a red to blue fade in channel 1.

Create a chase to the last pixel in the arch- Making sure the first pixel in channel 1 ends up in the same timing grid as the end of your fade in channel 1.

Than copy, the single timing grid line from the last pixel in the top row- down to the 1st pixel in the bottom row.   This could now be pasted vertically to fill what you were looking for.

Does that make sense?

Steve

Create a chase to the last pixel in the arch- Making sure the first pixel in channel 1 ends up in the same timing grid as the end of your fade in channel 1.

Than copy, the single timing grid line from the last pixel in the top row- down to the 1st pixel in the bottom row. This could now be pasted vertically to fill what you were looking for.

Does that make sense?

Steve

Than copy, the single timing grid line from the last pixel in the top row- down to the 1st pixel in the bottom row. This could now be pasted vertically to fill what you were looking for.

Does that make sense?

Steve

Oops.....

I've been watching this tread. That was the way I came up with, too. I would make the color fade 50 cells long, you'll get the best color graduation when you copy the column. Maybe someone else has a better they will share.

I'm going to have to play with when I get home. The description does not make sense to me while sitting on a commuter train. Too close to my stop to fire up the laptop here to try it out. I like the idea for what stachows is trying to do. I might use that if I can make it play right.

OK, I got it. After rereading Steve's description and figuring out the typo, it makes sense. That ought to work. I am going to play with in Superstar and see if I can figure it out there since that's normally where I sequence my arches.

Hi guys,

First off thank you for all your hard work. I really do appreciate it!!!

I must be missing something, because even after Steve's steps, I can't get it to work, I must not be understanding it properly.

I still end up with an arch where the entire thing turns from red to blue.... I am looking to go from red to blue left to right on the arch itself, but static.  In SE, the arches my arches are top to bottom RGB channels 1-50....  HTH....

My eventual goal is to have my arches come on starting from left to right ( I have (6) 10' arches)  gradient of ROYGBIV, but all on at the same time, STATIC!!!

I hope this makes sense...

Thanks

Scott!

no problem Scott

Steve's step are accurate, let me see if I can elaborate:

You have 50 rgb channels in a group

> expand them

>Make a color fade 50 cells long from BLUE to RED (opposite of what you want) on the first RGB row

>use chase tool and go down 50 channels and over 50 cells (The blue end is now under and in the same column as the red end)

>     B****R

B****R

B****R

B****R

B****R

B****R

>select the entire column (column 50)from red down to Blue end and copy to clip board

>erase everything and paste in that first column of cells

Hope that helped, if not I can send you a file.

Matt.

I've done it a little different not using chase but my way is a lot of copy paste. Determine how many pixels you need vertically, make the color fade on the first channel through enough timing marks for the length of pixels required. I use 0.05. Then copy paste from horizontal to vertical in the first row of timing marks. I'll use 10 pixels as example

Make color fade across 10 timing marks

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

Then copy paste verticals one timing mark at a time

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

Then copy horizontal(use paste special)

1-1-1-1-1-1

2-2-2-2-2-2

3-3-3-3-3-3-

4-4-4-4-4-4-

Etc

Etc

Hope this helps but is a lot of copy/paste

Edited by sticks4legs

Thank You Guys!!!

This makes perfect sense now.  I knew I had done it in the past, but could not for the life of remember how.  The Chase tool method worked great!!!!!!

I am in you debt!

Scott.