Light-O-Rama Forums

So just curious... who here is still old school?

Santas Helper

nothing but leds and a few incans, like the incans way better but the power consumption makes them not feasible 

Edited by ericm

I'm at 7 AC controllers, and counting.  I have RGB pixels on the house, and I use them in arches for Christmas.  I also have RGB LED floods. Thus, I am not "just old school".  That being said, I really don't see the AC controllers going by way of the dinos. I think there will always be a place for them. Just really don't see me ever saying "I have no use for these anymore".

I still keep 5 or 6 dozen AC controllers busy, and don't envision a time when I wouldn't. 

But as I look around the yard(s), there seems to be dumb RGB and pixels worming their way in almost everywhere.

My three RGB matrix props were boring me and I just didnt want to add more pixels.  So last year I added a 'Retro-matix' using 6 new AC controllers and 96 led strings each wound up into a 5x5 square.   I still like the led string look and I think it tones down the high tech aspects of the show.   I also have 32 three color led mini trees which I love and plan on keeping them for a while.    Something weird was the satisfaction of terminating and bundling 96 spt2 extension cords.   When I am giving tours on how the show works, people 'get' the coolness of the 96 extension cords, but glaze over when I talk about RGB networks.  

• Like 1

We still have our 70,000-75,000 incandescent lights, but this year we're adding ~15,000 blue LEDs and a 16x50 pixel matrix.

Next year I can see our house lights being totally converted to pixels but the yard will forever stay incan and LED bulbs. They are just too Christmassy to get rid of IMHO.

I have an 8000 pixel matrix on the roof, some Dumb RGB strip lights around the eaves, but the other 83,000+ lights are still incan.  Including my 15,000 light mega tree.  I've been slowly collecting LED's to switch over, but haven't made that leap yet.  I'm still partial to the incan look.  I'm still using my 10 AC controllers and 4 DC (for the strip lights).  2 pixcon 16's for the matrix.

This will be my fourth year with LOR.  I was old school until last year when I added RGB to outline the house.    This year I am adding a CCR screen.  Hope to have Halloween online tonight!

I'm talkin about "NO" DMX, or CCRs, CCPs, CCXYZs or even smarty strips.

I barely know what an LED is....yes, I guess I am "old school". But I do have over 800 channrls from 50+ controllers in my light show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I'm talkin about "NO" DMX, or CCRs, CCPs, CCXYZs or even smarty strips.

Which at the point I posted this question 2 years ago, That's where I was going. I had none of that and was curious who else was in the same boat because the new stuff (DMX and smarty stuff) was flying off the shelf.

Glad to see some "Old Schoolers" still exists. :)

Count me as old school. White, red and green LED's with 4 controllers. Can't justify the expense to go RGB at this time. Maybe a few years down the road.

I would fall into this Old School niche also.

Not only my light show but I have been training the fleet of hamsters for months to run in the little wheel to turn the generator for power for the show.

20 hours ago, Archer said:

... I barely know what an LED is....

Correction please... "knowing" and "submitting to" are two different things.

I'm still an old school hold out. No pixels or nothing. Although I am still on the fence about doing a pixel tree. I'm all LOR with incans and LED'S.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The programming seems too technical for me.  And the wiring and potential soldering is definitely is out of the skill set I have. But I do like the look and I need to be taught hands on way.  I just don't know anyone in my area who is doing it.  So Hint Hint  of anyone in the Southwest Michigan area.

Still just Incan and LEDs. I can't really afford to get into DMX. Just added Coro trees this year. Also, getting too old to get on roof, so will probably never get into RGB. They look nice, tho.