Light-O-Rama Forums

Sylvania Ultra LED bulbs

Wayne K

I am wanting to change out the 40 watt ican bulbs in my blow molds. Has anyone used the Sylvania led bulbs with lor? I am looking at this bulb at Menards http://www.menards.com/main/p-2407803-c-7482.htm

Thought I would post and see if anyone has used these before I go out and buy a bunch of them.

They say they are dimmable and use 6 watts, I would think that this is enough draw on a lor channel for it to work all right. So someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K
  • Like 1

Hi,

I've dealt with the different Light bulbs from Different Manufacturers (Including a direct Supply to China- Not Ray Wu) I have found that anything less than 8 watts doesn't hold a candle to anything incandescent. I've used the color changing remote controlled bulbs as they are a favorite. I would check on Amazon or Ebay for a higher wattage. I noticed this bulb has the "5000K" which is good mixture for a warm white... However, I see this bulb is 25,000 hrs, where most LEDs are 50,000.

Just my 2 Cents. :D

Kip

I got these at Menard's for my house lighting. They are a lot better than the highest out put CFL's that I have used. I caught these on sale for $5.95.

3531670.jpg

Click image for a larger view.Hover to zoom in.
  • 3531670.jpg
  • 3531670_ALT.jpg
  •  
  • 3531670.jpg
  • 3531670_ALT.jpg
  •  
  • 3531670.jpg
  • 3531670_ALT.jpg
  •  

Polaroid 12W A19 300-Degree Dimmable LED Light Bulb (3000K)

Model Number: PLOA19-60-800-12-1  |  Menards® SKU: 3531670

item_Lighting_Facts_Label.jpg

Final Price: $6.20

Everyday Low Price: $6.97

11%  Mail-In Rebate: $0.77 
Your Final Price: $6.20

You Save: $0.77 after Mail-In Rebate

Thanks guys

This bulb is actually brighter than the incondesant bulbs. The thing I like is that it makes things look white. My blow mold snowmen actually look like they might be made from white snow. I bought just one and have being trying it out in my different blow molds and I like the 5000k color in them. I am wanting to buy a bunch of these while menards has there 11% rebate on. But since I don't have any controlers hooked up yet to test, I am hoping someone will chime in that these will dim ok with lor, as they do say dimmable on them.

Thanks

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

turn them on and off fast and look for a delay . some LED drivers have a delay that throws things off. menards has polaroid LED lights that I have tested and they work for what your doing

Thanks for the input.

I have decided to just change out 5 of them in my bigger blow molds for this season and see how they work. The trouble is that the 40 watters are to bright for the smaller blow molds and I cannot find the 5000k in a smaller led bulb.

Wayne

The incandescent light bulbs you are changing out are 2700k in color. So really any LED color should be fine. The problem is if you want them to all be the same color, you will want to start with a color that is going to be easier to find in all the other optional wattages needed. I would think if you went a 3000k, like indi suggests above, you will find many more varieties. Additionally, just because it says dimmable doesn't mean it will dim like an incandescent. The cheaper off brands may say dimmable, but they will only dim down to like 20 or 30%. You really should stay with the Sylvania brand you mentioned or other leading LED mfgs, like TCP or Phillips, as they dim down further - some even to 5%. You can really ignore the hours rating on the labels. The mfgs must label LED lamps differently than incandescent lamps. They can not do the accelerated testing to forecast the burn out time. The LED bulb must actually have been tested to burn as long as claimed. Since these bulbs are relatively new and the technology is changing everyday, the ones on the market haven't necessarily burned out in the test lab yet. Some mfgs get around this by just offering a longer warranty, say 5 years. I don't know this company I've listed below, or how close to you geographically they are, but I read through their mfg list and they should be able to supply the lamps you are needing. If not close to you, most any wholesale electrical distributors should have one of the brands mentioned.

http://www.awesi.com/

Just my opinion.

Good luck,
Daniel