Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer behind

aesl1982

Is it normal for visualizer to be off timing a little bit. When I watch the sequence in the sequence editor and the channel buttons light up. It's perfect. But the visulizer lights don't light up exactly with the channel buttons. Has a small lag between the two

There are a lot of variables which can slow the visualizer, but the controller timings should be ok as it runs faster than the visualizer.

Never heard of visualizer being slow. I make sure my show matches visualizer exact and that matches real world for me.

If it is slow I would try to fix that.

Are you using 2 displays? One for visualizer and one for seq editor?

Does this happen with all songs?

The only time I have ever had any discrepancy in timing on the visualizer it turned out to be caused by the mp3 I was using. But I honestly did not look to see if the timing on the seq editor was off. I just saw vis off and corrected the mp3....by re-coding in audacity.

It all depends on how many channels you're running. I'm running over 11K and my Visualizer, is way behind, skips commands that I know are there and all kinds of weird stuff. I just watch my sequences in Superstar, 4 times for each Visualizer.

I'm hoping once all the updates that are coming will fix this, at least for next year. Don't know for if the updates are coming this year or not. Getting pretty slim on time for updates. One can only wish though

yah I only have 48 channels, I looked at the sequence editor and it is spot on.  im working with the audacity thing learning it to change the mp3s up

I have no issue with the visualizer either...its on time, all the time. I would suspect your antivirus program might be getting in the way or some malware in there. Try opening the task manager and monitor the network activity and cpu % used. If the network is continuing to access, then you could have a malware issue in which case, first thought is to dump all the temporary internet files and see if things improve. Past that, you need to run the antivirus program on the whole C Drive...delete anything it finds. Make sure its fully updated too before you run it.

It all depends on how many channels you're running. I'm running over 11K and my Visualizer, is way behind, skips commands that I know are there and all kinds of weird stuff. I just watch my sequences in Superstar, 4 times for each Visualizer.

I'm hoping once all the updates that are coming will fix this, at least for next year. Don't know for if the updates are coming this year or not. Getting pretty slim on time for updates. One can only wish though

Have the same issue

After much troubleshooting by myself and help desk, something in  my new Win 7 system throwing off timing-creating lag. Never did figure it out;

SS timing is perfect, so I use SE animator along with "real" lights hooked up , gave up on Visualizer. Never did get it to work correctly. Was told most people don't have this issue, so back to it being in my system

I found if you change the background properties and make the background size smaller it will help with some of the lag issues. 

This is pinned in this section by DevMike

Edited by 75redman

Is it normal for visualizer to be off timing a little bit. When I watch the sequence in the sequence editor and the channel buttons light up. It's perfect. But the visulizer lights don't light up exactly with the channel buttons. Has a small lag between the two

A lot of it depends on the power of your machine.  The PC that runs my show will not run the VIZ smoothly, lots of lag.  Even though it is a bare-bones Windows 7 machine with nothing but Windows and LOR, the CPU and GPU do not have enough speed to keep up.

Never heard of visualizer being slow. I make sure my show matches visualizer exact and that matches real world for me.

If it is slow I would try to fix that.

Are you using 2 displays? One for visualizer and one for seq editor?

Does this happen with all songs?

The only time I have ever had any discrepancy in timing on the visualizer it turned out to be caused by the mp3 I was using. But I honestly did not look to see if the timing on the seq editor was off. I just saw vis off and corrected the mp3....by re-coding in audacity.

Happened to me.  Until I upgraded my sequencing machine, I had to draw my entire show in the animation window.  Loads of fun with 4000 pixels.

During the Beta for S3, we lagged and crashed the Visualizer all the time, DevMike and Bob were kept quite busy, lol. A lot of the problem was the size of the background, as mentioned earlier by 75redman.

I am having the same issue as RON,  Can't really use visualizer for my RGB channels.  Tried making background smaller, but did not help much.

SS work fine though!

Scott.

It's hit or miss depending on what I have going on with the lights. But since the sequence editor is on time ill just trust it'll be same for lights

I been having the same issue. Put in a trouble ticket a while back and the only help answered I got was enhancements are coming. Really we been told this all year. I don't have a bunch of pixels either. Less then 50 rgb channels. Ever since I put v3.11.2 I noticed it being pretty buggy. Its locked up on me all the time. Have to shut down the program and restart etc. Very frustrating with no updates to the software not even for bugs fixes all year what since march probably.  We all no that the enhancements are not coming out this year. But you would think we would get some info on bug fixes.  Really disappointing with LOR. 

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to ask the same question again.  I still have issues with my visualizer not matching up with SE. I've tried most of the suggestions in this thread, but wanted to see if I missed something.  They match up until the lights start changing rapidly.

I read somewhere that Visualizer is most likely to become the main viewer instead of SE, so I wanted to make sure to fix my problem before I'm out of date.

One thing I found that worked, was to use a draw program of some sort and draw your house instead of using the actual picture. When you can reduce the file size from Mbs to Kbs, it makes a big difference.

For a draw program, I use MS Visio.

Does it matter if my LOR files are saved to an external hard drive or to the hard drive on the machine? My viz can't keep up with SE either, I've drawn my house in paint, shrunk the pic and made sure nothing else is running but it doesn't seem to matter. I can watch regular videos on my machine no problems. But viz just can't keep up.

Hard drive speed shouldn't be a factor. I believe that the entire sequence is held in memory when it is being played. (based on observation, I don't have access to source).

Lots of CPU and lots of RAM seem to help. Also, the newer visualizer in 4.0 is notably faster (again observation).

I've normally used the "animator" which is included as part of the sequence editor because the performance is better. This month I dusted off the visualizer again and have been happy at the performance boost I've seen.