Light-O-Rama Forums

Do I have to Connect Controllers in Order and ......

mjdamico23

Hello All,

I have a few questions if you could help me out........ 1.  When I connect my controllers do they have to be in order controller 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.-- So Can I have Cat 5 Cable fro Controller 1 run to Controller 4?  Has anyone used a connector piece for Cat5 cable because length is too long from 1 controller to another ?

You can connect the controllers in any order.

I've known people who have used the connectors. Generally speaking they are okay, but if you start having odd issues with the controller on the other end, that piece would be my first suspect.

• Like 1

I would stay away from connectors for any type of wire / cable.  Connectors tend to introduce additional problems such as bad connections, more locations for moisture to get in, etc.  Typically CAT 5 is good up to ~100 Meters / ~328 Ft. before you start getting attenuation,( AKA Signal Loss) .  Cat 6 has a longer range, but not sure with LOR. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have used connectors with NO issues.  I have a few 60' runs, and unless I have a spare box of cat5 lying around, I have had to use two 40' cables to make the run.

Never had any issues.

Connectors are just one more potential failure place within your show. Go to monoprice.com and pick up the cat5 lengths you need for only a couple of bucks each. It's a very small price for piece of mind.

I buy Cat-5 in the 1000 foot box and make the cables whatever length I need. I agree that avoid the splice connectors as its just another potential point of failure.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked