Light-O-Rama Forums

The right way to build pixel supplies

plasmadrive

Very nice. I like seeing projects where real pride in the details are obviously in play.

Edited by Mega Arch

Plasma.... You DO think like me don't you.... Oh, I see, you stole my notebook :)

FANTASTIC JOB !!!!!

simply AWESOME !

Your attention to detail is , well.... "I knight thee"

Greg

Thanks guys..

Plasma.... You DO think like me don't you.... Oh, I see, you stole my notebook :)

FANTASTIC JOB !!!!!

simply AWESOME !

Your attention to detail is , well.... "I knight thee"

Greg

So Ford.. How did you know it was me that took it.. did somebody squeal on me? 

Thank you for the comments and knight hood!    I do confess though.. I have been building industrial control panels for about 30 years.. I even build the LED ones like industrial.... That one is really going in someone's house.... and it really is going to drive pixels.. lots and lots of em

Edited by plasmadrive

Nice job!!!! Really nice to see when people take pride in there work. I am an alarm installer and soo soo soo many of times I see what is nothing but wire rat nest.

So Plasma,

Can you elaborate on materials used, specifically the blocks at the bottom of the first pic. The power supplies are something I've not seen either.

Maybe a bit of info for us who don't build things like this in a real life situation.

Fantastic job. Nice attention to detail.

Nice job!!!! Really nice to see when people take pride in there work. I am an alarm installer and soo soo soo many of times I see what is nothing but wire rat nest.

Thanks.. i did field troubleshooting for decades and rats nest wiring used to just tick me off.. I hated em.  Always a pain to troubleshoot and they just looked bad.. I'm with you on that one for sure.

So Plasma,

Can you elaborate on materials used, specifically the blocks at the bottom of the first pic. The power supplies are something I've not seen either.

Maybe a bit of info for us who don't build things like this in a real life situation.

Fantastic job. Nice attention to detail.

Thanks Ron,

The chassis is custom made aluminum with white powder coating, the supplies are made by Cosel and are 1500watt @ 48vdc.   They are PBA1500F48 type.  The terminals are Phoenix, the breakers are Eaton and those things at the bottom are actually blue LED pilot lights.

LMAO !!!!

My GPS tracker (The bug below...)  that is linked to my LOR network gave me your IP Address. :P

bug_zps00964e2b.gif

Thanks guys..

So Ford.. How did you know it was me that took it.. did somebody squeal on me? 

Thank you for the comments and knight hood!    I do confess though.. I have been building industrial control panels for about 30 years.. I even build the LED ones like industrial.... That one is really going in someone's house.... and it really is going to drive pixels.. lots and lots of em

LMAO !!!!

My GPS tracker (The bug below...)  that is linked to my LOR network gave me your IP Address. :P

bug_zps00964e2b.gif

I knew I was being bugged!  :ph34r:

Awesome work....

ok, so trying to figure this out...  Your output is 48V to the 8 positive and negative outputs in the bottom right...  How do you get it down to 12 or 5 volts at the pixels?  Why do you use 48V is it better power transfer down to the pixels?  those babies are not cheap....  what would dropping it down to 24V do?  other than add power supplies?

I see that 48V 22A will step down to 5 volt 200 amp, does that mean you can have 4 step down converters  pulling 50 amp per on each of the 8 48V outputs?  

Thanks for teaching   :)

Edited by cowboy casey

Wow.. almost lost this thread.. sorry.  For some reason I thought I posted this answer but it isn't here.. that's strange.... any hooo

This is for a pixel art work that has DC-DC converters built in at the boards.  Those boards will have about 100 watts worth of LEDs on each section.  That makes it very important to have the right voltage at the board input. 

With 48v I can use smaller wire to get to the art work from the supply box and that makes it very manageable to install.  There will actually be many converters in the art piece, not just 4.  Each breaker output will have up to 7 converters.

The breakers are 20amp each and that is to protect the wire, not the supply.  The supplies have their own protection.  The DC converters have their own output protection. 

Dropping the voltage to 24v would increase the number of supplies because those are already 1500 watts each and about as big as they get in that physical size.. it would increase the needed outputs by 2 times or I would have to increase the wire size.. none of those work for this project. 

Craig

• The topic was locked