Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Stopped controlling my RGB Lights

tlukomski

First of all I am new to the LOR world.  I am running LOR S# Advanced and have an entec pro actidongle running to a 27 channel holiday coro controller.  I was progamming using the sequence editor after setting up the dongle, checking control lights and opening up the listener.  I was able to control the lights in a test sequence, but once I stopped the sequence and tried to control the lights again nothing happens.  I have checked and control lights is still checked.  Please help!!

Thanks so much for any and all advice

You cannot test Enttec, ActiDongle or anything DMX in the HU (except for the LOR iDMX). You can only use the HU for LOR products.

Check to make sure "Control Lights" was not turned off. It happens if you don't have a LOR adapter connected. It's under the play button.

The control lights button is checked.  It is really weird.  It cycled through an entire show one night and then the show did not work the next night even though it was scheduled and showed it was playing in the control panel log.  I am at a loss and can not find any advice on line.  Any other suggestions?

A lot of guys have developed a standard troublehooting procedure given your situation -  Used to work: meaning that you've proven your programming and settings, and your initial wiring.    Chances are in this case you'll find the problem in one of a few areas:

1.  Check one more time that the "Control Lights" checkbox is checked, and you have the unlabeled "Blue Box" displayed in the lower right corner of your Sequencer screen.

2.  Check to see if your LOR RS485 dongle is plugged in even if you're not using LOR controllers.   Unplug it and plug it back in again listening for that old Microsoft tone indication a device connected.  Check to see if it will play again.

3.  Disconnect your RGB lights from your controller and plug a known good strip as a test strip directly into your controller.   If it lights, you know your problem is an open/short/distance/power drop problem in the line heading to your RGB's, or in the RGB string itself.      The key here is isolating the problem to the display side, or the controlling side.  

4. Depending on what outcome you get in #3, start working your way leg by leg from the middle outward on the failed side.  It's always easier if you have spares to insert in. 

Of course, we're fully assuming that no actions were taken that adjusts your LOR Network preferences, channel configs, etc from the time when they worked.  From the sound of it, something has just simply come loose that may not be visibly obvious, or that something burned up.

Just curious, what's the distance between your controller and your first pixel, and what wire (type and/or guage) are you using?  Improper wire will cause all kinds of inconsistencies.   

Burnouts can occur if you use the wrong type of lights for your controller, miswires, incorrect wire, incorrect power calculations, or the dreaded moisture draw problems.   

I had the issue one time with Bizywk #1 check list. The "Control Lights" was check but as soon as I clicked on play, it would uncheck. Check it while the sequence is playing. This happen because I didn't have an LOR adapter connected. However it worked fine when running as a show.

For #2, you can check to see if the dongle is connected via Windows Device Manager. It will show you the comm port assigned for the dongle. It doesn't happen offer, but your assign comm port could have changed between the first time it worked and now. I would removed all adapters from the Network Pref in SE and re-assign again. Make sure all adapters are disconnected from the PC when you remove, then plug in 1 at a time and assign.

As already started, improper wire is a big factor. Be there done that.

Edited by CLD Kevin

I only have RGB lights so I did not purchase an LOR dongle.  Do I have to have that even though I am not using that?  Control lights is checked, but I do not have a blue unlabled box in the corner.  There is a box there but it is not blue.  I have a test flood light that is running through the test cycle.  Then I connect that same flood to my actidongle and the flood is still running the test sequence.  The flood is connected to the actidongle by cat 5 that is no longer than 20 feet.  This is so frustrating.  I just wish it would work.

I had a similar problem last year sometimes the sequence would play and then not play my problem was a bad dmx dongle switched it out with a new dongle never had problem again just a thought .

I only have RGB lights so I did not purchase an LOR dongle.  Do I have to have that even though I am not using that?  Control lights is checked, but I do not have a blue unlabled box in the corner.  There is a box there but it is not blue.  I have a test flood light that is running through the test cycle.  Then I connect that same flood to my actidongle and the flood is still running the test sequence.  The flood is connected to the actidongle by cat 5 that is no longer than 20 feet.  This is so frustrating.  I just wish it would work.

If you have the USB drivers loaded you dont actually have to have a physical LOR dongle conneted. (I THINK... its an FTDI driver)

Unfortunately, I dont have a link on where to get it. Since I do have a LOR dongle, I have had the drivers loaded since day 1.

However, I test my DMX setup with only an E1.31 connection from the laptop to my J1Sys controller(s) and never miss a beat.

You might request a service ticket with LOR. They should be able to provide the drivers needed.

Bob

You must have a LOR dongle hooked up.  If not, LOR will continually be searching for this dongle to communicate with it and will not output properly, even if it is only RGB output.  I had a similar problem last week which was resolved the minute I hooked up the dongle.

Try going into network preferences. Under the LOR tab, make sure you do not have any LOR networks defined.

If you have a LOR network defined, without a dongle attached,  it will not start up the listener properly and the

control lights setting will get unchecked.   Make sure under the DMX tab, you have your DMX adapter defined.

Also look at the thread :  http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/23207-initial-setup-for-e131-if-you-do-not-have-an-lor-rs485-usb-adapter/

As you may need to at least have the drivers on your system to make it work.

• The topic was locked