Light-O-Rama Forums

Labeling controller wires.

packen

What is the best method for labeling the 16 cords coming out of the controllers so you know which channel is which wire? Tape doesnt work very well, it comes off when out in the elements.

What does everybody else use?

I got my controllers premade so they were already labeled, but for my extension cords and light strings, I use plastic metallic labeling tape in my Dymo labeler. I don't have extreme weather conditions when setup but in storage the temperatures get to around 110 in the summer and after three years I have only had about 6-8 out of 565 labels that have come off and I had to replace them. Haven't pulled the lights out for this year yet.

White paint pen on the flat part of the socket. It helps in the darkness and when you're farsighted and can't find your glasses.

post-3901-0-88698300-1413080318_thumb.jp

I use the wire labels you get in a notepad...vinyl tape I guess but they are called "wire labels". You can get them from Home Depot for $7. I wrap them around on themselves.

They are only 2 years old but no sign of wear at all. And they have been washed plenty...Oregon does get some precip.

• 3 weeks later...

I use key tags and number them with a sharpie. haven't had any problems with them used very small key rings and just pressed them tighter on the end of the plugs. Used the idea for years and years in the military numbering tools checked out of the main tool room to people to use and bring back. That way when it wears out or I need to change it to a different number makes it easy to replace or change.

Edited by Old Sarge

White paint pen on the flat part of the socket. It helps in the darkness and when you're farsighted and can't find your glasses.

attachicon.gifsockets.jpg

We did the same, worked very well.

Sharpies and paint pens work well but I prefer wire labels.  Over the last six years, my controllers and channels have changed so much that hardly any are designated the same as they once were. I like to have something that is removable.

??? Your channels on the controller change???

Mine stay the same so I use a silver sharpie.