Light-O-Rama Forums

Garage Door Covers

caniac

would love to put something on my garage door that is Christmas like but looking online the prices seem high, is there a DIY way to do this?

If your door is metal, you could go with printed magnetic signs, but I doubt that would be much cheaper.  BTW, I do have one of those Garage door images & the folks around here love it.  Worth every penny.

If your door is metal, you could go with printed magnetic signs, but I doubt that would be much cheaper.  BTW, I do have one of those Garage door images & the folks around here love it.  Worth every penny.

I second this.  

(disclosure:  I am not a part of this company, nor do I receive any commissions -- But I wish I did!)

http://www.mydoordecor.com/Pages/default.aspx

These really are THAT good looking.  I purchased one for my parent's home, and it is GREAT.  People regularly comment on how nice it is, and want to know where they got it from.  They are WELL made, and are nicely printed.  The vinyl is thick and durable.  It has remained pliable, even in FL sun, for more than 5 years.  I (and my parents) have recommended them to many people and no one has ever been disappointed.

Ok, now the downside is that they are pricey.  But the quality and WOW factor are worth the price.  You will NOT be disappointed either.

They stay on your door 24/7 during the season.  There are metal U brackets that go over the top of your door.  There are metal brackets on BUNGEE cords for the bottom.  When the door opens, the bungees stretch and retract allowing it to stay on - no need to remove it.  Your only issue may be with the door handle - the instructions that come with the decor show how to cut a hole to allow the handle through and slide up/down during opening/closing.  However, if you have a garage door opener (and who doesn't these days), I recommend you do what my father did:  Just remove the locking mechanism from the door.  Then you don't have to cut the decor (and you don't see a handle sticking out of it).

FYI:  I believe there is one other company out there selling garage door covers which are less expensive.  I have NO experience with them.

One note - be REAL careful with these when it's below freezing.  No problem on the garage door, BUT when removing they can crack as you roll them up.  I have suggested in the past to take them down on a real sunny day or gently carry inside to warm up before rolling it.

I second this.  

(disclosure:  I am not a part of this company, nor do I receive any commissions -- But I wish I did!)

http://www.mydoordecor.com/Pages/default.aspx

These really are THAT good looking.  I purchased one for my parent's home, and it is GREAT.  People regularly comment on how nice it is, and want to know where they got it from.  They are WELL made, and are nicely printed.  The vinyl is thick and durable.  It has remained pliable, even in FL sun, for more than 5 years.  I (and my parents) have recommended them to many people and no one has ever been disappointed.

Ok, now the downside is that they are pricey.  But the quality and WOW factor are worth the price.  You will NOT be disappointed either.

They stay on your door 24/7 during the season.  There are metal U brackets that go over the top of your door.  There are metal brackets on BUNGEE cords for the bottom.  When the door opens, the bungees stretch and retract allowing it to stay on - no need to remove it.  Your only issue may be with the door handle - the instructions that come with the decor show how to cut a hole to allow the handle through and slide up/down during opening/closing.  However, if you have a garage door opener (and who doesn't these days), I recommend you do what my father did:  Just remove the locking mechanism from the door.  Then you don't have to cut the decor (and you don't see a handle sticking out of it).

FYI:  I believe there is one other company out there selling garage door covers which are less expensive.  I have NO experience with them.

I've used their product for years on my old house.  Looks great, holds up well.  Unfortunately, my new house has a 1 1/2 car garage door so it doesn't fit.

I saw this thread and started looking at them. Seems like a great idea. Current pricing suggests about $249 for a double wide garage door. I don't have a lock handle sticking out so I'm thinking about getting one. Good information on the temperature to take them down and noted....appreciate that greatly! Saw some with LearJets inside :) Lots of possibilities. 

• Like 1

I have had 2 of these for years and they are outstanding quality. They hold up in the freezing weather no problem. The only issue I have had with them, is that you cannot open your rollup garage door all the way. THis is not a problem as it is my wifes car that gets into the garage and it is low to the ground, so the door does not need to open all the way to get her car in.

What happens is that he has (or had in my case, not sure if he changed his design) long plastic (10") items he double tape glues to the bottom of the mural. Those plastic items is what the bungy rope and hooks attach to for the bottom of the door. Those plastic items if you roll the door all the way up, pop some of the hooks off the top of the door. They don't roll over the apex of the door smoothly because of their length. Really no damage to the mural at all, it just makes a loud POP and you would probably not want to do that every day for the season.

I'm in my garage many times each day. Yes, garage door opener so its going to open all the way. Hope that wouldn't be a problem for them and that they were designed with this in mind

• 2 years later...

Have the covers for Christmas and the doors work properly with them on no worries.., only thing is ive been trying to get Mr Tim to reply on a custom one for 3months now with no luck I think he's out of business 

Link for images is dead.  Anyone have a working link to an image, or a link to a site for these?  Really would like to get a look at them.

Pretty cool.  However, for that price I can get a projector, and change the image, or even have moving images.  Guess the banners would be better during daylight hours, though.

On 7/22/2017 at 9:38 AM, Dcroc said:

Pretty cool.  However, for that price I can get a projector, and change the image, or even have moving images.  Guess the banners would be better during daylight hours, though.

Provided of course that you have a white garage door.

• 1 year later...

Wanted to ask- I bought one a few years back from doordecor and have really loved it.  Last year was the first year I really tried lighting it up with spots (10W RGB).  I ended up placing  the spot on the driveway directly in front of the door each night as I didn't like the side view.  I felt like it washed more of the house around the door than I wanted.  Has anyone found a better light fixture or way to light up just the door without the over spread onto the house?