Light-O-Rama Forums

Are dongles from e682 wired wrong or is RGB not in correct order?

Al Saunders

Hi DMX experts,

So yesterday evening I got my total package out and started setting things up. After a little working on the ip address setting I got my laptop to get to the e682 webpage. I am using 16 strings of 50 of the square pixels. The item description says they are 2811 pixels. After applying power I never got the test sequence  and according to the e682 manual PDF it should have been enabled at the factory. I set everything the way I feel I should. I'll be using unicast and since I don't have access to my LOR RS485 dongle I removed the Comm setting in my LOR network preferences. I am able to communicate from my PC to the e682 controller but do not have any response from the pixels. The dongles/connectors were premade and connected to the e682 from the vendor. If you are looking at the controller board each of the 16 plugs have the red on the far right pin of the 4 pin connector, next to that is a yellow wire then an open pin and on the far left is the black wire. Then it ends in a female three prong plug. All of the 16 pixel strings have both male and female ends and the large arrow is pointing towards the male end that plugs into the female connector that goes to the board. Since I am getting communication from my PC to the e682 but no response from the strings I'm thinking either they all were wired wrong or the RGB is not in the normal order. Any ideas? If it is the RGB order and if it's not the normal R-G-B then how does that effect my sequencing? I've been using the CCR fake out that Ron Boyd describes. 

Any help would be appreciated.   :blink:

Thanks,

Al

If you can get to your 682's web page, does it show a test pattern is active? If so, then your pixels may be wired wrong. Wire color doesn't mean anything. You should be able to look at the chip on the pixel and see which is power, ground, and data. Then, make sure those match with your e682.

Also, when you talk about the "arrow", that's indicative of how the data travels. It should point AWAY from the controller, not towards it.

Also, only plug in one strand. Just in case there's a wiring issue, better to fry one than fry all.

Edited by jlowe

Per the e682 manual PDF it had a default test pattern and never got the single chase through the pixel string. I changed the test pattern from 0 to 3 and never got any type of test pattern. I also ran through a test sequence in SE and never got any response from the pixels. I'll have to get my reading glasses and really look at the pixels. As for the big arrow on the bottom of the pixel they all are pointing TOWARDS the controller/pixel 1 not away. I thought this may be wrong. I did only plug in one string but put them all away so I have no idea which one was used. :(

Since these came pre-wired to the controller from the vendor it sounds like I need to get back in touch with him. I can easily change the pixels string around but the connector coming from the controller has female ends so I obviously can only plug into them with the male end of the strings that end up having the arrow point toward the controller.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Al

Al, can you get a screenshot of your E682 Web page? Also, can you take a quick picture of one of the strings plugged up and also one not plugged up? And then, a close up of the back side of one of the pixels. You should be able to read 5v or 12v, whichever they are, DI for your data in, should be the center, and then GRD for ground. It should look something like this:

5v-->

DI-->

GRD-->

The 682 has the order on the board, although, the wires into the connector sound right. It is possible, however, that they may be switch on the pigtail.

When you tried the sequence, was the DMX Listener running? 

Hey Ron,

I don't have the system with me so it'll take a few days probably but I can get you the screen shots and pictures. I was thinking maybe I connected the pixels backwards not having any instruction on which end to connect. I "ASSUMED" that I should connect the long end to the female end coming from the controller and not the short end. The other end had a connector on it as well but never thought to look to see if that was a male end as well. I'm thinking about getting on a chat with the vendor and quickly ordering two extra pixel strings since I don't know which ones I connected and maybe fried.

Yes, the DMX listener was running if you mean the DOS screen, then yes that was running even if I didn't have the e682 connected. I'll try and post screenshots and pictures but if I'm not able to I'll email them to you.

Thanks,

Al

I only asked because I read somewhere that someone bought some of the pixel strings with pigtails already attached and they were put on the out end instead of the input side. It's a stab in the dark and the first thing I look at.

Ron- I remember reading that as well. As soon as I saw that bit about the arrows pointing in, I figured that's what happened.

Al- the advantage is that I think data comes down the middle wire, so, you probably only put power down the ground line. I *think* your pixels will still work.

I am the one who received the pixels which were wired backwards. i have sent you a message.

-Paul

Edited by Paul R
  • Like 1

Hi Paul, it seems you weren't the only one. I just got done a chat and he didn't think any others had been shipped. He's replacing but doesn't have any in stock so my lightshow part of this Saturday's birthday party/BBQ/bonfire will have to wait till another time. Oh well, this takes a bit of stress off of me.

I really appreciate the help averyone has given me.

Later,

Al

Al,

I received 16 strands of (50) 2811 pixels without ANY connectors. Finally after placing another order the vendor sent me the connectors and I installed them myself. I also had a string that had two arrows facing one another , fortunately on the end of a string. Peeling back the plastic on one revealed the pixels proper wiring order.

Don't throw away your incorrectly wired strings as most likely they can be salvaged with a little rewiring.

Make sure the jumper settings on your e682 are for the proper power supply 5v and not 12v. I learned that lesson.

Chip

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the advise. I'll double check the e682 power setting but it seemed correct for the 12v strings I am using. I thought about rewiring them also but he offered to replace so I am waiting on the new strings to come in for him to ship out. I am going to ask if he wants these strings back and if so will ship back. Again, thanks for the tip. :)

Later,

Al

Edited by Al Saunders

Last year I got my e682, power supply and 12 ccr with pigtails, connected everything and nothing happened, e682 vendor toll me to be sure the power supply is feeding the two sides of the e682 ( left and right ) and in my case my ccr 2811 are 12v so set the power supply to 12v output. Some power supplies has two outputs and the e682 has two inputs, make sure you use the correct voltage from you power supply to feed you two e682 I power inputs.

Mixnight, thanks for the advise. The power supply actually has three outputs and if I remember correctly the jumpers on the e682 were already set correctly to output 12v as should be. But I'll double check before connecting the replacement strings.

Later,

Al

• 1 month later...

Hi Al, just as a point of reference, the E682 jumpers DO NOT control the OUTPUT voltage.

The jumpers control whether or not to power the internal workings of the board itself from 5v, 12v or other. That's really it. It will not step down 12v to 5v for the outputs. What ever voltage you supply to J19 needs be configured with the jumpers for the board AND it needs to be the same voltage of the lights you connect to channels 3-1 through 4-4.

You can use a different power supply with a different voltage connected to J18, as this only supplies power to the lights on channels 1-1 through 2-4, and does not power the E682 itself.

Hope this helps!

Scott

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. I will double check everything prior to plugging in the replacement pixel strings but the e682 manual I found online says the factory setting is for 12v and the pixel strings are 12v and the power supply that came with the package is 12v. So I should be fine as I'm not using any 5v items/equipment.

Thanks again for the help.

Later,

Al

Hi ,

I just recieved my E682 and also had a problem.. The test pattern that is set wasn't a good test pattern. That can be set via the Web page.. they do have some neat patterns built in.

I did find that i had to set up the network connections, but I used Vego matic to input the 1200 channels. I also had to check the bulbs carefully as I have WS2811 and had to specify that in system setting and I had to change wires to match on the E682.. I did find that if I read the manual thoroughly, most of my answers were there. I just read the pictures and tested things out as it said the same thing. Set for 12V at the factory. I did get my setup to work, but Sheesh! 400 LEDS with 3x in each doing color changes on the dining room table... Even I hit Blinky Flashy BSOD. :)

Edited by kiplorenzo

• The topic was locked