Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR USB485

JediKnight2

i will need to use DMX this year to run my LOR boxes.  I usually use a LOR USB485 adapter.  i assume if i use the LOR adapter i will NOT need to worry about crossover cables from my PC to the first LOR box...is this correct? so basically, hook the LOR usb485 to my pc and say its raw dmx, run from that to my lor box and i should be good to go?

Edited by JediKnight2

If I understand correctly from your post, you want to hook the equipment up the same way you would using LOR and just output DMX to the boxes.

That won't work. LOR and DMX protocol are transmitted on a different pin output.

You would need LOR / DMX cat5 crossover

Edited by sticks4legs

If you are using the LOR USB485 dongle and LOR boxes you do not need a crossover cable. Both use pins 1&2 for the data. Just set it up to run DMX and your good to go.

If you are going to use another dongle other than LOR then you will need the crossover cable.

Set it up on the bench first to verify it works and you have the settings correct in the software and the ID's on the boxes are correct for the DMX channels.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you was supposed to use a DMX dongle, not the LOR USB485 protocol to run DMX?

The LOR dongle will work as a dumb DMX dongle and not as a true intelligent DMX dongle. That means your computer will have to do the more work generating the DMX data.

• The topic was locked