Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension Cord Storage

namecipS

As I get farther and farther in to this addiction, it's becoming more clear that I need to start planning for storage.  I've got over 150 extension cords of different and common sizes and gauges.  I'm sure that total will grow.

How do you store your cords?  I'm thinking about some sort of spool type method.  If you've built something, please share some pics and/or ideas

I use 50 gallon trash cans on wheels. 4 of them broken down by length. That way they are easy to roll around.

I also have some stored in the tote bins, but those are mostly the 6'-9'-12'-15' lamp cord types.

If you can, make them from SPTx cord. I wish I would have done that in my early years. Saves on storage space.

We use plastic wreath storage containers similar to these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wreath-Storage-Box-Red/19335317

We loop the cords, secure them with Velcro ties and store them in these. We also use wire tags to label what element the cords are used for. Like these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/681367/Office-Depot-Brand-Shipping-Tags-With/

This makes for a faster setup from year to year. The containers stack nicely..at least the ones we get at Target.

+1 on the 50 gallon trash cans on wheels.  I use 30 gallon trash cans without wheels and they get pretty heavy.  SPT cords mostly stored in totes.

I store everything in totes that will fit in them. I have decked my attic to store as much as I can there. A big 50 gallon size loaded with cords would just eat my lunch.

I have them in boxes, organized by size.  The outside of box is labeled with how many of each I have, and the custom made cords are all labeled.  My store bought ones, such as 6', don't need labels, but they're all grouped together and counted.

I use Kitty Litter Buckets, on the wires and lights, they stack and are not to heavy to carry up the ladder to place in the attic.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY

Here is what I use for my master run cords - usually all 14ga.  It holds over 1000ft of cord and my zip line on top.

All my other zip cords are in a foot locker, all marked with their lengths.

Here is what I use for my master run cords - usually all 14ga.  It holds over 1000ft of cord and my zip line on top.

All my other zip cords are in a foot locker, all marked with their lengths.

attachicon.gifcord caddy.JPG

That's what I'm talking about, creative ideas like this.

I found the directions for this somewhere on this site or another.

All my extension cords are zip cord except for the cords that power the controllers.  I put the zip cords in totes and store them on shelves in the garage.

Since I re-use the zip cords in the same place each year, I have the male end of all my zip cords labeled with the controller and channel number.  The female end is color coded, and numbered if necessary.

Jerry

I do it pretty much the same as Jerry.  I keep all my cords in large totes.  (We're up to 16 of them now between the shed and garage.)  I also re-use the same zip cords each year on 75% or more of the display elements and they're all labeled on both ends.  When setup time comes we load the wheelbarrow with standard length store-bought cords and take it to whatever part of the yard we're working.

I keep mine in cabinets in my garage.  When we redid the kitchen at my grandpa's condo I took all the overhead cabinets and put them in my garage.  I labeled the female end of all the cords with the length in black marker.  This way I don't have to keep track if they get mixed up.  I use black electrical tape to hold them together after coiling them up.  I've bought a lot of 6' and 9' cords from All a Dollar over the years and they stack really nice in the cabinet.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used SPT wire and created wire looms for each part of the yard with labels on both ends. So when the time comes I can just lay out the loom, plug in according to the label and I am good to go.

In the offseason they go in large totes.

I use SPT2 wire in our display, and store about 1,000 wires in about 30 Home Depot totes.  Those totes then stack up in a Rubbermaid container.

Of course, all the wires are numbered and stored sequentially...It makes for an easy time setting up since I have a list and know exactly which bin to go to for a particular wire...

post-30-0-83700100-1411946775_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randy

Reading all your storage woes makes me glad that almost everything in my display is part of my year round landscaping, and therefore permanently installed with the wiring in conduit. The only items that are not permanent are:

1) The six CCP arches (one custom SPT-1 extension cord with three outlets), and three pieces of Cat-5).

2) The pixel tree (one 15 foot AC cord hardwired to the power supply, and one 25 foot piece of Cat-5).

3) The GECE bulbs on the eves (each string has three conductors of SPT-1 of 10 - 25 foot back to the controller).

Everything else is already there except some WS-2811 strip that if I finish building the brick this weekend, I will have permanently installed next weekend.

The GECE bulbs will go up next month and get used for Halloween, and the arches and pixel tree go up starting right after Halloween.

I save bags from walmart and the grocery store. I can then write on the bag letting myself know what part of the display it belongs too. Then they all go into tubs with lids. Next year I can pull them out and don't have to match up 16, 22, 24, 25 and 30 foot cords with each item in the show. I then can save up more bags throughout the year to replace those that get old or damaged. Bigger cords will get double bagged.