Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencer Won't Play?

fanggallo

Hi, so recently I decided to work on a few more sequences but upon trying to play the sequence, it does not want to play. The horizontal timing bar appears and just sits there at the first grid column while everything else is grayed-out. The program seems frozen until I go to exit and it asks me to save and then is no longer grayed out. What is going wrong that the sequencer is freezing and not playing? I've tried several sequences/audio files and its the same thing.

Any solutions? Thanks.

Can't say if this is your issue, but one thing I've had issues with is video{software} acceleration, I have to change mine to almost none to watch videos, but on other programs such as games or software that wants to use higher accelerations won't work, so I have to move it to full acceleration for those programs.  Then move it back if I want to watch or work on video applications, full acceleration and videos won't play.

But I've never had to worry about the LOR SE doing this on any setting I set it on, but just tossing it out there in case it could be a factor.  I don't think it is, but you just never know, how from one system to another, or how that is going to affect something.

Hopefully someone may know any other criteria that creates this problem and chime in with a viable, working solution to your issue.

As the only other issue I can think might, not 100% on this, cause this is the music file is an MP3 and not in CBR {Constant Bit Rate} format, and is in VBR {Variable Bit Rate}, as this sometimes will cause a lag, delay or possible hang when trying to play the sequence.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else may cause the issue you're experiencing.

Edited by Orville

I'd look to see if you have the "Control lights" checked or unchecked.  If it's checked try unchecking it and see if the sequence will play properly.

I've had the exact same thing happen when the Control Lights option was checked and there was a conflict in the network settings, or if the control lights was checked and there was no USB485 device connected to the proper comm port.

I'd look to see if you have the "Control lights" checked or unchecked.  If it's checked try unchecking it and see if the sequence will play properly.

I've had the exact same thing happen when the Control Lights option was checked and there was a conflict in the network settings, or if the control lights was checked and there was no USB485 device connected to the proper comm port.

Thanks George, I'll check that out.

George is indeed wise and right on target. 

The other thing that will cause that is if your playback range is "Selection" but you only have a single click selected and looped back.  It could be that youre actually playing the one slice over and over and over. It will just gray out and look unresponsive just as you are describing.  Check to be sure it's on one of the other settings such as "Play From" or that you have a longer area selected.  

If those things don't work, try it again without visualizer - if you're using that. There have been a number of quirky issues that can appear if there is a conflict in that software.  

I assume you've started with the three finger salute?  (CNTL+ALT+DEL - AKA Restart)   

Thanks for the advice. Any basic idea on how to boost the video usage as you suggested?

Right click on your desktop, when the pop up box shows up, click properties, then click the "Settings" tab at the top of the next pop up box, usually the last box on the right, after clicking the Settings tab, click on the tab labeled "Advanced", should be near the bottom right of the screen,  then when the next popup box opens, click on the tab "Troubleshoot",  you should see a slider along with the words "Hardware Acceleration" to the left of it.   Slide the slider to the position you think will improve your video, and then click Apply or OK to set it at the current or changed setting.  

To the left is slower{no acceleration}, full acceleration is all the way to the right.   It may take some trial and error to get it where you want for best results.

BTW: George and Bizywk are both correct, those can do that too, cause the issues you're having, I forgot about that Play Lights being an issue, but know it happens, because it happens to me from time to time too.  It's just one of those things that's so obvious and simple to me now, so I just don't think about it and just automatically fix it, along with the same thing bizywk also brought up.   So I'm glad George and bizywk brought those up as well, as they weren't even a thought for me at the time I read your initial post.

Edited by Orville

George is indeed wise and right on target. 

The other thing that will cause that is if your playback range is "Selection" but you only have a single click selected and looped back.  It could be that youre actually playing the one slice over and over and over. It will just gray out and look unresponsive just as you are describing.  Check to be sure it's on one of the other settings such as "Play From" or that you have a longer area selected.  

If those things don't work, try it again without visualizer - if you're using that. There have been a number of quirky issues that can appear if there is a conflict in that software.  

I assume you've started with the three finger salute?  (CNTL+ALT+DEL - AKA Restart)   

What I do to correct this is I'll click and highlight a section in the time line area {just above the waveform, if displayed}, then click on it again to clear it.  Then the sequence usually plays just fine.

NOTE TO NEWBIES

You can choose whether or not to display the waveform. In the SE, go to VIEW > WAVEFORM. Obviously, the choice is yours, but I recommend viewing the waveform to help you identify beats and/or significant events in the song you're sequencing. As always, YMMV.

I agree with George gere 100%, the waveform is great for identifying beats, as well as low and high peaks in the music.  

I leave mine there all the time, also helps me out a lot when I'm attempting to create the illusion of a Blow Mold or Wire Frame singing the part.

I don't have singing faces that have mouth movement parts as yet, so I just emulate the song via C7 or Standard bulbs in a blow mold, or the mini-lights surrounding an entire Wire Frame.

One of these days I'll convert my two very large Wire Frame Skulls to an actual singing face {create mouth movements}, but for now it works as it is and my viewers don't seem to mind.  Just something to add a bigger wow factor in the future.

Edited by Orville