Light-O-Rama Forums

72 CCR Visualizer fake out DMX 150 pixel strings

ItsMeBobO

Rearranged a bunch of CCRs in the visualizer to simulate 150 pixel DMX strings.  Duplicate definition in SE.    Could be handled in ImportOmation to avoid the duplication.

That is awesome Bobo! How are you creating the shadow CCR channel config in the sequence editor. I know you didn't manually create all those CCR's then manually delete the extra channels each CCR normally creates. Is that a feature of VEGO? If so can you do a quick video of how to shadow a DMX pixel tree channels to a CCR pixel tree's channels please sir?

Vegomatic has always been able to create CCR channels (without macro channels) for SE Andy.   And it creates Visualizer props for CCRs.   There is code to create DMX props for the Visualizer too but that has been disabled for a long time since the limitation on DMX fixtures is low.      DougD would you be able to chime in here.    Doug has been using the CCR method to visualize his DMX strings for several seasons.   His two configs have CCR setup for sequencing and to be seen in the Visualizer and then he imports a DMX setup up (same channel arrangement different network type and numbers) to play on the physical lights.   At this point he can no longer Visualize them but can see the lights instead. He uses importOmation tool for this since he has a large number of sequences to import.

The main problem with doing this has been that CCRs in the visualizer must be 50 pixel but many people don't have 50 pixel DMX strings.   In the video above example, the DMX string happened to be a multiple of 50 so I was able to work it out with a little manipulation.  

Sitting here describing this for a few minutes has given me an idea.   The current Vego process does not allow a CCR string to cross controllers.  But it does allow a DMX string to cross universes.   This was intentional because the CCR strings are not generally cut and there is an integrated controller.  DMX controllers are more generic and can route the universe / channel info.       For visualization purposes I could drop the CCR restriction allowing the arrangement which would not physically be done to exist.  Viz does not care if consecutive number pixels are adjacent to each other, it only expects the count to be 50.  

So.. it might be possible to generate shadow CCR channels for any DMX arrangement of any size strings.  The only problem is see at the moment is any remainder would have to be tacked on the end to make the final pixel count a multiple of 50. 

I have used Vegomatic exclusively when adding in my CCR's this year. It works great for that. It will even add in a CCR at say 48 pixels. That way I didnt have to delete the channels when adding in props of various lengths.

So do you bring your current channel config into vego and convert it to CCR's or just manually create each CCR in vego and export? Doug tried explaining this to me last year and I didn't do it for some reason. Cant remember why. I may need you to teamview me Doug so I can wrap my head around this.

• 2 weeks later...

I sequence my Pixel Tree in SS and have been looking for a way to incorporate it into the VIZ with the rest of my display.  I guess I stumbled upon the same thing without using VegoMatic.  I created a 12 CCR tree prop in the VIZ and lined it up with the same 12 CCR channels in the SE.  Along with the 12 CCR channels, I have 600 RGB channels, which are the "real" tree channels.  I just added 7 empty channels to every leg of the RGB channels to account for the CCR macro channels.  Then I just copy/paste the CCR channels to the RGB channels

Edited by LarryDrumAZ

• 2 months later...

Vegomatic has always been able to create CCR channels (without macro channels) for SE Andy.   And it creates Visualizer props for CCRs.   There is code to create DMX props for the Visualizer too but that has been disabled for a long time since the limitation on DMX fixtures is low.      DougD would you be able to chime in here.    Doug has been using the CCR method to visualize his DMX strings for several seasons.   His two configs have CCR setup for sequencing and to be seen in the Visualizer and then he imports a DMX setup up (same channel arrangement different network type and numbers) to play on the physical lights.   At this point he can no longer Visualize them but can see the lights instead. He uses importOmation tool for this since he has a large number of sequences to import.

The main problem with doing this has been that CCRs in the visualizer must be 50 pixel but many people don't have 50 pixel DMX strings.   In the video above example, the DMX string happened to be a multiple of 50 so I was able to work it out with a little manipulation.  

Sitting here describing this for a few minutes has given me an idea.   The current Vego process does not allow a CCR string to cross controllers.  But it does allow a DMX string to cross universes.   This was intentional because the CCR strings are not generally cut and there is an integrated controller.  DMX controllers are more generic and can route the universe / channel info.       For visualization purposes I could drop the CCR restriction allowing the arrangement which would not physically be done to exist.  Viz does not care if consecutive number pixels are adjacent to each other, it only expects the count to be 50.  

So.. it might be possible to generate shadow CCR channels for any DMX arrangement of any size strings.  The only problem is see at the moment is any remainder would have to be tacked on the end to make the final pixel count a multiple of 50. 

I am not sure if this thread is going to be the answer to my problem or not. I kind of hope it is and hopefully you folks can help me.

I have a NON-CCR Pixel tree running in DMX mode. It is 24 strands and 40 pixels long. I also will have a star on top of the tree (10 pixels) that I will tie into one of the strings just to get signal and power to. This will be a 180 deg tree.

I do not have not have Superstar software nor can afford that for sometime to come. I have the Advanced S3 license.

I want to use Visualizer but yesterday found out I cannot with this pixel tree in dmx mode with it...I think. I see that Vegomatic can only do 50 pixels, not 40 pixels per string. So the "Shadow Pixels" you speak of. Is this going to be the way I could get this imported into Visualizer and make it work? I hate spending all this money on a pixel tree just to find out I can sequence for it :-(  I have asked this question in several areas but really haven't found the answer. Hopefully you folks can help me.