Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR S3 fails to load in Win 7

alchrisr01

I am finally getting around to working on this years show, just a little late.  When I tried to open the sequence editor, I get a series of error messages and a failure to load.  I have tried other LOR applications (hardware utility, diagnostic, show editor, etc) and they load fine.  I am running v3.10.12 Advanced on a Windows 7 home premium SP1 laptop.  It worked fine last year and now there must have been some sort of windows update that has caused an issue.  The pop-up windows are as follows:

Microsoft Windows Common Control 3....

automation error

vbalDTab6

runtime error '400'

automation error

vbalExplorerBarLib

runtime error "0"

LOR Sequence Editor

vbalEplorer6.ocx outdated

(a long paragraph in this window but the gist is an outdated or incorrect .ocxfile)

I have not as yet tried an uninstall/reinstall as that is my last resort.  I have checked for all windows updates and rebooted several times with no change.  Any advice would be appreciated. I tried a forum search and a google search but turned up no similar issues.

thanks,

chris

Let's clean out the Light-O-Rama entries in your Windows Registry and in essence, install the S3 application from scratch. 

If possible, open Sequence Editor and goto Help/About LOR Sequence Editor. Copy your license key number somewhere. You'll need this later. Shut down the Sequence Editor. 

If the LOR light bulb is in your system tray, right click and pick 'Unload Light-O-Rama' 

Go back into the Control Panel and uninstall the Light-O-Rama application. 

Now we're going to wipe the LOR Registry entries. 

Make a backup of your Windows Registry (do an internet search if you've never done this before... but it's easy) 

Now download this program: http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/3.10.14/LORRegistryWipe.exe 

Run the LORRegistryWipe.exe program. 

This will clear out all LOR entries in the Windows Registry. 

Now reload the Light-O-Rama S3 package. 

It won't remember your Light-O-Rama License Key but you can use what you copied at the beginning of this process or find your license key here: http://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html 

That's it! 

Run your tests again.

Success!   I did have problems downloading the wipe.exe file.  For some reason the link went to the LOR home page.  I tried IE and Firefox.  A quick google and I found a link that worked on another forum.  So far so good. Thanks

Wow, sorry about that.  I just tried the link and sure enough it goes to the home page.  We recently did some modifications to the website which may have broken the link.  I'll get that fixed.

Glad you are up and running.

Hmmm, just had the same exact issue on my "build" computer. I had not opened the Sequence Editor for some time on it, so I don't know when the problem cropped up. However, my "show" laptop seems fine. Any idea what causes this?

Hmmm, just had the same exact issue on my "build" computer. I had not opened the Sequence Editor for some time on it, so I don't know when the problem cropped up. However, my "show" laptop seems fine. Any idea what causes this?

In a word?  Microsoft.

Typically it's a Microsoft update that kills our libraries.  They tend to blindly re-write DLLs and registry entries.  

However, installing other programs can have the same effect if those installers are not well behaved.

For example, you may install program 'X' that uses one or more DLLs that we also use.  The problem is that the version they included is NOT the most recent, or their installer is otherwise badly behaved.  They either overwrite the DLL - and then fail to register it properly, or they overwrite the DLL and register it, not checking if there is a newer version already installed on the computer (which means they should SKIP it).

Basically, Windows is barfing because the DLL registered is not the DLL expected or the DLL found on disk.  For this discussion an OCX is just another type of DLL.

Wiping and re-installing S2/S3 fixes the issue since our installer IS well behaved.  It will check installed DLLs before blindly overwriting them, and if ours are newer it will also properly register them.

Super geeks can try to simply re-register (using regsvr32) the bad DLLs.  However if you don't know what you are doing this can totally destroy your Registry -- and any hope of booting Windows up again.  Re-installing is MUCH safer.

Thanks Mike. I have had a few Windows updates since the last time I envoked SE. Those Msoft bastards :)

Microsoft = Moronic Idiots Constantly Rewriting Our Software Often Failing Tenaciously

If LOR worked on the Apple Operating System WITHOUT the use of a Windows Clone, or whatever they use to run Windows software on an Apple today, I would abandon Microsoft in a heartbeat!

Can't even count the number of times I've had to go and fix something that wasn't broken until Microsoft BROKE it!

Well this Microsoft bug got me sometime!  

Went to use LOR today and the same problem hit me.

I'm running Window 8.

I'm glad I came to the forums for the solution!

Here is a link for the wipe tool.  Good ol Google found it on the forums.  http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.0.0/LORRegistryWipe.exe

Took less than ten minutes to complete the task and verify the program.

Edited by Jeff140