Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16dV6 - Guidance Needed 2 separate controllers with detection issues -

Sidetrack73

ok so I bought 2 controllers both are CTB16Dv6 blue board controllers. Each of them seem to have similar yet different problems. I don't know where else to go before opening a trouble ticket and getting someone else to fix the blasted things. I need these controllers up and running ASAP so figured best place was here.. 

Controller ID 07 (so we can describe the controller issues separately)

When plugged in, blinks like a typical controller, when plugged into the data cable on my RS485 controller goes solid (sounds typical so far). Bring up the hardware Manager software, auto refresh comport and click ok does not find it. can not detect (comm7 serial in Device manager). Change to a working controller I have, detects and sets up properly, showing controller in hardware utility and all. Switch back to the Controller ID 07 and refresh, no controllers found. but LED doesn't blink when plugged in or anything. Seems to be fine but not detected. Changed the ID on the ID's to 01 per the troubleshooting Guide I got, still not detected. Reset the board by setting both switches to 00 plug, wait few seconds unplug (mental note, the BLINK patter was MUCH faster during the reset, will reference this on next controller). Still not detected by hardware utility. 

Any Clues or next step?

Controller ID 08 (separate controller, separate issue)

Same configuration, same troubleshooting done, when controller is first fired off, it blinks very rapidly, (like in reset mode, not detection mode), when plugging in the data cable no change is made, still fast blinking. can not get it do anything else. 

could someone have adjusted the speed control, would this cause the issue (no I have not touched it on either controller)

Any clues here?

Sounds like controller 08 is in the mode where you need to reload it's firmware (sorry I can't remember the right name for that at this late hour).

As for 07, I have to wonder why the PC device manager is not seeing your RS-485 adapter when you have controller 07 connected, but apparently does when (although you did not state that - but it worked) with a working controller.

As a31ford asked, what RS-485 adapter are you using?

I am using the usb485b controller from LOR. Got it when I bought my ctbpc16 starter kit.. 

Have you tried a different port to plug into? Normally there are two. I've seen these go bad often but just use the other one instead and make it the last controller you plug in.

Have you tried a different port to plug into? Normally there are two. I've seen these go bad often but just use the other one instead and make it the last controller you plug in.

I have infact tried both ports on both controllers. right now I am testing as a single controller at a time. both controllers are set to 01 when trying to communicate with them. (not at the same time)

Sounds like controller 08 is in the mode where you need to reload it's firmware (sorry I can't remember the right name for that at this late hour). As for 07, I have to wonder why the PC device manager is not seeing your RS-485 adapter when you have controller 07 connected, but apparently does when (although you did not state that - but it worked) with a working controller. As a31ford asked, what RS-485 adapter are you using?

Jim, will the firmware flash even if the system is not detecting the controller? also Is there a good link to the process, along with roughly how long it should take to "flash" the firmware?

tried swapping out the IC's no change. FOUND THE PROBLEM.. on Both controllers... when I bought them.. they were used. someone had set the J0 jumper on the pins for GND-XMIT when it should have been set to the pins for INPUT - LED. Had to manually set the controller ID to 01, refresh and it detected the controller. Once I set the jumper to the right pins. PROBLEM Solved.. Yay!

btw for anyone who was following this thread to try and troubleshoot your own. if the controller is responding but not showing up, you should be able to use the autoconfigure, and get a response from the board, it will show found units 0, but this means it is responding. I had to manually set the ID before I could refresh and get it detect. Also, the firmware flash process that is in the hardware utility is actually dead on the money step by step. IF the controller is responding then it will accept the firmware update, this took less than 1 minute total.. someone really needs to create a video for flashing the firmware though. 

Jim, will the firmware flash even if the system is not detecting the controller? also Is there a good link to the process, along with roughly how long it should take to "flash" the firmware?

Yes.  Read the manual for the controller and it explains it.  It's real easy using the hardware utility.  If you don't have the manual, it can be downloaded from the LOR website.