Light-O-Rama Forums

Communication With Windows 8.1

newby

I have been unable to physically control my lights for some time now.  I sent a help request to LOR and after some back and forth, they decided that it was a communication problem with my Windows 8.1 sofware.  It had something to do with Windows doing a virtualization.  I

think it basically means that Windows pretends to make changes but actually isn't.  All my settings are correct, except the COMM port and when I change it, Windows says it's changed but it really hasn't so it won't control the lights.  I'm going to the Expo at Biloxi, so I thought I would bring my computer and see if someone might help me with it.  LOR offered to do a remote session, but my connection is to slow and they didn't think they could solve the problem anyway.  I tried getting hold of Window's Help, but that was a nightmare.  I've been sequences some songs and using the Visualizer to see what things look like, but now the Vizualizer has stopped working.  All settings are correct, but the Sequence Editor can no longer control the Vizualizer.  It has been working fine for months.  LOR is now basically worthless to me.  I have version 3.11.2 with the advanced liscence.  I sequenced and ran a show of 10 songs last Christmas and things went very well.  I basically can do nothing except sequence songs.  Any one else having this or similar problems? Any suggestions?

I'm running windows 8.2 and its running fine so far. Have you tried re-installing LOR? Sounds like something might be missing.

It may not be a problem with Windows 8 at all, but within 11.2 and the Comm Port Listener. I cannot run any shows either on Windows 7 with 1.31 connections either. Curious to know when you start the control panel and the comm Listener starts if you can still access the internet? I find that is the first thing that dies. I have two PC's that run 11.2 and both on Windows 7. When the Comm Listener is on I find that many normal functions end on both machines and until I "unload control panel" I cannot regain full function of PC. I can even see momentary flashes that the C.L. is sending something out looking for Comm ports and this is causing some type of problem. I can sequence fine with control panel off, but that's all I can do. When you have a USB adapter hooked up, control the lights on, control panel on and try to play a sequence what happens? Can you start to play the sequence and have the ability to stop the sequence with the start or stop button? I cannot stop the sequence unless I uncheck the control the lights box. And even then what gets broadcast to me 1.31 controllers is not what was sequenced. Can you confirm same?

It may not be a problem with Windows 8 at all, but within 11.2 and the Comm Port Listener. I cannot run any shows either on Windows 7 with 1.31 connections either. Curious to know when you start the control panel and the comm Listener starts if you can still access the internet? I find that is the first thing that dies. I have two PC's that run 11.2 and both on Windows 7. When the Comm Listener is on I find that many normal functions end on both machines and until I "unload control panel" I cannot regain full function of PC. I can even see momentary flashes that the C.L. is sending something out looking for Comm ports and this is causing some type of problem. I can sequence fine with control panel off, but that's all I can do. When you have a USB adapter hooked up, control the lights on, control panel on and try to play a sequence what happens? Can you start to play the sequence and have the ability to stop the sequence with the start or stop button? I cannot stop the sequence unless I uncheck the control the lights box. And even then what gets broadcast to me 1.31 controllers is not what was sequenced. Can you confirm same?

The listener has nothing to do with this persons problem.  It sounds like the OP is running a straight up LOR network. 

I have been unable to physically control my lights for some time now.  I sent a help request to LOR and after some back and forth, they decided that it was a communication problem with my Windows 8.1 sofware.  It had something to do with Windows doing a virtualization.  I

think it basically means that Windows pretends to make changes but actually isn't.  All my settings are correct, except the COMM port and when I change it, Windows says it's changed but it really hasn't so it won't control the lights.  I'm going to the Expo at Biloxi, so I thought I would bring my computer and see if someone might help me with it.  LOR offered to do a remote session, but my connection is to slow and they didn't think they could solve the problem anyway.  I tried getting hold of Window's Help, but that was a nightmare.  I've been sequences some songs and using the Visualizer to see what things look like, but now the Vizualizer has stopped working.  All settings are correct, but the Sequence Editor can no longer control the Vizualizer.  It has been working fine for months.  LOR is now basically worthless to me.  I have version 3.11.2 with the advanced liscence.  I sequenced and ran a show of 10 songs last Christmas and things went very well.  I basically can do nothing except sequence songs.  Any one else having this or similar problems? Any suggestions?

What was your ticket number so I can review your issue?

My ticket # is 277728.  I've thought about unloading LOR and reloading, but was hoping to avoid that.  Everything else on the computer is working fine.  I'll check into version 8.2 after admin checks out things further.  Thanks for the responses.

My ticket # is 277728.  I've thought about unloading LOR and reloading, but was hoping to avoid that.  Everything else on the computer is working fine.  I'll check into version 8.2 after admin checks out things further.  Thanks for the responses.

I looked up your ticket, and I am the one who worked on it back in March when you opened it.  Windows Registry Virtualization is a horrible thing, and it's not something we can control.  The only other suggestion I would have is to check into how to turn OFF something called UAC.  Try turning that OFF, uninstall S3, run the registry wipe, then re-install.  You may have some success that way.

Otherwise, I'll be at the Expo, so please try to find me early.  It may take me all day to figure it out.

OK, I'll try your suggestion and let you know the results.  I'm going to be gone for a few days so I probably won't attempt anything until next week sometime.  Thanks a bunch

• 2 weeks later...

I turned off the UAC and that did restore the funcionality of the Visualizer. The Sequencer will now control the visualizer, but it still won't control the lights.  I can't get it to change the COMM Port.  I guess I'll be looking for you at the Expo.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...