Light-O-Rama Forums

J1SYS or SanDevices ?

Dave H1

The pixels arrived today, (thanks Todd DIY LED EXPRESS) but still on the fence over which controller to get.

Starting off with W2811 around three (3) windows and the garage door (approx. 300 pixels) along with W2811 outlining the planting beds on either side of the entry sidewalk (approx. 100 pixels). 

They are all in relative proximity of each other being close to the house.

This lends to either the E6804 or ECG-P2.

I’m also looking to convert the mega tree into a mega pixel tree next year.  That would have its own controller and I’d like to keep controllers consistent, from the same vendor.

So what is everyone running their pixels with???

This is sort of going to be like asking which is better - Ford or Chevy?

Personally I have SanDevices E6804 and E682 controllers.

This is sort of going to be like asking which is better - Ford or Chevy?  Nissan  :rolleyes: 

Personally I have SanDevices E6804 and E682 controllers.

Seriously though, Both controllers have their strong points and very few bad points. In actuality, I can only think of 1 per controller. Sandevices is what I have used, but I'm putting in a P12S this year.

Why you ask?

The P12 has 12 outputs and can have up to 1 full universe per output. Since this will be a centralized controller running several different elemenets with several different length strings, it made the most sense. You can do the same thing on an E682, but you have to get creative in the channel config.

The E682 has 16 outputs and shares 12 universes among them (in Unicast mode, 7 universes in multicast mode) Which makes this perfect for a Pixel mega tree of 16 x 50 or 32 x 25 just as an example.

The 2 downsides, 

E682 12 universes over 16 outputs but is setup in 4 clusters of four outputs (If using different length of pixel strings on each output, creativity in the channel config.)

P12, only 12 outputs vs 16

Both controllers are rock solid amazing performers. Both have been used by numerous folks with great success.

IMHO,

for the  

house and sidewalk, J1Sys.

mega pixel tree, Sandevices.

This will be my first year using pixels. I elected to go with the P12s/X card for the same reasons mentioned above after doing lots of reading. So far, I find the P12S/X card's onboard interface very easy to interact with and no, I have no clue about the E6804's interface. I have my pixels already and tested the P12S/X card with them. It appeared to work beautifully using E1.31 mode. Now one downside to the P12S/X card is the lack of complete documentation. Their older documents for the P12R card does work for this P12S card but there's more things on the card with no clue how to use, such as the 2 DMX ports with Cat5 sockets. Its nice though in that you could run two different power supplies such as one side (6 Universes) with 5VDC and the other side with 12VDC. Its just a matter of configuring the power for the card electronics  itself which is easy. I also just got it to work with wireless so I'll be fully testing that as well later today when I complete the last of the pixel fabrication to my mounting rails. I'm doing 12 strings of WS2811 pixels to aluminum rails that will create a 12-string pixel tree.

Sans device e682.

Can use mixed power on the card. More outputs which allows my central located card to control more elements, ie I can connect 16 devices. Ability to use as dmx dongle so I can grow into it. Quick delivery of built card and communication from sans was quick.

Also, great documentation. You can get the manual and determine if it meets your needs before purchasing.

Both boards are very good. 

Difference would be quality of customer service.  How responsive are they, can you get quick responses ?,  how is the documentation (updated when new items added)?  How hard or easy is it to order them and ask questions?

Try these items with both sources and make your decision.

Service after the sale is VERY important.

Both controllers are rock solid amazing performers. Both have been used by numerous folks with great success.

IMHO,

for the  

house and sidewalk, J1Sys.

mega pixel tree, Sandevices.

Yes, I was leaning toward the ECG-P2 for this first phase, even though I would need to provide my own external fuse protection for the lights.

I see individual fuses on each universe output on the P12S/X card. I have no idea if the P12R had them or not.

• 2 months later...

I'm using an E682 this year. Looking at the J1sys documentation gives me the feeling that the P12R is more versatile, but a little more complicated to set up. In particular:

• You specify the data rate of the strings to the P12R (I assume it gives you a default), where the E682 determines it automatically from the string type and pixel count, and tells you what it is.
  • Each 12 string outputs is configured individually on the P12R, where the 16 string outputs in the E682 are configured in groups of 4. This means that each 4 outputs in a group is expecting the some pixel count, as Ron noted.
  • The "zig-zag" in a string is a simple count in the E682, by telling it to reverse every N pixels. This zig-zag applies equally to each of the 4 outputs in a group. On the P12R, you have to configure up to 4 "effect configurations" per string, so you can only "zig-zag" 3 times per output. This is not typically a limitation.
  • The E682 can "compress" a universe, meaning that when there isn't enough of a universe left for a string, the start of the next universe is tagged on the end. For example, this year I will have a 24x50 pixel tree with a 6-pixel star (made of dumb RGB nodes and a 27-channel controller.) I use 8 outputs with each output making 8 branches. The entire tree, including the star, fits into 8 universes. Each P12R output can have only 1 universe, so my pixel tree would have 9 universes. (I don't think this would really make any practical difference, it's just as an example.)
  • The E682 has a separate fuse for the electronics. Obviously, this is not an issue unless something goes wrong.
  • The E682 is a single circuit board. This would only be an issue if physical thickness was an issue.

In summary, I agree with Ron's recommendation to use the P12R for controlling outputs with strings of different length, and the E682 for uniform strings, like a pixel tree.

I use a mix of both Sandevices and J1sys controllers.  One small feature difference I discovered is that the Sandevices will only configure a single RGB color order setting per output, where the J1Sys can do multiple via their Effects settings.  I have some elements that contain 2811 pixel strips and modules connected together that have different RGB color orders, that I have to control with J1Sys.

I am using  3 Pixlite 16's and a Pixlite 4 and running my LOR boxes off of them. 10240 channels-20 universes per board (more in some cases). 2812's too. 

Edited by colonel

About a year and a half ago I purchased a E6804 from sandevices and a ECG-P2 from J1sys. Both came without documentation. I was able to go to the sandevices web-site and download a manual for the E6804; I found it comprehensive and easy to read.  Joshua systems sent me to auschristmaslighting.com for documentation, that didn't go so well.  After contacting both companies for support I ending up going with sandevices because of the great support.  I have now been running 3x E6804 controllers 24/7 for over a year for my office outside lighting without fail (building is trimmed in smart ribbons, see pictures on lightshow.franktronics.net).

I second jerrymac's comments.

This is just my experiences.

Frank

P.S. Just ordered 5 more E6804 for other projects this year.

I also run a mix of j1sys and Sandevices in the show. Less than 15 minutes on the phone and I understood setup. Reading would take me hours and still not understand this stuff.

Franks and Jerry are correct about service. I don't care about what has ports here or there but the support go #1 in my book. I bought 6 new cards this year and won a card at the mini. The card of my choice this year was sandevice to run 192 pixels at each tree I built out of GECE. The j1sys does not support these lights.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I have a local fellow sequencer/display friend who likes to run only Sandevices, where as I like my J1sys controllers only.  It's just a matter of what you feel more comfortable with.