Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching Velcro to CCR -- Help!

eurbani

Does anything stick to CCRs?

I'd like to attach velcro to my CCRs.  Then I can apply the CCR to various elements for different seasons.

However, I have had no luck getting anything to stick to them.  HELP!

This is what I have tried so far:

I have used the velcro that has a sticky back.  (no luck)

I have tried silicone adhesive.  (no luck)

I have tried hot glue.  (no luck)

I have tried gorilla glue.  (no luck)

Nothing that I have tried stays stuck!

I saw a post here about glazing tape.  I will try that next.   If anyone has had luck with something else.  I'd like to hear about it.

Maybe contact cement?

Good technique reusing your lights on different props to minimize your material costs across two or more holiday displays.  

You could always try a non-adhesive mounting method. Grab a heavy pair of gloves, thimble and a thick leather needle from a cloth craft store and wrap the velcro around the wire in such a way that a small "Flag" is created, then physically sew a quick knot. Easily repairable, quickly removable and highly reliable.   Mounting on your props could be tricky depending on the surface/shape and material.   If the sewing solution doesnt work on the prop side of the velcro, you could always try to use a screw or bolt/washer combination,

Then again, you could always try a military grade adhesive velcro strip.   We stick that stuff on vehicles and then attach heavy vinyl canvas to provide additional shelter while working on equipment mounted inside.  The velcro stays attached to the vehicle in all types of weather and lasts years.  That stuff has an operating range of  -40F to 800F.  The sun certainly isnt going to make the adhesive break down.     I did a quick search and found a number of internet listings for commercial availability.   I THINK this may be the same stuff we use.  I have no idea how much it costs, but it's likely very salty.   http://www.industrialwebbing.com/Mil_Spec.html

Dont succumb to the temptation to use a metallic staple solution due to rust.  It will work over the short term for a light load, but after a year or so, you'll risk a tetnas shot. Just plain avoid that.

Good luck

Edited by Bizywk

I use glazing tape on my CCRs that are attached to my roofline. I leave them up year round.

If I grab the CCR,I can peel it off the roof. So it really isn't permanently attached.

Here in Oregon those CCRs are constantly subjected to rain. We get a little sun. The CCRs have also been exposed to hail and 35 mph winds without an issue.

But, if you want something that appears to be permanently attached to your CCRs the glazing tape will not do that.

Sax

Then again, you could always try a military grade adhesive velcro strip.   We stick that stuff on vehicles and then attach heavy vinyl canvas to provide additional shelter while working on equipment mounted inside.  The velcro stays attached to the vehicle in all types of weather and lasts years.  That stuff has an operating range of  -40F to 800F.  The sun certainly isnt going to make the adhesive break down.     I did a quick search and found a number of internet listings for commercial availability.   I THINK this may be the same stuff we use.  I have no idea how much it costs, but it's likely very salty.   http://www.industrialwebbing.com/Mil_Spec.html

I seem to remember having some of the hook sides attached to an APC when I was in the Army.  Yep, that stuff, was stuck, but good!  If the glazing tape, doesn't work, that may be my next attempt.

I use glazing tape on my CCRs that are attached to my roofline. I leave them up year round.

If I grab the CCR,I can peel it off the roof. So it really isn't permanently attached.

Here in Oregon those CCRs are constantly subjected to rain. We get a little sun. The CCRs have also been exposed to hail and 35 mph winds without an issue.

But, if you want something that appears to be permanently attached to your CCRs the glazing tape will not do that.

Sax

My issues is that anything that I have tried to date hasn't really stuck for even an entire display period.  I don't mind if I can peel it off, but I don't want it falling off.  It sounds like the glazing tape may give me that ability.  Did you do anything special to prepare the surface before applying the tape?  (the surface of the CCR or the surface of your roofline).  I assume that you attached it to wood.  Right?

I actually attached it to the metal flashing that is on my roofline between the wood and shingle. The glazing tape is stuck good on that. I attached the tape to the CCR first and then the CCR and tape to the flashing.

I tested it on wood first before climbing up and it also stuck well to that. I didn't know I had metal flashing until I climbed up there. I shook it, simulated high winds, hit it with water and heat (used a heat gun). I used one pixel of dumb strip in my testing which looks and feels like the same material as CCR. I tested it over several days because I was worried it would fail. It didn't during tests and 8 months up without an issue.

Anyway, I did nothing to the CCRs. They were new out of the box to the glazing tape and then hung. So as clean as possible out of the factory.

Sax

I tried the glazing tape.  It stuck like crazy to the velcro, but barely to the CCR.  

I also tried contact cement.  That didn't work very well at all.

I'm wondering about roughing up the strips a bit before applying the glazing tape.  Maybe some fine grit sand paper?  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Could you possibly just use clear tape to wrap various sections of the CCR to the velcro? This way if you ever decide you don't need to velcro, it can be easily taken off too. Don't know if it would work, just throwing it out there.

Thank jonny, those are rigid.  I want to use the velcro because it is flexible and I can then use the strips on different elements.

This is what I am looking at right now.  3M makes an adhesive line called Scotch Weld.  They have a primer (AC78) that should prepare the silicone to adhere using one of their adhesives.  This video shows how well the primer works.

I will report back once I have tried it myself.

Here is another choice.  these are 5/8 clear plastic square rigid tubes.  Avail in 6 foot lengths  at .66 cents per foot  (yes not a typo  .66 per foot in 6 foot lengths).  These should be more receptive to Velcro stickup.  These would help in strips you want to be able to do animation with since they are not frosted.  .  Available from U S Plastics  at www.usplastic.com  Here are 2 pics  

can't seem to post the youtube address.  SO

youtube   search jerrymacvaldosta scroll down to the slide show.

Edited by jerrymac

Take a look at these for mounting Pixel Strips

http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766-ps.htm

I have these on order. I am going to build frames for my windows and attach these strips from Holidaycoro to the frames then insert my RGB's. I think it will work fine for my application. Hope so anyway.

David's are the way to go for a nice defused look, and they are complete and simple. 

If you need transparency these square plastic tubes provide some cover (could be made weatherproof) and keep the ribbons from bending or flexing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zveIhiGMc.   

Here are two pictures of one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that I have this figured out.

Scotch weld primer ac78 and adhesive sf100

Where did you buy the primer and what did it cost you?  I looked on Ebay and Amazon.

• Like 1

Where did you buy the primer and what did it cost you?  I looked on Ebay and Amazon.

I haven't bough it yet.  That was a sample.   You may check with 3M to see if they will send you one.

From what I've seen it's expensive stuff. Thanks!

Yeah, it is expensive, but I've found nothing else that worked.  

Also, no one seems to sell smaller quantities.  Seems like most companies sell it in quantities of 10 bottles.  For  me, I found one bottle was enough to do three ribbons.  If I find someone that sells smaller quantities, I will post it here.

I haven't found a glue or epoxy that works either.  I like Davids (holiday coro) idea with his mounting strips but they are to short for CCR's.  I wised LOR would make a similar product for housing them.  I bet they would sell like....well CCR's!!

If you do find the primer in a smaller amount, please do post. 

Thanks!