Light-O-Rama Forums

Beta of the S3 Nutcracker version coming soon?

Robocrash

An excerpt from the Planet Christmas magazine, April 2014 #58 that came out this morning:

"We got a very early version of the LOR sequencing package taking advantage of their xLights/Nutcracker addition.  For our testing, we simply defined the E1.31 configuration in xLights/Nutcracker, created a model of 12 strings of 120 pixels and started randomly playing with the features in the Preview tab.  See the pictures on the next page.  Get ready to be impressed"

Clearly, there is a working version of xLights/Nutcracker addition to S3 in alpha form.  Would anyone like to take a guess as to when we'll see a beta released?  I guess I'll have to lock down my display hardware soon to be ready for the release.

An excerpt from the Planet Christmas magazine, April 2014 #58 that came out this morning:

"We got a very early version of the LOR sequencing package taking advantage of their xLights/Nutcracker addition.

Sounds promising, until ...

we simply defined the E1.31 configuration in xLights/Nutcracker,

Was it worded poorly, or were they actually testing in xLights/Nutcracker? Given the history of LOR and software releases, I wouldn't be getting hopes up for a beta any time soon. I hope I'm wrong, but if I had to guess we'll see a beta release 10/24/14 @ 5p, EDT.

It's all guesses for now, but I got the impression that they were building a simple interface to go from Nutcracker to LOR with RGBs the way they go from SuperStar to LOR with CCRs.

It's all guesses for now, but I got the impression that they were building a simple interface to go from Nutcracker to LOR with RGBs the way they go from SuperStar to LOR with CCRs.

Based on the post Dan made, I think there is a lot of work that needs to take place before we get to the 'simple' interface. 

• Like 1

I'm interested in how Nutcracker will be implemented.  Right now, you have to export from Superstar to get into LOR sequencer.  But that is a one way process.  You can't import into Superstar - as far as I know.

So, will we be able to combine Nutcracker effects and Superstar effects?  Will we be able to export/import one into the other?  Or will both have to be exported and then "combined" on the LOR sequencer module.

Locking down my hardware for now.  Looking forward to the update - whenever it comes out.

• 5 weeks later...

I was told, then I found that attempting to paste and use the NC effects saved to clip boards will cause the sequencer to crash with an out of memory warning.  some of the clipboards were up to 5 m in size. For me NC is easy to set up the models and draw custom items. But there is no grid or running time so I cant get the sequencing in my head. You have to define the time you want the NC effect to play, like a spread sheet. I hope something happens soon I have about 4k channels of pixels I want to add to my collection of songs.   

Given Dan's announcement of purchasing a commercial license for nutcracker effects, I hope that the LOR Software Engineers think ahead and implement the nutcracker effects with a plug-in model.    Think of its me Bob-o's tools plugged into the sequencer and accessible directly rather than via cur & paste.   Flipping the selected channels/pixels, his new SpEx tool etc.   

If the plugins are run in a separate process it will keep them from crashing the sequencer, and perhaps even use the clipboard format for communication. 

LOR Developers. please steal these ideas :)

• 5 months later...

I hope I'm wrong, but if I had to guess we'll see a beta release 10/24/14 @ 5p, EDT.

Well, I was wrong. Of course I would have liked to have seen a beta by now as well. Darn.

I was told, then I found that attempting to paste and use the NC effects saved to clip boards will cause the sequencer to crash with an out of memory warning.  some of the clipboards were up to 5 m in size. For me NC is easy to set up the models and draw custom items. But there is no grid or running time so I cant get the sequencing in my head. You have to define the time you want the NC effect to play, like a spread sheet. I hope something happens soon I have about 4k channels of pixels I want to add to my collection of songs.   

What you need to do is open your audio file in Audacity. Use the label tool to create timing marks.....basically where you want the effects to change. Then save the label. Import the label file into NC and now you have timing marks. You can name them too.

There is a how to video link on the Nutcracker webpage,

Also you don't want to cut and paste a whole lot at once especially with the file size NC effects create. Cut and paste a little bit at a time.....say a universe at a time. This will keep SE from crashing. A bit of a pain but crash free.

If you are running the 4g patch I know I can copy/paste a full 16x84 pixel tree at one time and no issue. If you update your LOR software you will need to apply the patch again. It has been a life saver for me. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Messer

If you are running the 4g patch I know I can copy/paste a full 16x84 pixel tree at one time and no issue. If you update your LOR software you will need to apply the patch again. It has been a life saver for me.

Jeff

I have the 4g patch and still crashed on me when I try to copy/paste too much. Depending on the effects, the file sizes can vary. I rather cut/paste and couple of times than take a chance of it crashing. I have to reboot the PC when it does that.

Cut/paste only 1 universe is playing it really safe. You could get away with 2 or 3 with the patch.

Edited by CLD Kevin

I have the 4g patch and still crashed on me when I try to copy/paste too much. Depending on the effects, the file sizes can vary. I rather cut/paste and couple of times than take a chance of it crashing. I have to reboot the PC when it does that.

Cut/paste only 1 universe is playing it really safe. You could get away with 2 or 3 with the patch.

I was having the same issue and then I started looking closer at the processes when doing copy and pastes and it turns out my antivirus was stepping in and just causing the computer to crunch and eventually crash.....removed AV and it has not crashed since.  I also am using the 4GB patch.  

I was having the same issue and then I started looking closer at the processes when doing copy and pastes and it turns out my antivirus was stepping in and just causing the computer to crunch and eventually crash.....removed AV and it has not crashed since.  I also am using the 4GB patch.  

When I'm cutting and pasting big thingsI turn off undo, to prevent the crashing.  works well going from Nutcracker or other sequences into a new sequence.

I've watched memory usage and it goes way up as the undo function tries to keep all that undo data.  eventually I think i runs out of memory and the sequencer doesn't handle it and... boom.