Light-O-Rama Forums

Audacity timing import to LOR

Djmc2002

Is there a way to import timing marks from audacity into LOR S3?

I have been working on marking some phrasing and timing mark ups in audacity so I can use it in NC and would like to bring that same timing into LOR. Is there a way to do that? I'm stumped as the best way to proceed-ideas!

There isn't an automated way to import the timings from Audacity. (At least not that I'm aware of.)

You could, however, create a new free from grid. Then right-click 'insert timing at' to manually input the timings.

Oh that could work, just output the data in text file. Would be time consuming but would work. Tks

Once your NC sequence is complete, If you import to a .lms file, the timings should be there. If so, just select the row, select copy timings, and then paste them to your main sequence file. I think that's the way it works. I haven't done a complete song  but I'm sure the timings picked in NC come over with the export.

• 3 months later...

I tried taking the timings from Audacity, load them into NC, then export the LMS, but the timings didn't come along :(

I could enter all the times in by hand, if I wasn't lazy, which I am.

Alrighty then, so I cracked open a .LMS file into an XML editor (very nice one called notepad.exe) and found that adding a timing grid is trivially easy. I took an Audacity timing grid, pulled it into Excel and converted the timings from seconds to centiseconds, then put the tags around the timings and dropped it into the LMS file. BAM, easy. Should be pretty easy to script.

How to insert Audacity timing grids into your Light-O-Rama sequences. This could use a simple script, but is easy even when done manually.

• 4 weeks later...

When I try to create a new timing grid within notepad using LOR 3.11.2 and I try to open my modified xml file (saved as lms) I get an Error Loading Sequence box with the "Unexpected save file information found"  I used excel 2007, Notepad.exe with Windows 7 on a 64bit machine.

If I just past the new <timing centisecond....../> text in an existing grid than all is ok

But if I try to create a new timing grid by adding text above and below the centisecond statements in notepad

<timingGrid saveID="1" name="" Type="freeform">

<timing centisecond ="32"/>

</ timingGrid>

then I get the error

Any clue as to what might be happening?

Thanks

Edited by kevin

Found my error.   Type should not be capitalized.  should be ....... type="freeform">

Always check math, spelling AND capitalization.

• 3 weeks later...

John - I had to keep coming back to your video many times until I finally got my head on straight to understand your technic. HEY - I GOT IT TO WORK! Thank you so much for taking the time to teach us. I have been trying to work on a song & beat wizard just wouldn't load on it. This audacity trick did. Thanks again for sharing.

How to insert Audacity timing grids into your Light-O-Rama sequences. This could use a simple script, but is easy even when done manually.

Jstorms

Thanks for the how to video..very helpful.  To answer your question in the video on filling in the timing marks.  The faster way to fill each one with out tabbing and entering is to COPY the first mark, right click, then click on" PASTE MULTIPLES"

Select " All the way to the end of the sequence" in the horizontal section Then  "OK"

• 3 months later...

Well I tried this method because I currently only have the demo version and cannot purchase the license quite yet.  I was hoping to get some sequences done while i'm financially recovering from the holidays but i cannot use tapper or beat wizard and expect to save.  I thought  with this method I could at least get started.

Unfortunately when i open the LMS file in notepad I get this.  Any ideas?

Capture_zps6cc61e03.png

• 4 months later...

I was going along fine with you step by step by pausing the u tube...

I got 100% completlt lost when you went to your D drive to save... I have no D drive so am at a loss as to where I need to save the onset at. also I have no idea what you were opening or what you did in the command prompt to open the file you opened... 

it is very hard to understand the video sound.. I do appreciate you trying to teach us this but at times you go so fast that even though I stop the video it doesnt make clear what it is you are doing or just did... do you happen to have a different video somewhere about it.. and a hint as to what I need to do as to where to save the file on my c drive, and what to type in the command promp to open the file for audacity.

I do not mean to be a pain in the but I am sooo lost right now...  I found the file i saved named on set but when iI try to open it it says file is empty..

i better stop until you tell me what I need to do before I mess up my computer.... 

I hope to hear something from you soon about it.

Thank you

chuck     retired_old_sarge@yahoo.com

Edited by Old Sarge

Location of the files is not important, you just need to be able to find them. I used the d drive because my c drve is a SSD and does not have a ton of space. Eventually when I have access to a real computer again I can go back and annotate this video better.

ok thank you ... I really had no idea what I was doing...

I am running windows 7 and I had to go back and select a LOR lms file and go back into setting to change it so it would open in LOR... all my LMS files somehow were set to open on not pad...lol...

I was about to go crazy trying to figure that out... I miss my XP.... it was so much easier to work with.

I still have no idea what tp put in the command prompt to get the file to open that you opened.

I am not a super computer whiz... but I do try to learn as I can.