Light-O-Rama Forums

Please help me choose my style mini tree!

thebaronn

(Original post, in wrong forum)Hello! Before I go crazy with the mini trees I need to decide on what I like best.

Here is a picture of the 5 trees I have made so far. Some are regular mini lights and some are LEDs. I am running a poll (hope I do it correctly) to see what everyone's personal preference is. I will have 12 trees total with 3 on the top row, 4 in the middle row and 5 on the bottom.

This was the best night picture I could get.

Tell me what you think!

New part: Well, that was a few hours ago and I had an epiphany and created tree #6! So I took a basic triangle with a 9” base and a height of 2’ then I cut two of these triangles out of ¼” ply wood. I then drilled holes on each triangle (actual only drilled 40 on each side, was doing it on the fly and had 10 lights left over, oh well, rough draft) I attached them using hinges so I could fold them over or change the angle between the sides).

It seemed like a good idea, but I think it looks a little lame? I mean I think it looks cool, but not Christmas cool? Like it is too mathematical and not magical? Not to mention is was a PITA!

Please let me know what you think!!!

Any criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Attached files 142597=8467-Showdown2.jpg

I'd Vote for "anything but 6"
:D

Seriously though, its hard to go wrong with these little fellas.
I mixed LED and minis for a full warm yet colorful look (IMHO)
Then I wrapped some ropelight spirals for extra measure

trees1.jpg

And quite ironically,

I am building some similar to your #6 out of disposable cardboard for our parade float this year.

Parade is Dec 1 , so I'll be working on the float this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

These are 5' tall Floral easels. ("Donated" by the local funeral home)
I have decorated about 3 1/2 - 4 feet of them, and stuck about 6 inches into the ground for stability, leaving some room underneath.

Most people put LOTS of minis lights on small treese, but I opted for less lights, but the key is even spacing.
I start at the top with the first string work my way down, trying to keep even spacing, using tie-wraps about once every twist.
The second string I loop the opposite way but the same method.
The third string I just try to fill in the gaps.
In the daytime and up close, they look a little "sparse" but from the road at night it makes IMHO a very nice "tree" effect.

The ropelight was just spiraled on afterwards.
Each has its own channel, allowing for different effects
4x3_trees_1.jpg

for a higher res image of this pic go to http://www.christmasalabama.com/images/2007/trees_1.jpg