Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Cords

Watts UP

Can I extend the wires from the lights not using power cords (example) adding wire to the lights.

I only have a 16C controler at this time.

Just getting started!

Thanks

Not exactly sure what you're asking. If you mean can you use something other than a store bought extension cord, the answer is yes. Search the forum for spt-1 and vampire plugs. That's what most people use. If what you're asking is to cut the light strings between the first bulb and the male plug and solder in a section of lamp cord to make it long enough to reach the controller, again you could but that would be a lot too much effort in my opinion.

If something else, please clarify what you are asking.

I'm with Jim, are you wanting to extend the end of the strand where there may not be a female end to another strand? 

Or from the beginning of the strand directly into your controllers channels by removing the male/female pass through plugs and connect it straight into the controller to the channels triacs lugs and not have the power cord dangles on the controller that you plug your lights into?

Not really understanding what you're actually trying to do here.

If you are using LED lights then take your old incandescent light strings and pull out a bulb or two so that the lights don't work and use them as an extension cord. 

If you are using LED lights then take your old incandescent light strings and pull out a bulb or two so that the lights don't work and use them as an extension cord. 

When I do that I use an old BURNED OUT bulb and put in the strand to make it non-working {good reason to keep a bottle of old burned out bulbs around, huh? LOL}. 

I also mark the bulb by coloring it with a black sharpie so I know which is the bad bulb I installed, just in case I may want to use that incandescent strand again another time.

Another issue you may need to think about is how many and what type of lights are you planning to attach to the end.  If LED's than you probably have no reason to read the rest of my post.  If you plan to attach incandescents than you need to be cognizant of how many lights and how large in the terms of wattage.  The wire size of the light string your tying in to is the issue here.  It will only handle so much amperage depending on the wire size of the light string.  And that does vary such that I can't tell you directly how many additional lights you can attach without creating a potential for overheating the wire.  Hopefully your light string your tying into has a fuse in it such that if you do exceed the capacity it will blow preventing overheating / fire.  

I got STO 16/3 wire from Americord for $0.16 foot to make my cords, so they will last.  They have the best prices's that I can find.  They have spt-2 for the same price if you perfer it.