Light-O-Rama Forums

Control box shorting/arcs out

G Sawyer

Hi,

I have a problem with my CTB-16B controller. It keeps short circuiting the fuse box on the house. I took the front cover off and the next cover to have a look at the board, and it appears that on the right hand side where there are 8 black fuses, that one has blown apart. Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks

Glenn

Hi,

I have a problem with my CTB-16B controller. It keeps short circuiting the fuse box on the house. I took the front cover off and the next cover to have a look at the board, and it appears that on the right hand side where there are 8 black fuses, that one has blown apart. Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks

Glenn

Not sure what a CTB-16"B" is but if it is actually a CTB-16PC,  those would not be fuses...

I don't mean this in a bad way... but.. if you are asking that question.. you most likely can't fix it.  Either send it in to be repaired or get a replacement... the latter is most likely the best path forward.  

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm not an electrician, but there are 8 of these on each side of the board, with a  little screw that holds them in and that can be undone. On the bottom of these there are three little prongs. It appears that there is one for each channel, and that they can just be pulled out and replaced, but I am unsure, and do not want to damage the box any further.

yes.. Like I said.. this is not a job you should try to tackle.. those questions and descriptions tell me you need to have someone else do it. 

Just being honest..  

Also, if you have what you described, something blew that channel up.. meaning you most likely have a short out there some where.  Test all of the props you have plugged into the controller by connecting them to an extension cord one at a time.  Make sure the cord is plugged into a GFCI protected outlet.  Do this before you get the controller back from repair or replaced.

How old is the board, is it set up for your voltage? What did you have plugged into those channels? What type, and how many? If you have blown the triacs, you've got major problems that must be corrected before plugging the board back in.

Hi

The board is one of my first boards that I purchased 5-6 years ago.Yes it is set up for Australian voltage.I had this controller on my front fence which was controlling two 7 segment arches, each segment had a count of 300 leds. The one that blew out is No 12 so I will test out all cords today on a protected surge board before I put my spare controller back on.

Glenn

After getting the board offline, remove it from the case and check on the backside of the board for critters, they can cause shorts and make the stray electrons fight with each other. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...