Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB/CCP preventing Garage Door Opener transmitters from working

LightORamaJohn

No problems have been reported by multiple users, but I would recommend using it only if your remote garage door opener does not work.

The attached firmware does two things. 1) It changes the data clock frequency. 2) It only updates the bulb strings when something changes.

During the day when the display is inactive, there should be no interference. During a show, it depends upon how active the bulbs are. It only takes a fraction of a second of inactivity for the GDO to get through unimpeded. Even when the bulbs are continuously active, the change in data clock frequency allowed me to open the door, but the range was restricted.

If you find any anomalies in the way the bulbs work it's probably because I missed a spot where I need to update the bulb strings. In this case, please explain exactly what effect/activity you had on the bulbs when they messed up.

Old firmware version here: http://www1.lightora...B100D-V1_16.lhx

CB100D-V1_18.ZIP

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem. 3 of my 5 controllers (CTB16, CCR, CCB(2), CMB) are located about 10 feet from my Garage Door opener. When the CCB or CCR controllers have power none of the remotes nor the wireless keypad will open the doors. In my experience the issue is range. If I place a remote against the Garage Doors (Double insulated aluminum) The doors will sometimes open. Even the wireless keypad dosen't work. The remotes work fine inside the garage but what good does that do me :lol: . To solve the problem this year I installed a mechanical timer on the controllers power. All power is off up until 30 minutes prior and 30 minutes after the show. This allows normal garage door operations. Nobody should disturb the show anyway right  :D

LOR needs to sell extension cables for all their cosmic color devices. This would give us the flexibility we need for our displays. Sure you can cut the cables and insert your own extensions (I have read plenty of posts that have done it) but I'm not brave enough for nor do I want to void any warranties.

I haven't updated the firmware so I will give that a try at the end of the season or next year (If it ain't broke don't fix it).  

• 2 months later...

I had this same problem this year. This is the first year I have used Cosmic Color Bulbs (CCB's) in my display even though I purchased them two years ago. I didn't have time to re-sequence all of my music so we didn't get them out until this year :-( . I updated the firmware on all of them at the beginning of the season, so I know I was running the latest firmware available at the time.

I have two garage doors, both of them use Chamberlan Lift Master Professional Formula I garage door openers. If my CCB controllers have power to them, even with no active shows running, the range of my garage door openers are reduced so far, that I have to be right next to the door or in the garage for them to work. One of my CCB controllers was in the peak of the roof right above one of the two doors. As soon as I unplug my CCB controllers, my opener range goes back to a half a block down the road. This is definitely a problem with the CCB/CCR Controllers interfering with the RF Transmission from the Garage Door Opener Remotes.

Does Light-O-Rama have any recommendations for shielding these controllers to stop this interferance?

• 2 months later...

I am finding that I have a issue with my keyless remote for my cars. At first I though it was just dead batteries but it is only when CCP controller is on (no show playing) that I have to go through the trouble of using the key.

I'm interested in this too.  While I have no CCPs or CCRs, I do have E1.31 and LOR AC & DC controllers. 

I had the exact same results with my Chamberlain garage door openers.  I dont have a spectrum analyzer, so I chalked it up to perhaps a sub-harmonic frequency being transmitted from the FM Transmitter.  I put an external remote antenna on the main Garage Door Opener (GDO) to help defeat the interferance, but it didnt help at all.    I'm curious Lighthouse, when you unplugged your controllers, did you also unplug your FM Transmitter?   It doesnt seem intuitive that such strong RF interference would come from a CAT-5 Data line or Triac based controller, but I suppose it could happen.  

Does Light-O-Rama have any recommendations for shielding these controllers to stop this interferance?

I wondered about a tin foil hat. Just a little about heat bild up.

• The topic was locked