Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the one great idea you'd share with a Newbie?

Bizywk

I have a deep respect and appreciation for those out there on this forum willing to answer direct questions at any hour, any day 24X7.  I also saw a number of free format postings for camaraderie, and thought what if someone combined the two and created a thread for the experienced hobbyists out there to chime in with a single important construction or technical tip to help the Newbies avoid problems they don't know about yet?

We started it off by identifying a helpful way to mark controller output cables that can be seen in low light, but I bet there are far better ideas out there that haven't surfaced for a while.   http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29073-whatsimple-idea-for-making-controller-installation-easier/

What's your incredible idea?

• Like 1

Zip tie the cat 5 cable to a stake or the pole you mounted the controller to so that when, not if, when you trip over it you won't pull it out of the jack and damage your controller.

• Like 1

Don't get it in your head that it's a good idea to trim a bush after stringing lights in it.

Especially if they are on so you can see what you're doing! :wacko:  :o

• Like 3

Use those green light stakes to keep your extension cord connections off the ground and out of water.  

Also use those plastic child proof outlet covers on the back of exposed female ends at the end of a light strand and on the female side of the male pass through, this keeps water and debris out of those open female plugs.  Also try and keep all female ends pointing downward, this also helps keep water out and allows them to dry {if you don't use the child safety outlet covers on them}.

• Like 2

1. Create your props with the idea of quick setup, fast take-down and easy storage.

Start early. Depending on the type of show and size, you can actually start thinking about next year when you go live this year.

Learn the right way to do something before you try to do it.

Order early to avoid backups at crunch time.

Be methodical with your sequencing. Take your time the first go around and there will be less tweaking later.

Double check all solder connections on DIY toys prior to powering up. (less chance of letting out the secret smoke that's in all electronics)

• Like 2

Save money and don't buy a truckload of extensions cables. Use zipcord and vampire plugs to make custom length cords. It'll look better than piles of excess cords around the yard.

• Like 3

Don't use solderless connectors or the four pin connectors that are already on the ribbons.  It may work when you built in summer, but will fail come late fall and it'll be a pain in the butt to solder when it's cold out in the middle of your yard.  If you use the silicon coated ribbon, lay it in silicon, the back side is not moisture proof!

OK, so here's another tip that I'm embarrassed to say happened to me tonight.

Great tip #2-Know where your sprinkler lines are so that you don't put a snow fence stake through the main water line causing a mini fountain in your front lawn! You know, if I WANTED to hit the line I could have pounded stakes in all day without hitting it, yet, I got it on the first try..... Better yet, I didn't just hit the line, I took out the "T" so it is an even bigger repair job. I've only been in this house for a little over a year and discovered tonight that there is no valve to turn off the sprinklers.... Had to turn it off at the road! Why do,we do this again?

In a central place in your display, by the street, mailbox, etc., place a 3 ring binder "guestbook" with sheets in it for your guests to sign and make comments.  They will put very inspirational things on those pages that will amaze you about how meaningful your display is to them.  These sheets can be read and cherished by you and your family all year long and will provide motivation during times when you might wonder if you want to do the display....

Hands down, it's one of the best parts of our display...

Check out some of the best guestbook entried from our 2012 display...

http://www.belardolights.com/2012reaction.html

• Like 6

So true, so true! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Too late for me though..... :P  ;)  :D

It is never to late to not do it.  Just let it go and you will be free, like little butterflies fyling around, or maybe a little pixie like in Disney. :rolleyes:

It is never to late to not do it.  Just let it go and you will be free, like little butterflies fyling around, or maybe a little pixie like in Disney. :rolleyes:

What I meant by too late for me, is I've already been sucked in and it's too late to return back to Static or {yuck!} Mr. Christmas run displays.     Once you're in, you're in it for the long haul. :o  ;)  :D

• Like 1

I assembled my pixel canes today which required me to use my glue gun like a madman to get all the pieces firmly attached.  The time needed for the glue to take hold was just taking too long so I pulled out my nail gun air compressor, dialed down the pressure on the regulator to a nice low airflow and used a blow handle.   

I'd glue the part and use the cool air to set the glue about 2/3rds faster.    It worked so well, I didn't seem to need to clamp or use a fixture, and really cut down on the burnt fingers and glue strings that inevitably form. 

What a time saver.     

Check and double check PRIOR to panicking and tearing things apart if something doesn't work.   If something isn't working, let it sit, come back to it later when your head is clear and it's light out.  Last night my LED grids had nearly half the lights out.  I was not a happy decorator.  I was chasing them with a small stand alone chase controller so I could see how they looked without hooking up a LOR controller.  Today I plugged them in one by one and lo and behold all but one string worked.  Seems that it was something about the controller that was making only certain strings light up.  Double checking with a clear head saved me from tearing frames off the roof only to find out later they were OK.

• Like 1

I created a spreadsheet for my entire layout , plus my circuit schematics. I have checklists for every hookup. Each controller has been IDed for each channel. Also know your environment you live in as far as how to build your displays. I live in the Chicago , IL region and it gets very windy , rainy and at times a lot of snow! I build  most of my own displays so I need to understand how to keep them from blowing away or being damaged by the elements, especially the roof displays I have!

Also I have my controllers on the roof , behind shrubs or beside the house. I built stands for them and put plastic over the entire stand to protect it from the elements as well. I use 3R enclosures so they stay clean and dry even when not covered.

Marty

44,000 lights

184 channels