Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the one great idea you'd share with a Newbie?

Bizywk

Every year I see more and more decoration storage solutions being sold in retail stores.   Some of the solutions are really good, but I'd prefer to spend on more lights instead.    $$$

I get used empty wire spools from the box stores who sell wire by the foot.  When the spool ultimately runs out of wire, they simply throw the spools away as waste.   Every time I'm at the local home improvement store, I make a point to wander by the electrical isle and ask.  All the stores seem happy to just give them away.   I've massed quite a collection of really nice and durable spools of all sizes, some of which even have self contained live axles.  I have spools to handle bulk SP2, and have dedicated (and labeled) spools of varying sizes to handle each fixture or string on a dedicated basis.  The spools really protect the strings, minimize lightbulb/led abrasion and they store very nicely.  Simply unpack the needed spool next year, put the spools on a home-made rack during set-up and just walk them out untangled.     

Avoid the "Griswald light knot" and pick up a few free spools. You may be suprised at how much longer your lights last.

Edited by Bizywk

For S3:

Read the docs.

Read the Tips and Hints.

Watch the Video Tutorials. (link at top)

Watch " 4-step Sequencing Tutorial" recently posted by jstorms.

tj

• Like 1

PLAN out your layout and know where your controllers will physically be located to make sure you have enough channels  available to reduce extension cords.  Learn about mutiple tracks and groups.  As George stated NEVER ever change the main track just keep adding.   I learned this the hard way but tracks and groups are your friends to quickly add effects.

• Like 2

Never change the order of the channels. Never delete a row. Always add new channels ONLY to the bottom of the list. Follow those rules WITHOUT EXCEPTION and no matter how big your display gets you'll have a fast and perfect way to update sequences from year to year.Create a second track and copy as many channels as you want from the master list and make as many groups as you need - for sweeps just like the evil one described above, or to group colors, or like items, or anything. But always leave the list in the master track unchanged.

Just wanted to bump this again..best suggestion of the year in my opinion. I've gotten to a rather large channel count over the years, and my config has been a pain every year, because I was adding new channels in different tracks. Became impossible to update older songs with new channels. Listen to George, and you won't have issues in LOR, until they make some major changes in the way the program handles channels.

I just spent 5 solid days (I'm off work for a bit) making an entire new sequence with a master track and creating a new viz too. I could of never imagine finding enough time to do this, if I wasn't off work and forced to sit in front of the PC all day/night. But having this done, I should have no problems in the yrs to come continuing to expand my show.

• Like 2

Have a backup computer will all software and sequences backed up onto it...just in case.

And a back up controller card

And a back up USB adapter

And a back up transmitter

and a back replacment for everything!

i had a 6 candy cane fan and one of the candy canes stopped working, zipped tied a spare in front of it, problem solved!

• Like 1

Keep a detailed notebook.     Very shortly after we started, it became painfully obvious that we needed a 3 ring binder with all our information.  The binder has chapters not only for the design notes, channel configurations, instructions, reference tools, drawings, and eventually photos of the fixtures and outside set-up, but also it initially held our purchase receipts until they became too unweildy and we needed a separate file.   A quick printout from the LOR tools and we were immediately able to update the binder every time we had to make a change such as channel configurations.        

I can't tell you how many times we went back to that notebook during show prep, and especially during the installation, even though I had all of the design already in my head.   It also gave me a handy visual tool to adquately explain and train family members so that they could understand the tasking and I could ask for assistance from them on different installation tasks than I was working on. 

Since a big portion of our design is DIY RGB, the binder also helped me make sure I was buying compatible parts when I ran out (due primarily to an inability to stop adding stuff as we went).  One example of this is the RGB 4-wire connectors/dongles that all look the same in the on-line photos.    

• Like 1

I started keeping a notebook too.  Includes measurements where props are located, window sizes, etc.  Radius and height of mega tree, light placement, etc.  I keep a few pictures of the previous year's setup too.

Backed up all LOR files including music.

I have already created a 2014 music sequence folder on one of my computers and copied a few of 2013's sequences that I want to use into that new folder.  This of course includes the Superstar, and visualizer files.

• Like 1

Anther thing I keep in my "notebook" is I print out all Specs and data files on DYI controlers, RGB and Pixel instructions/specs etc. Found it a lot easier to open a tab in binder and quick look up that question, then to hop in the net and google.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Create simple test patterns for use in verifying your installation and troubleshooting.

I found that I mis-measured the eaves while standing on a ladder trying not to fall last year and my sequencing didnt exactly fit my custom length smart strips as a result.  I had to go back and edit all my programming to add the offending two pixels so that my "Running Effects" would look right.    Test patterns could also be helpful for the AC controllers as well when a bigger prop is involved.  

• 1 month later...

Organization is key.  

I keep a good naming convention on sequencing that clearly shows a date at the end to help immediately identify what version I'm working with.  For example:  JingleBells_140724.    (140724 = Jul 24th, 2014)    This way I can keep a few older versions on hand in case I want to experiment with a look and can go back if I don't like it without the trouble of reprogramming the older effect.  

It's also highly recommend that you back-up your sequences onto DVDs or another external hard drive in case you lose a drive.  It has to be painful to invest 30-40 hours per song only to lose it all in a hard drive crash. 

As we're beginning to develop depth in the number of sequences, I also noticed that we're starting to play around with not including each and every prop so that there is more variety between the sequenced songs.  To keep them straight at a glance, I keep a spreadsheet which shows the current version name of the sequence, which years they were used, and which props they involve.  It also helps me go back to immediately find a specific effect if I find a need to duplicate something into another sequence and don't already have a saved clipboard for it.

• 1 month later...

Print out your channel configuration list from within the S3 software on the largest size paper you can and mount that to a big piece of cardboard to serve as an installation aid.  You won't misplace it as easily, and you can quickly see who has it if you're fortunate enough to have help. 

Last Christmas I was so new, I had the new car smell.  My best advice to someone new is to ask questions. LOR users share, share and share their knowledge and expertise.  I built a 64 channel show plus a 12 CCR ribbon tree in less than 2 weeks.

Here's my best advice for the first time user:

1. Go for it. Spend some time to understand the value of the combination of 4. Four groups of four, four colours, four stars, four trees, four levels of dimension.

2. Build a frame for the 12 CCR Christmas tree using 3/4" tubing. Where we live, we have Chinook winds, and it can be +10C to -40C in the same day. By attaching the CCR ribbons to the frame, there was less chance of breakage due to cold or blowing away.

3. Think like the blue sky, then simply your construction of your features. The bigger the feature, the more lights you are going to need. My largest tree was 8 feet high, my smallest tree was 2 feet high

4. Use rope lights to build 1/2" dowel stars - I used two colours (red and yellow) on 8 stars. Be sure to size the stars to the size of the rope light you buy. It took a complete controller to operate, but the effect was great.

5. I used a pre-programmed sequence for the CCR Christmas tree, then programmed the balance of the channels and features around it.

6. Be sure to buy the right arrangement and length of the song.

Enjoy yourself. The audience will love whatever you do.

Darrell

I don't mean to jump the post but Darrell, what do you mean by groups of 4 and 4 levels of dimension? I'm following this thread as I just started last year and am always looking out for advice for newbies

Start planning on December 26th. I have not gone one year of doing this with out some tweek or add on to the show for both Christmas and Halloween. I added a lot of RGBs this year and started converting my sequences starting back in February, too late... I'm caught up on my Halloween sequences but still have quite a number of Christmas sequences to convert. most of the gang here have mentioned the importance of planning in some sort or another.  The two word suggestion for newbies would be PLAN EARLY!!!!! just my 2 pixels.  :)

#1. Use a Kill-A-Watt meter to test the pull on every circuit - prior to show day.  This is INVALUABLE!!!  Do this with ALL lights on that circuit (max load).  I map out every circuit this way and balance/move lights when one circuit is too heavily loaded.  Keep in mind if ANYTHING else that is using that same circuit.  Yes, sometimes this means reprogramming a couple channels.  I can change channels on my 1/2 dozen songs & just as many voice-overs in less than an hour (most of that time is due to RGB being a beast to save)

#1.b. The more LEDs you use the less priority #1 becomes.

#2. Never, I mean never wrap or tape plug ends.  Just keep them off the ground & out of water & you'll be fine. Some get "lucky" with the tape, but they are designed to be outside in the weather.  Shorts are caused by 3 things: 1 - bad wire, 2 - plug sitting in water, 3 - wire frames (these can be a pain, but I love them).  The rest is up to your GFCI to do it's job.

#3. Save a Master map of your channels.  This saves Tons of time adding new songs and when making Channel changes.  Change a channel in 1 sequence - save & save Master .  Then open each sequence, apply the new Master, & Save.  Done.

• Like 1

Once you have finished your sequences and built your show run the Verifier program!!!!!  This checks for those inadvertant errors you may have made like putting two props on the same channel.  Running this ahead of time can save hours of frustration trying to figure out why something isn't acting as planned. 

• Like 1

Last year was the first year for me.  I found my biggest help was using a Google Docs spreadsheet of all my props, all the channels, and anything else I needed to know.  I was able to access it out in the yard on my phone to make changes, on my tablet if I was sitting with my computer, on the computer, in the store to keep shopping lists for items I might need etc.

Being on the cloud it was always backed up.

This will be my first year, this is what I was told. Start a month sooner than I planned as nothing is going to go according to plan and you have never set up something like this.

Secure you CAT5 cable, because controllers don't stay put.

Don't think you are going to get by with one controller, you will get addicted, you will buy more, you will get more elaborate, just go for simple your first year. Get your feet wet in the shallow end, then move on down towards the deep each year thereafter.

Have fun, wrap your connectors with electrical tape or get them well off the ground, and make sure you control boxes are closed and secure.

Get a couple of bike locks to lock your controllers to a tree, post on the front porch.

I don't mean to jump the post but Darrell, what do you mean by groups of 4 and 4 levels of dimension? I'm following this thread as I just started last year and am always looking out for advice for newbies

HI Meegan,

By the group of 4 idea, I wanted to create the maximum effect of the light show, without the need for too many LED lights or too many structural items to create. The rule of four allowed me to consider that the LOR units have 16 light channels, so I could have four trees with four colours of lights, or eight trees with two colours of lights. If I grouped my light colours and special effects based on groups of four channels, I could also work with pre-programmed light sequences to complement my own. It appears that many LOR enthusiasts intentionally develop their shows and displays based on multiples of 4.

This year, I'm challenging myself to make the best possible show with only 16 channels.

Let me know if this helps. Darrell