Light-O-Rama Forums

Keeping Lights on between shows

bmkalbf

First post, so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but was wondering if there is a way to keep all lights on when not in a show. I assume I could create a "blank" sequence filling the remaining time my show does not occupy, but is there a way to always have lights on unless a show is in progress?

If there is a way for LOR to determine when my show is over, and then turn all lights on automatically, then when another show is scheduled, it will launch the show using the schedule.  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know others will chime in on this but I will take a stab at it.

Back in the earlier day I did this. Don helped me out mentioning to make a background (animation) sequence (LAS file) and have it scheduled to run the whole time as a background sequence. The background sequence will take over when your show isn't running. I may be off a little on this but others will chime in soon.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and this crazy hobby.

Edited by Santas Helper

Sanata,

I am always learning new ways of doing things. So, honestly how does that work when the show is done for the night say 10pm? I have not tried anything like this cause my shows run back to back till say 10pm. I then start a new show that I call night lights. Just a gentle fade from about 20%, from this to that element of my show random looking as possible. I run that till about 6 in the morning. Kind of my way of letting perps know that my elements till have power on them and they might bite back. Being out here in the sticks I have not as of yet have had any problems with traffic and thus I just leave the show looping. But if it becomes a problem where I need to keep the cars moving. I might have to resort to a break in the show.

Thanks

Max Paul,

That's what I did a few years ago. I ran my show and at the end, I ran the background LAS sequence with lights fading thru out the night. it was a public event so having the lights on/active kinda kept the Christmas spirit thru-out the night with all the lights.

But I can understand your reason as well. Good idea.

When you schedule a show there is a button you can enable that will have the lights on when a show is not running. This is my 1st year so I haven't seen it work yet, but, as far as I can tell it just randomaly turns lights on and off, flicker or whatever. I don't believe it turns them all on at full brilliance tho.

I know others will chime in on this but I will take a stab at it.

Back in the earlier day I did this. Don helped me out mentioning to make a background (animation) sequence (LAS file) and have it scheduled to run the whole time as a background sequence. The background sequence will take over when your show isn't running. I may be off a little on this but others will chime in soon.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and this crazy hobby.

I said that? Wow.

If you have a sequence running in the background tab, and it has any of the same channels that you are using in your show, those channels will conflict, and not work as expected. 

For example, if you wanted to create a background sequence to have the lights on your roof always cycling between colors, you could do that. However, if you were to use those channels in another sequence, you would have conflicting channels. The results would be unpredictable, changing every time.

When you schedule a show there is a button you can enable that will have the lights on when a show is not running. This is my 1st year so I haven't seen it work yet, but, as far as I can tell it just randomaly turns lights on and off, flicker or whatever. I don't believe it turns them all on at full brilliance tho.

If, for example, you wanted to run a 20 minute show at the top and bottom of the hour, you do it several ways.

Though one way would be to create a show with your songs. (Let's say 5, 4m 10s songs) These songs would be placed in the musical tab.

Then, in the musical tab, place an animation sequence that is over 10 minutes long.

Now schedule your show for 30 minutes in length.

When a show starts your sequences in the musical tab would play in order. (Make sure you didn't randomize them in the show editor.) Then when the musical sequence are done, you the animation sequence would play. Since it is over 10 minutes in length, it would play past the time for your next show to start.

So what happens at the bottom of the hour? LOR will stop an animation sequence when a show it over. A musical sequence would finish playing. Since you would have an animation sequence playing it would stop, and the next show would start.

It might not be the easiest way but it has worked for me for the past 5 seasons.  I play my songs on the same order at the top of the hour.  The last few minutes I run a animation sequence.  Before my show starts I run a separate show that is just animation, timed to end when my show begins.  Then for an hour after my last show I run the animated show for an hour and then the lights and inflatables go out.

• Like 1

I said that? Wow.

If you have a sequence running in the background tab, and it has any of the same channels that you are using in your show, those channels will conflict, and not work as expected. 

For example, if you wanted to create a background sequence to have the lights on your roof always cycling between colors, you could do that. However, if you were to use those channels in another sequence, you would have conflicting channels. The results would be unpredictable, changing every time.

Hey Don,

I might have mis-spoken on the background part (that was 7 years ago when you helped me out). I do remember it being a LAS sequence and maybe it was scheduled at a certain time right after the show.

Guys, sorry about that.

It might not be the easiest way but it has worked for me for the past 5 seasons. I play my songs on the same order at the top of the hour. The last few minutes I run a animation sequence. Before my show starts I run a separate show that is just animation, timed to end when my show begins. Then for an hour after my last show I run the animated show for an hour and then the lights and inflatables go out.

I do the same thing, running an animation at the end of the show. This requires me to know the exact length of my show so I can time the start of the animation. At least LOR has a function to continue the current sequence until it finishes before triggering the animation so a little overlap is ok. I wish LOR made this simpler.

I'm going to have to figure out this quote function someday

Keeping lights on before and after your regular show time?  Wonderful idea -and very easy to do.

Here is a little history how things have worked for me for the last 7 years.  Early on I used rope light to outline the perimeter of my yard.  We would always get a light snowfall and it would cover the rope. So, I learned if I kept the rope on say around 40% brightness, it would create enough heat to melt the snow and the rope would show through - and the glow was awesome durring the show.

So Create a couple of "Animation" sequences (those without music) with some simple nice things happening like your lit christmas packages in the yard glowing faintly, some slow chase effects going on - slow is better , and just create an "After Glow" of your display.  

Using the "Show Editor" create another show and call it something like "Glow".  Then working with your "Scheduler" run this "Glow" show 5 or 10 minutes after your show is over, and schedule it to run till 11:59. Then schedule it again at 12:01 until say 6:00 am.   Your show is off during the day and will start at your scheduled time (I assume). After the show - your "Glow"  will run all night except for that brief off  time of a couple minutes or less. You'll see why I do this as you build your schedule.  

Thats all their is to it. Have fun and don't be afraid to experiment, and don't be afraid to ask how us old timers make all them little people giggle.... :)

Papa...

• Like 1

If you use an FM transmitter and it's not on a timer, always on, you may want to do it this way for overnight, use an empty MP3 file and create a short 2 minute EMPTY MP3 file using a music editor.  Create an musical overnight sequence using the empty MP3 file, then have it set to come on at 10pm, the time your show ends, I use an DC-MP3 Director, so this works out real well for me.   And since I use outdoor speakers, when the overnight sequences comes on it plays the empty MP3 file, just broadcasting silence and not what they call a "dead carrier", this also keeps my outside speakers attached to an FM radio I use from hissing and spitting static sounds all night long.

Some folks say they don't see a need to create an empty silent MP3 file, but if you leave your FM Transmitter on, this keeps any annoying buzzes, hisses, static and bleed over from nearby radio stations from being heard on your outside speakers, because just an LAS {Animation} sequence won't prevent the static hisses, pops or bleedover stations from being heard.  Again, this is only if you use an FM transmitter to broadcast your show and the transmitter is powered on continuously.

Where my transmitter and the DC-MP3 Director I use is located, a timer isn't really all that feasible for me, and is why I do it the way I outlined above.  Been doing it this way for 3 years now.

Edited by Orville

use an empty MP3 file and create a short 2 minute EMPTY MP3 file using a music editor. 

Here's what I did: I got the Demented Elf to record voiceovers that say: "The show is over for tonight, but the lights will be back in full bloom at 5:30 tomorrow..."  I took these recordings, and using Audacity, I mixed them with a "Light Jazz Christmas" album I had. Now no one wonders why their radio isn't working.

I have the speakers on a channel and turn them off when the show is over.

... it plays the empty MP3 file, just broadcasting silence and not what they call a "dead carrier",

I'm pretty sure "dead carrier" is defined as "broadcasting silence". I don't think there is any difference.

... because just an LAS {Animation} sequence won't prevent the static hisses, pops or bleedover stations from being heard.

I can't think of any reason why a sequence with a silent MP3 media would sound any different than just running an LAS sequence. After all, it's a plain audio signal that goes from the DC-MP3 director to the transmitter. LOR wouldn't have designed the director to send static or anything other than silence when no MP3 file is being played.

When I used an animation sequence and had the FM Transmitter on, FM Radio on, the FM Radio would still put out static sounds from the speakers connected to it, to stop this I created the empty MP3 file.   I would not want a voiceover going over outdoor speakers all night long disturbing my neighbors and this is why I did it the way I did.  This way the speakers are dead silent until the daytime music starts at 7-AM.

All I do is unplug the "Tune To" sign when the shows over for the night and turn off the FM transmitter. Very slow animation sequence between shows and set the lights to low at the end of the night. As they say. Whatever works. :)