Light-O-Rama Forums

Sylvania "color changing" LED Mini Lights

TonyD

I ran across these at Costco today - Sylvania "Synchronized Color Changing" LED mini-lights 100 ct (M6) for $12.99.

There's a controller with 3 positions, steady-on warm white, steady-on multi color, and color changing white to multi.

When it changes to multi, the same bulb goes to the same color every time, but it does slowly fade into that color.

Does anyone have any ideas if these could be modified to dumb or smart pixels? There's only 2 wires coming out of the controller.

I ran across these at Costco today - Sylvania "Synchronized Color Changing" LED mini-lights 100 ct (M6) for $12.99.

There's a controller with 3 positions, steady-on warm white, steady-on multi color, and color changing white to multi.

When it changes to multi, the same bulb goes to the same color every time, but it does slowly fade into that color.

Does anyone have any ideas if these could be modified to dumb or smart pixels? There's only 2 wires coming out of the controller.

Probably not, but do you have any pictures or videos?

Probably not, but do you have any pictures or videos?

I'll try to get some posted also i'll bring a set on Friday.

Looks like they are a string of two-color LEDs, all in parallel running off a DC power supply that changes polarity every now and then.

Similar to: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062549&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032233

Looks like they are a string of two-color LEDs, all in parallel running off a DC power supply that changes polarity every now and then.

Similar to: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062549&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032233

too bad - oh well, back they go I guess.

Based on the fact that the bulbs are wired in series, I'd bet that they use 120V, and the controller simply changes the polarity, so it really isn't a power supply.

If that's correct, you could remove the controller, and use 2 LOR channels with 2 diodes to get basically a white string and a multi string. If you have a place where you need a super string composed of a white string and a multi string, but can't handle the weight or bulk of 2 separate strings, this may be usable.

You'll still have the issue that you can't make the entire string the same color, other than white.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Probably yes, but for about $38 you can get twice the length and three times the brightness by using an RGB strip elsewhere.

Not to mention support in case of problems.

Hmmm...  I didn't notice before, but the one in the picture bought a couple of weeks ago is only 8ft.  Costco is currently selling 12 ft (6 x 2 ft) for $29.99 Canadian.  It would probably work out to about the same as the one you suggest, but here I don't have to pay shipping, handling and duty.  Also, I thought the flexible corners and 2ft sections would be more adaptable with less work cutting and soldering.  ;-)