Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating DMX pixel strings in visualizer

owenewo

Hello, I have several 5m pixel strings (160 pixels each) that I want to create as props in visualizer.  There doesn't appear to be any kind of wizard to help me create them quickly.  I have tried to create props by making individual light bulb fixtures, to then group together and then use the wizard to assign the dmx channels, but its taken hours and i'm not getting very far.  Is there a simpler way to do this? or has someone already done it and could share the prop file with me?  Many thanks in advance, feel like i'm getting old in front of my laptop with the most tedius job in the world.

First of all, understand that LOR will only handle props that are up to 64 fixtures (in your case, lights) in length.  That being said, I created a utility to put your DMX light strings into a visualizer file so that you can view them there, or import them into SuperStar as a visualization.  You can find it at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/my48t4i6olkbfjd/weIDjqF602

Give it a try and see if it works for you.  I'm still developing it, so if you get results that are not what you expect, please drop me a PM here.

Jamie

• Like 1

owenewo--I faced exactly the same dilemma about six weeks ago.  I tried several "third party" software solutions to generate my props, but I just couldn't figure out how to make any of them work for me.   I opened up an LOR help desk case to ask LOR about this.  I got the same answer MazdaFan gave you above; prop/fixture limitations for LOR or non-LOR props.  So, I proceeded to build my props "light by light".  Very tedious, but effective.  I did run into the same problem--LOR definitely limits you to 64 fixtures per prop.  You will be able to tell when you run into the limit because LOR will stop "cooperating" with you as you build the fixtures into the prop.  I built four arches that each had about 100 or so (non LOR) RGB pixels in them.  I broke up the arches into "left side" and "right side" props then I stuck the two quarter circles together to make the arches (half circles of course).  I have since decided to go with six arches each having 60 RGBs (2 meter1s worth of strip at 30 pixels/meter), so I just started remapping all my arches last night.  That actually works out nicely because I don't have to break up my props anymore to cope with a LOR limitation.  Here is my personal lesson learned on this--make REALLY SURE you have thought out what you are going to do with your pixel strips.  I didn't do a very good job with this up front and have cost myself a lot of time and effort.  From this point forward I will always think in terms of one meter segments (assuming I continue to use strips...), as that's how you have to "break up" the strips (each segment is one meter long) if your physical elements (e.g. arches, window outlines, whatever...) aren't exactly the length of your strips.  I am willing to spend the time to re-build the visualizer props because it REALLY helps me to be able to see how my props are responding.  Best of luck to you!!!