Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar programs reversed in sequence editor

ttocs

When programming in superstar and saved and exported to the sequence editor everything is up side down.  Any suggestions

Click on the Tools menu and select Layout

At the bottom of the Layout dialog box is a setting for "Controllers Location"

Set the controllers location to match where your controllers

Export the sequence again

It should play right side up

any other suggestions.  I am making a sign using ccp's.  So there are 12 horizontal rows of lights.  So if you program the top row to be red, when copied over from superstar to the sequence editor it will show as the bottom row red.  Upside down. 

For a 12 row horizontal matrix SuperStar considers the CCR on the bottom to be CCR 1 and CCR 12 is at the top. In your actual light display you must order them in that same way.

In the Sequence Editor, it happens to order them from top to bottom, so any text you happen to see in the Sequence Editor will be upside down, but that is unrelated to how it will appear in the actual light display.

• 1 year later...

Hi Brian,

I am trying to use Superstar this year for my matrix. (Already using it for my Mega Tree).  I have been using Nutcracker until now.   In Superstar, It looks, and display normally, but when exporting the sequences, the text is upside down.  I have checked the configuration settings, and that did not help.  My Matrix is cabled with the CCP's starting at the TOP Left, and not the bottom.

I AM NOT CRAWLING UP ON THE ROOF AND TAKING MY SIGN DOWN TO REDO ALL THE PIXELS.

Is there any else I can do to correct this?  Did I miss something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

In CCR mode superstar uses fixed orientations. But in visualization mode you layout the lights anyway you want and orient them any way you want. As long as your visualization matches the actual lights it will play correctly. So don't worry about having to redo your pixels.

If you do a horizontal matrix in CCR mode superstar gives the option of putting the controllers on the left or right but you must always put the first CCR on the bottom and go up from there. Realize that the order of the CCRs in your matrix is unrelated to how it appears in the sequence editor. It always exports the CCRs in top down order according to unit ID. So if you are using CCR mode the text will be upside down in the sequence editor but will be right side up on the actual CCRs.

Now, to discuss Visualization mode. If you want to layout your ribbons so the first CCR is on the top then you can make a Visualization of your CCR matrix and draw them in the visualizer with the first CCR on the top. Realize that the pixels in a CCR are numbered from 1 to 50 with pixel number 1 being the pixel closest to the controller. As you draw the CCR in the Visualizer the direction that the pixel numbers are increasing must match the pixels on your actual display. You could make each CCR increase in a different direction if you want and superstar will layout the pixels accordingly and the sequence will play properly to your lights. However, most people put all their controllers on one side or the other and put the first CCR on the top or the bottom. There is a matrix tool in the visualizer that makes it easier to draw a matrix. But you don't have to use the matrix tool, you can draw them individually if you want.

Scott, in your case you have two options. You can keep using CCR mode and change the unit ID assignments on your CCRs. You can change the unit IDs with all of your controllers connected, in other words, it can all be done from your computer. Just make sure that as you change the unit IDs you don't ever have two controllers with the same ID. For example, the way I would do it is change the last 6 controllers to unit IDs that you are not using. Then change the first 6 controllers and after they are complete, change the last 6 controllers. After you are done, the order of the unit IDs should be reversed from what they were originally.

As I mentioned if you make two of the controllers be the same unit ID then that is bad news because you will have to climb on your roof and hook up one of those controllers individually in order to change its ID.

The other option is to make a horizontal matrix visualization that matches your display and import it into superstar. If that is the route you want to take, and you need help with the visualization let me know.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your quick response!

I have been working on this matrix in Superstar and Visualizer for about 8 straight hours, and have not much hair left.

I have a 1600 pixel megatree, and 1200 other pixels in arches, and poles that work great in Superstar.  It it just this darn matrix that I cannot figure out

I have attached a link to the files that I have been using for testing. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B00VsQRaJy3ZX0owQlR5d3NHWG8/view?usp=sharing\

These include:

• My Visualizer .LEE file for my Matrix. This is configured exactly the same as my actual hardware, Except the Channel ID's are for CCRS (I hit the 1000 Pixel limit in the Visualizer long ago)
  • A Simple .LAS sequence that has the same channel config as the Visualizer so that I can test.
  • A Superstar .SUP file of simple text in CCR mode.
  • A .LAS export of the the CCR mode sequence above from Superstar
  • A Superstar .SUP file of simple text in Visualizer mode (Using the above Visualizer file).
  • A .LAS export of the the Visualizer mode sequence above from Superstar

Notes:

My Pixels are actually running on SAN-Devices controllers, NOT CCR's  I am aware that I need to cut and paste the output from the superstar exported.LAS/LMS file into a sequence with the proper channel configuration, and I know NOT to include the Macro channels from the CCR's.  I have been doing this for my Megtree and Arches.  It works perfectly.

My Matrix is configured of 6 stings of 50 pixels each.  They start at the TOP LEFT, and are folded in half. (i.e. Row1 is String1-Pixels1-25,   Row2 is String1-pixels50-26**** They are reversed on purpose...You can see this in the visualizer file).

I am not sure what to do to make this work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Doing visualizations for superstar is not always straight forward. Sorry you have had to spend so much time on it. Because it is difficult I am willing to help when I can. Attached is a visualization file that should work. When you import it into superstar set the sequencing grid max length to 25 and set the detection lines to 12.

I created a "back door" method of assigning dmx addresses to CCR strings in a visualization. You use the keywords "superstar dmx=<universe, channel>" in the comment line of a prop containing ccr pixels.

I have added a prop and some keywords for each row of strings in the attached visualization. It uses universe 1, and universe 2 for the strings. You can go into the visualization and assign them differently if your want.

By using the keywords you can export the sequence and it will already have all the dmx stuff defined.

If the attached visualization file gets corrupted let me know. Send an email to brian@superstarlights.com and I will reply to it with the visualization file attached.

Also, there is a bug in superstar that when it exports dmx it doesn't keep them in order. So when you look at it in the sequence editor the strings will be in no apparent order. You can right click on the row and move it if you want, but you don't need to. It will play to your lights fine.