Light-O-Rama Forums

Best FM Transmitter Pre-Built

crowninb

I have recently upgraded to a 12 ccr tree this year and also bought the G3 MP3 player which i hope to run my entire network off off. I am assuming that i will be able to run an FM transmitter off of the unit so i dont have to have audio playing all the time outside. I am looking for a good unit that is already built. I know that a lot of you recommend EDM but i am not what you cal the best at assembling using a soldering gun nor do i have the time to tinker with it. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated 

thank you 

Brice

As far as soldering an EDM transmitter it has been said many times that even a CAVEMAN can do it.

Earle

A lot depends on your budget.  I alsways say, "you get what you pay for".  With that said, I have used the Ramsey FM30 for about 7 years with no issues.

here is one assembled off the website:  http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM30B

here is one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ramsey-FM30-Digital-FM-Stereo-Transmitter-/231013032538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c973225a

As far as soldering an EDM transmitter it has been said many times that even a CAVEMAN can do it.

Earle

I am with Earle on this one. I took the advise of the elders, the guys that have been there done that, and went with an EDM.

It took me all of 5 mins. to do the soldering. It took the iron 10 mins to come up to temp. This transmitter has been flawless for going on 4 years. The sound quality rivals that of a pro station.

Just my two cents worth.

damn ok well looks like i will have to really consider buying the edm one then.. i see that there are mulitple devices do you recommend one over the other?

it will be placed right under my 12 ccr tree which will be about 30 feet from the street and connected to my g3 mp3 player 

brice

I found a great deal on the Whole House model a couple of months ago and was sorely disappointed in my first test of the device.   I then saw Earle's recommendation to another enthusiast a few weeks ago and took his sage advice to go with EDM.  I checked around and these have quite a positive reputation. I too was concerned about which model.  Reeling from disappointment on the other transmitter, I was inclined to buy the more expensive pro model to make sure I would be satisfied over the long term, but I contacted EDM for a specific model recommendation and they told me that the pro model was overkill for an exterior lumination application so I settled on the EDM-LCD-CS-EP because I also wanted the protective enclosure.  I asked about an upgraded antenna and again, rather than to try to upsell me and squeeze me for maximum profit, they said the test antenna that comes with the device would be more than adequate for my needs.

My EDM radio is due any day now.  

I can advise when it arrives if you're interested.

Edited by Bizywk
  • Like 1

+2 on the EDM, 4+ years and still crystal clear.

Like he said, above.

This is the one I use http://www.dagcoelectronics.com/store/500-mw-rangestar-wireless-music-long-range-fm-transmitter-2?zenid=f26649e3980b07f6083a80181139b203  Last year my audio jack had a short in it during the show, where I had to rig it up so people could have sound out of the right and left speaker, the owner replaced my unit for free.  

I agree with caniac the FM transmitter is powerful and feels like it has a good build quality. I got mine off ebay for a good price and it was very powerful so remember to check range in your location mine goes 1/10th mile perfect and another 1/10 with static. 

I also use the model Canic has shown,,as well as my sister and a good friend two with two years and one with one year sevice  zero issues

Edited by james campbell

My EDM-LCD-CS-EP arrived in the mail today, and as requested, here are my observations.

The transmitter arrived as a complete package, safely shipped, and included both a 1/4 wave wired, and a rubber duck antenna.  It was completely soldered up and mounted in the metal housing - ready to go with the exception of the power connector which comes as a separate part which requires soldering.   ??    Three simple solder joints later (5min tops) and I was up from the basement on my kitchen table hooking it up my iPod.   The transmitter was crystal clear on just the rubber duck which is a shorter range antenna.  I left the transmitter right where it was, antenna horizontal against the table, and went 13 houses down my block before the signal showed signs of degrading.  This transmitter is excellent.  I don't even need to set the optimum conditions for transmission such as ensuring that its on the second floor or even near the front of the house to ensure good signal from all line-of-site vantage points. My kitchen is on the back of the house and penetrated my brick with no trouble at all.  

I purchased a whole house transmitter early this spring and was sorely disappointed.  This transmitter beats that on hands down in my opinion.  The craftsmanship looks excellent.   My only recommendation is make sure you have an audio adapter cable on hand when it arrives so you can immediately fire it up.    It uses stereo RCA inputs and you'll likely need the male 3.5mm stereo jack on the other cable end in order to connect it to your computer.    You'll also want to check the website http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant?select=city&city=46123&state=&x=0&y=0  to make sure you have a clear channel for your location to avoid interference. 

I am much more confident now that our visitors will have an enjoyable show since I traded out transmitters.  If the sound is crappy, it will undermine all your hard work with the lights. 

Good Luck.

• Like 2

Having separate parts that need soldering qualifies it as a kit, which gives it much less restrictions, legal-wise, and has more freedom to be sold elsewhere.

I have to agree with Dave about the Ramsey for the best sound quality and performance. I also have a the FM30 and couldn't happier a guy on the other side of town who also has a display after hearing mine a few years ago trashed his and went out and purchased one for his display.

Before I purchased mine I had the opportunity to compare 3 different makes of xmiters and the Ramsey was hands down the Best, the cost was more but well worth it IMO.

Also theres a guy on PC selling one if you haven't got one  yet that you might want to check out the Classifieds over there I think he is asking $90.00 for the FM25

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/classifieds/item/636-ramsey-transmitter/#overview

Edited by gmac