Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel addressing for the E1-31 network

kzaas

I am just getting into RGB pixels and SANDEVICES E682. My question is addressing. is each universes channels 1 through 170 or for instance for the E682 that can control 6 universes is the addressing for U1 1 through 170 then U2 is the next 170 channels and so on.

Each DMX universe can control 170 RGB channels.  They would be 1 - 170 for that universe.  Now to confuse things a bit, the DMX universe REALLY is channels 1 - 512.  There is NO requirement that DMX be used for RGB.  However since most of us are using DMX for RGB, we often get lazy and think of it as 1 - 170 (170 * 3 = 510 and DMX channels 511 & 512 are normally unused).  Both in LOR SE and when configuring the E682, you are dealing with individual channels, so it's 1 - 510

For example, my pixel tree uses 600 RGB channels (or 1800 channels), so it's using the entirety of DMX universes 11, 12, and 13; and part of universe 14.  Then the star on top uses another 360 RGB channels (or 1080 channels) so they are in the rest of universe 14, all or universe 15, and part of universe 16.

I do understand that it is 512 channels per universe, I just misstated my question. Is each universe channels addressed 1 through 512 or does universe 2 start at 513

Universe 1 has channels 1 - 512

Universe 2 has channels 1 - 512

Etc.

Think of is just like any collection of LOR controllers - each controller has channels 1 - 16 (or 8 or 24 or lots more for Cosmic Color devices).

a simple question gets the best of all of us LOL  now I don't feel as bad LOL

• 3 years later...

Hello all

Last year I built a 24 string rgb mega tree with lor controller and pixlite 16 dmx controller pcb. I have 24 universes on that tree and it works fine.. This year I am adding another 16 string rgb mega tree and another pixlite 16 pcb.. I can get the tree to work when I start the universes at 1 to 16. Now here is my problem, the first tree is 1 to 24 and when I have the second tree starting at 25 to 40 it will not light . The only other thing that might be a problem is the first tree only uses 24 universes out of the 32.available.. The pixlite 16 has two banks of 8 output. The second bank of 8 on the 2nd controller are not used. They have no power supplied to them.. Could that be my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced..

Rottav

I don't about the Pixlite, but the SanDevices controllers generally take power from the second bank.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• The topic was locked