Light-O-Rama Forums

sequencing for a 24 string pixel tree

berniebean

Brian. caught the bug when i saw your 24 strand pixel tree, so i built myself one. I must say it was pretty challenging, but i succeeded and am very happy with the results.  That said i need some tips on sequencing  ( unfortunately i won't be able to make it to the christmas expo).

in your sequence rock ye merry gentleman you have a red and green double helix swirling around.  did you use the superstar to sequence that or did you do it in the sequence editor? 

also, if i have sequenced a few minutes and want to repeat the whole thing again later in the song, is there an easy way to copy and paste the entire sequence? i seem to be only able to copy what is directly displayed on my computer screen.

thanks

berniebean

I did use SuperStar to sequence the 24 strand pixel tree. If you have the current version of S3 (which is v3.9.0.0) then you can do the following:

1) Launch SuperStar

2) Click on Open

3) navigate to the Samples folder

4) Open "Vis_24x25Tree_4RowGlobe_Spirals.sup"

The above sample contains some of the spiral effects that you see in Rock Ye Merry Gentlemen. If you want to see exactly what is in the Rock Ye Merry Gentlemen test video, you can purchase it from my web site for $4.95. Go to www.superstarlights.com and click on the Purchase link underneath the word "Sequences".

The swirling helix is really just a 45 degree line moving around the tree. In SuperStar you do this with a morph. Also note that to sequence the tree SuperStar has a "wrap around" mode that makes it easier to do effects that wrap around the tree. In wrap around mode, you have two copies of the sequencing grid laid side to side, that way you can do effects that cross the boundary between the first and last strand. Its a bit hard to explain, its easy to just look at the sample effects and you can see how they use wrap around mode.

As for doing copy paste of a large section, you can use Ctrl + Mouse click to add to any selection. So you can click and drag to select everything in the current 8 seconds you are viewing, then you can scroll right and use Ctrl + Mouse click to add to the selection. You can continue doing this as many times as necessary, then click on the Copy button.

Also, if you want to copy the entire sequence you can click on the Edit menu and select "Select All" and then click on the Copy button.

Brian

I bought two extra CCP's and controllers to build my globe. Is there away to expand the globe grid in SuperStar for the extra controller? Or is that something that you would have to do? I may not get it done for this year, but may get it done for next year.

Thanks

If you open the sample visualization named "24x25Tree_4RowGlobe.lee" in the Visualizer you will see a list of coordinates in the comment field of the two props used for the globe. You would need to do something similar for an 8 row globe.

I do plan on creating one in the next release. It would be good to use that one. If everyone standardizes on one visualization then they can share sequences. If you have your own unique visualization then you need your own unique sequences.

Thanks Brian.

I think I'll wait to see if you get one done. I am no good with x and y axes.

Thanks Brian.   I bought you sequence few weeks back. Now just trying to figure it all out.   Are you going to be putting on any classes, courses other than the at the christmas expo.

berniebean

I don't plan on doing classes beyond what I will be doing at the Christmas expo. I do plan on add more video tutorials. If you haven't watched them already, you can see them by going to the lightorama main page, click on Support, and then click on Video Tutorials. The SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom. The first two on Scenes and Morphs are the best ones to give an introduction.

• 2 weeks later...

If you open the sample visualization named "24x25Tree_4RowGlobe.lee" in the Visualizer you will see a list of coordinates in the comment field of the two props used for the globe. You would need to do something similar for an 8 row globe.

I do plan on creating one in the next release. It would be good to use that one. If everyone standardizes on one visualization then they can share sequences. If you have your own unique visualization then you need your own unique sequences.

I know you told this before, but I can't find it. Could you tell me where you bought your globe material and the size that you used.

Thanks

I bought the hemispheres from Edith Aiken Company:
http://www.edee.com/Acrylic%20Hemispheres.htm

I bought two of the 12.00" diameter white. Request a 1/2 inch flange around the edges

Also, it is important to have a 1/2 inch drill bit that is made for acrylic plastic or else you will probably chip or crack the acrylic plastic while drilling the holes.
I bought mine from ePastics at: http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Lexan_Plastic_Drill_Bits
You can also buy the drill bit from TAP plastics: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/plastic_tools_supplies/tap_plasdrill_bits/161

Just this week I finished my work on the new "smooth" effects in the software. So in the next few weeks I can spend time on the 360 degree tree. I have two 14.00" diameter hemispheres, and I will try making an 8 row globe from them. I have some concern that 14" diameter will be too small and I may have to go to 16", its the kind of thing thats hard to know before you actually try drilling the holes and see how it turns out. I have a visualization of an 8 row globe and have experimented with sequencing it and its really cool. The Globe ends up being an extension of the tree, effects, images, and text can be scrolled up the tree and the appear on the globe as well. Myself, I think the cost of one more CCP controller is well worth the extra WOW you get from the 8 row globe. In a few weeks I should be able to have the real thing built and see first hand what the real thing looks like.

I bought the hemispheres from Edith Aiken Company:

http://www.edee.com/Acrylic%20Hemispheres.htm

I bought two of the 12.00" diameter white. Request a 1/2 inch flange around the edges

Also, it is important to have a 1/2 inch drill bit that is made for acrylic plastic or else you will probably chip or crack the acrylic plastic while drilling the holes.

I bought mine from ePastics at: http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Lexan_Plastic_Drill_Bits

You can also buy the drill bit from TAP plastics: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/plastic_tools_supplies/tap_plasdrill_bits/161

Just this week I finished my work on the new "smooth" effects in the software. So in the next few weeks I can spend time on the 360 degree tree. I have two 14.00" diameter hemispheres, and I will try making an 8 row globe from them. I have some concern that 14" diameter will be too small and I may have to go to 16", its the kind of thing thats hard to know before you actually try drilling the holes and see how it turns out. I have a visualization of an 8 row globe and have experimented with sequencing it and its really cool. The Globe ends up being an extension of the tree, effects, images, and text can be scrolled up the tree and the appear on the globe as well. Myself, I think the cost of one more CCP controller is well worth the extra WOW you get from the 8 row globe. In a few weeks I should be able to have the real thing built and see first hand what the real thing looks like.

I am going to wait to see how yours turns out before I get my globes. I do have two extra controllers to use. I have my strings with the wire loom done. I zip tied my strings to 1/8" nylon rope and then put the wire loom over the strings and rope. Made a loop at the top and bottoms of the ropes. Hopefully the rope will take all the stress.

Thanks

i like the look of my tree without the wire looms. do i need them to protect the pixels or is it just for effect? my tree will be on a balcony partially protected from the elements her in Vancouver (ie. rain!) any thoughts?    thanks

The wire loom is to diffuse the light from the CCPs and make it so you can see the glow equally well from any angle. The wire loom has a slit down the side so it is not water tight. The CCPs are already made to be weather proof so you do not need anything to protect them from water.

• 4 weeks later...

My pixel tree doesn't look as good in my visualizer as it does in SuperStar. I hope my tree will look like the SuperStar in real life and not like my visualizer.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian, are you using pixel's from LOR? Also do you have any day time photo's of your tree that you could share?

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by jonathan78

jonathan78

In You Tube the following might help: ( Cosmic Color Pixel Tree - Close Ups showing construction of the tree and sphere ). It helped me.

Yes, I am using LOR Cosmic Color Pixels. I am making the tree again and will be done soon. This time I am making it a little different, I am zip tying the lights to the string and then putting the wire loom around that, and I am using white wire loom this time, and I have a 14 inch diameter globe with 8 rows of lights. I should have a video of two sequences by the weekend. Also, I am taking videos as I build it so I will have a good video showing how I built it.

Will you be uploading the sequences on your website for purchase ? I'm hoping you will have ( Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24) on your sequence selection.

Thanks

Yes, I am using LOR Cosmic Color Pixels. I am making the tree again and will be done soon. This time I am making it a little different, I am zip tying the lights to the string and then putting the wire loom around that, and I am using white wire loom this time, and I have a 14 inch diameter globe with 8 rows of lights. I should have a video of two sequences by the weekend. Also, I am taking videos as I build it so I will have a good video showing how I built it.

Looking forward to it.......