Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing Contest!

George Simmons

Please note:  This sequencing contest is for fun only and was suggested by a forum member.  It is not being produced by, managed by, judged by, sanctioned by, or in any way influenced by LOR.  Please don't waste the time of anyone at LOR with questions related to the contest that they can't answer.  Any questions or concerns should be expressed publicly in this thread and either Brian, Paul or George will respond.

SEQUENCING CONTEST RULES

One entry per person.

There are two categories:

Newbie – people who have produced one or fewer synchronized displays.

Veteran – people who have produced more than one synchronized display.

Participants must indicate which category they’re entering.  Newbies can enter either category, while veterans can only enter the veteran category.

Each category will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.  No other scores will be posted.   Should a category have fewer than 5 entries, there will be only one winner.

Prizes:  Bragging rights only. 

All entries must be received prior to midnight EST on 2/22.

Winners will be announced on or about 2/25.

Entries must be sent to forum member PMC at lorcontest@neatlights.com  (DO NOT send entries to either judge - that will result in disqualification.)  Each entry received will be coded by PMC with an entry number only and then forwarded to the judges.  The master list will remain in PMC’s possession at all times.  The judges will have no knowledge of whose entry they’re grading.  Grading will be on a 1 to 10 scale in each of the following areas:

Creativity

Timing

Flow

Use of color

Musical Interpretation

Overall Watchability

Each entry will be graded separately by each judge.  The combined scores will determine the winners.  In the event of a tie, both entries will be discarded and the next highest scorer will be crowned champion.  (Just kidding – in the unlikely event of a tie we’ll figure something out.)  In any event, the decisions of the judges are final. 

Entrants must use the blank sequence provided.  Entrants may rearrange and/or group the channels in the sequence however they see fit.  Entrants are free to use the Visualizer, however no provisions have been made for that, so you're totally on your own.  Judging will be done using the Animation only.  Entrants are not allowed to modify the Animation. 

The Contest files can be downloaded from this address: http://claremontchristmaslights.com/Contest_Entry.html

Good luck and happy sequencing!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PMC

• TonyD

• Brian Mitchell

• George Simmons

Brian and I took a few liberties with the ideas that were suggested in the original contest thread.  We settled on a 48-channel layout so that entrants would have more display elements with which to work.  We set the entry deadline at 14 days so that everyone has plenty of time.  We're fairly certain that no one here has previously sequenced the contest music, which should provide a perfectly level playing field.  And we set up a blind judging system so that bias cannot be a factor.

Edited by George Simmons

1st dumb question of the thread - will I need more than the demo version of the software to submit? What exactly do I submit? If not obvious by now I am in the Newbie category!

One more question - do you think at some point we might be able to view other's sequences? Not to critique the judges opinions, but to see what others have done and get ideas for future sequences. Perhaps as a condition of entering we agree to allow this?

Thanks,

Tony

I'm not sure of the answer to the demo question.  I think it will be fine since we only have to view the sequence and not edit it in any way.

Sharing of the sequences will be up to the entrants as we have made no claim of ownership on the submissions.  I do think we should make the winners sequences available for viewing but will ask permission.

1st dumb question of the thread - will I need more than the demo version of the software to submit? What exactly do I submit? If not obvious by now I am in the Newbie category!

I believe the demo software will be fine.  All that needs to be submitted is the .lms file.

One more question - do you think at some point we might be able to view other's sequences? Not to critique the judges opinions, but to see what others have done and get ideas for future sequences. Perhaps as a condition of entering we agree to allow this?

Thanks,

Tony

You're perfectly free to critique the judges opinions - Brian feels no pain and I can endure any/all that I need to. 

Yes - we'll figure out the best way to post the entries after the contest ends.

Edited by George Simmons

GOOD NEWS!!!

The ante has been upped.  We now have prizes.   Light-o-rama Dan has donated a $50 gift certificate to the winner of each catagory.

GOOD NEWS!!!

The ante has been upped.  We now have prizes.   Light-o-rama Dan has donated a $50 gift certificate to the winner of each catagory.

NICE! :)  Way to go DAN!!

Second dumb question of clarification so that I know Exactly where I fit.  One or fewer shows.... means "If you did just Christmas, then you're a newbie." but if you did "Christmas AND Halloween, then you're a veteran" ?  Is this correct, or incorrect?

Were you meaning "Shows" or "Seasons" ?

Second dumb question of clarification so that I know Exactly where I fit.  One or fewer shows.... means "If you did just Christmas, then you're a newbie." but if you did "Christmas AND Halloween, then you're a veteran" ?  Is this correct, or incorrect?

Were you meaning "Shows" or "Seasons" ?

I would allow a newbie for that.  George? Paul?

Unless they were in seperate years.

Edited by Brian Mitchell

George stated one or fewer sequenced displays, so that would be either Christmas or Halloween

and a person who falls under the "fewer" level is a person who doesn't have a display "yet" like Sheldon but is sequencing for the upcoming Holiday

But to answer, yes I would allow too, but George is the rule maker and I abide by his response on this

And a big thanks to Dan for the Gift Certificates

Edited by PMC

I agree with Brian and Paul.  Let's call it one lighting season or less makes a newbie.  A season would include October - December, and it wouldn't matter whether the entrant did one or both holidays.

GOOD NEWS!!!

wow thanks Dan,what has been finalized? do we have a song and I noticed catagorys. what newbies and veterens being the only two.I would agree thats enough. I think with a prize this will get a big response now(if not already)

wow thanks Dan,what has been finalized? do we have a song and I noticed catagorys. what newbies and veterens being the only two.I would agree thats enough. I think with a prize this will get a big response now(if not already)

never mind,did not realize the first post changed

Brian, George and Paul,

I just thought that I would bring this to your attention. Did  any one consider the fact that everyone that chooses to enter the contest may not be using the latest version of the LOR software? I will use myself as the example, I am running 2.9.4. I downloaded the zip files for the contest. When I went to open the lms file I got a warning window. This file was made using a newer version of the LOR software then what I am using, some of the features may not work. I just thought you all would want to know of this. I am not sure if it will not work. I just thought that it sure would be a shame if you took all of the time to do the sequence submit it and it would not work. What are your thoughts on this?

version 2.9.4 does not have the visualizer, so in your case if you can open the contest grid and import the audio file and you can save it as 2.9.4 your good, if it is problematic just create/dublicate a new sequence using the 48 channel grid and import the attached grid in this apply and we will judge by the sequencing grid and not the visualizer since you don't have that capability

If creating a new sequence..Do Not Put Your Name On The Sequence, Leave that blank

George and Brian, do you agree for the older versions of LOR

Edited by PMC

When emailing me your sequence:

I just need the .lms file (No audio or backup files) and please zip (compress) that file before you email it to me at "lorcontest@neatlights.com" I will reply to all entrants that I have received your email and please tell me what classification you are entering, Newbie (N) or Veteran (V)

And I will reply with you are entrant "N-01" or "V-01" and this is the only identification Brain and George will know about you, I am the only person who knows your true identity. so in this contest I am a level 1 judge it is Brian and George that are actually judging the sequence for its creativity, I will be called if there is a tie-breaker vote needed

thanks,

Paul

Edited by PMC

Brian, George and Paul,

I just thought that I would bring this to your attention. Did  any one consider the fact that everyone that chooses to enter the contest may not be using the latest version of the LOR software? I will use myself as the example, I am running 2.9.4. I downloaded the zip files for the contest. When I went to open the lms file I got a warning window. This file was made using a newer version of the LOR software then what I am using, some of the features may not work. I just thought you all would want to know of this. I am not sure if it will not work. I just thought that it sure would be a shame if you took all of the time to do the sequence submit it and it would not work. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks Joe.  Yes, we did take into account the S2 users among us.  That's why we chose the Animation over the Visualizer.  The warning window you saw shouldn't prevent opening or editing of the sequence file, as it's my understanding that there's been no significant change in sequence structure or the function of the Animation from S2 to S3.  

You can be our canary in the mine here.  Please take a couple minutes to do some sequencing and then save and re-open the file just to make sure that everything works okay.

As far as judging goes, we should have no issues opening and viewing sequences done with S2.

Thanks for the questions.