Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 and DMX

Robert Burton

If you are running a controller that is E1.31, can it daisy chain into a controller that is running DMX. For example a SanDevice controller and then a 27 channel DMX controller.

Thanks,

Robert

A Sandevices controller runs E131, not DMX, so to answer your question, no. Take daisy-chaining out of your thought process when thinking about E131, its not the same approach as a string of LOR controllers, or DMX controllers using RS485. 

That is a major draw back of E1.31.  It will get you a significantly large amount of channels to a location very easily (in most cases with just one cable) it just will not plug directly into most devices.  Even in the professional lighting world, there are not many E1.31 supported devices.  That is why an E1.31 to DMX bridge is really a great investment and very easy to use.  Run E1.31 to the bridge and than connect your DMX devices.  By doing so you open yourself up to a whole host of products because almost everything supports DMX...including LOR products.

Greg

That is a good explanation :-)

Here is my dilemma. I am going to run LOR and DMX. The DMX stuff is the dumb strips and modules. *I May* run some smart pixels if the money holds out from 2 sideline jobs I have coming up in the Spring. Would love a pixel tree ;-)  I run my LOR with a LOR dongle and my DMX with a RPM dongle. So if I did go with one of the Joshua or SanDevice...that is E1.31. Sooooooo what to do.  I am running LOR3 and really want to continue. I also don't want to dump the equipment I have now. 

You dont need to dump any gear you have. e1.31 is a seperate network just like the DMX and the LOR networks. If you dont already have a DMX dongle then the LOR dongle can be used as an open DMX dongle and then you can run all your LOR boards in DMX mode connected in the same network as your DMX controllers, Take a look at running LOR in DMX presentation found here for how you do this.

that opens a different door.  As on a 1.31 device like E682 or J1 boards suchs as the P12 or P8 or P2 there is a board coming out much like a DC board but on the network looks like pixels.  So you can run smart strip for your tree and on the same output run a DC board for strobes, dumb rbg strip, DC floods, wall wahsers and so on.   The LOR stuff I reccomend stay on the LOR network as the effects like shimmer do not work so well on DMX

Again another good presentation slides. I thought I remembered something was lost on LOR when in dmx. Shimmer and Twinkle.

So that is probably what I would do. Run 3 networks. Lot of wires to deal with, but would be able to keep what I have on the sequences I have going now. Just add in the pixel tree ;-)