Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Family Controller Fund

ItsMeBobO

I want to add to my post and give an update about our neighbor. He passed away after a long fight with cancer. Now it's my turn to have the neighbors to see what he has inspired me to do. 

Hi my name is Cliff, I am a newbie. I have been following the forums for about 3 months now. I would like to get into the hobby and have decorated my house over the last 10 years or so with lights. Nothing too wild. Life has been pretty good up until 2009. My father in law had cancer and pass away in April of 2011. This was a long drawn out battle with cancer and it was hard on the entire family. Christmas was a time of joy and it was a time of the year that he loved. He decorated his house also every year. When he passed we had almost an entire year before Christmas so the pain of having him around wasn't as fresh but hurt just the same. My daughter was 5 that Christmas and it turned out to just be a bad Christmas season. My mother in law didn't come over to the house and we didn't see her for the day of Christmas and that left my wife feeling very sad. The one thing we love to do is drive around and look the lights. Over the past few years in our area less and less people are displaying lights. So looking at lights turned out to be a disappointment. 2012 the year started off slow and if we fast forward to June 15th. The world came crashing in again. My mother in law suddenly pass away. The phone call at 2:30 am is that the one anyone ever wants to get! Two months later my wife's grandmother gets word that she has cancer and she passes away a few weeks later. This leaves my wife with no family, other than her brother and our daughter and myself. Christmas time wasn't the same this year. We tried our best to keep things as normal as we can for our six year old daughter. I put lights up outside and this year added more to the house and starting planning what to do for 2013. I showed my wife and daughter videos of the houses people from this sight have done over that few years and they were amazed. 

This got me into looking at automated light shows and what it would take to do our own. No one in our town does one and I could bring some Christmas cheer to our home and share it with others. The neighbor across the street does a great static show and loves putting up the lights, but this year he didn't do it. He is fighting his own battle with cancer. So now I am on a mission to bring some life back into our neighborhood and city. 

Please consider me for the newbie fund. I am in search of something to give us a new hope for Christmas  God is good and he is the reason for the season but, their is nothing better then spending the quality time with the family riding around looking at Christmas lights. 

I'd like to thank this forum and maybe I can become one of you guys. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ItsMeBobO

• greywolf

• Herbaclaus

• DougP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the announcement of the summer sale,  this years Newbie family controller fund will be closed for applications on Wednesday July 3rd !

We will be accepting donations until the scholarships are awarded around the end of July.  

My donation is in. Good luck to all applicants! 

I was a scholarship recipient last year and have vowed to contribute for years to come to keep this "Good Thing" going.  It really helped kick start me into this hobby.  This year, I am looking at lighting a full 128 hard earned channels.  I am also doing my part in designing new things to change the look of this hobby.  You'll never guess where this hobby will take you or what doors it will open.  Just don't forget, this hobby is not just for you.  It's also for your family and community.  So next year, whether or not you receive a scholarship, don't hesitate to give to the fund anyway to help put smiles on faces around the world. 

-Matt

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Whats the fund total stand at?

Not at home to check my spreadsheet..  But I think its $1445  !    More than double last year and enough to get four newbie families started!

Newbies who posted in this thread will be considered.  Please do not wait for the scholarships to be awarded.  Place your order during the summer sale.

If you are given a scholarship,  I will ask you for a LOR paid reciept of your first AC controller  or CC device and you will be reimbursed by the fund. 

Next week all who posted will get an email or IM with a questionarire about your current setup. Please reply to stay active on our list.

additional  note to my app for this years contest

we are now in the  process of moving to texas 

we will be in our new home  on the 19th

my family and i are excited to begin again in a new place

after we get settled i'm finally going to get the basic  package licence to start with

good luck to everyone who entered  :D  :D

additional  note to my app for this years contest

we are now in the  process of moving to texas 

we will be in our new home  on the 19th

my family and i are excited to begin again in a new place

after we get settled i'm finally going to get the basic  package licence to start with

good luck to everyone who entered  :D  :D

internet will be offline in a few days due to move ... ( july 17th ) ... will be back up in a few days afterwards 

Not at home to check my spreadsheet..  But I think its $1445  !    More than double last year and enough to get four newbie families started!

Newbies who posted in this thread will be considered.  Please do not wait for the scholarships to be awarded.  Place your order during the summer sale.

If you are given a scholarship,  I will ask you for a LOR paid reciept of your first AC controller  or CC device and you will be reimbursed by the fund. 

Next week all who posted will get an email or IM with a questionarire about your current setup. Please reply to stay active on our list.

hi Bob... do you know if the emails/IM's were sent out?  i havent seen anything and just want to make sure that i didnt miss it

thanks

pc's are being  torn down for move tomorrow 

loading truck monday

will be back in few days 

good luck everyone  :D  :D  :D

Good luck to everyone this year!  I was awarded a software upgrade scholarship in 2012 and am very grateful to all the donors.  I know with this years fund, a whole bunch of you will feel the same joy and happiness my family felt when your first LOR show starts running.

Still working on all the pms and emails.   I will post when they are sent.  Sorry for the hold up.   

PMs were sent to all the people who posted a story in this thread.  If you did not receive one please pm me.   Please reply to remain in consideration.  Thank you! 

Reply sent.

Thanks again. Regardless if I'm lucky enough to get chosen or not, its a great thing you guys are doing!

PMs were sent to all the people who posted a story in this thread. If you did not receive one please pm me. Please reply to remain in consideration. Thank you!

PM sent

Donations can still be made to my Paypal  itsmebobo at yahoo dot com until end of day Sunday July 21.

Several hopeful people have not replied to my PM.    I will give them a few more days but will have to drop them from consideration eventually if they cant be contacted.  I know about the people who temporarily lost internet access, they are good. 

Bob,

I sent you a PM regarding my post.  I got a PM back and hopefully I am still in the running.  Please verify.  xmaskarl@live.com

Sorry I missed your post Karl. I see it now #78.    This gift is intended for families with kids at home who desire to start a family light decorating tradition and make memories for the kids.   

The donors will discuss your request to offer a show in a low income neighborhood.   Its outside the stated purpose of this fund but we will consider it. 

LAST CALL !   Cut off 8pm cdt today. 

Several people who posted a story have not replied to my PM.   Our inability to contact you would make it very hard to offer you a scholarship.   So sorry. 

For me a lesson learned.  Next year I will ask that this topic be followed and that PMs are forwarded to your email.

I am just verifying whether or not you received my PM? I sent it shortly after you sent the request out. Thanks.