Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there any S3 DMX Moving Head Light Tutorials ?

TravisP

Hi Everyone

I have searched high and low and can not find anything (videos, documents,) etc... S3 DMX Moving Head Light Tutorials ?

On how to control the movement of a moving head fixture.

examples on how to pan left to right, tilt up and down, etc...

is there any tutorials on how to do this ?

Thank you

Travis

LOR's Hardware Utility can be used with the iDMX1000 to get your settings where you like them. Then you write the channel values down and set them in the Sequence Editor. The Advanced version has DMX support and you can set the pan, tilt and all the other parameters to exact values.

The Hardware Utility (right now) only supports the iDMX1000 and will not work with other vendor's DMX units. This might change in the future.

For playing with your DMX settings using non-LOR DMX units, see Stage Console, a free app that runs OK.

• 1 month later...

Ok !

After many long hours searching for a Tutorial on programming DMX Moving Yoke Fixtures, I still have not found anything.

I have searched the LOR Help files and still came up with nothing.

I can't seem to figure this out.

Any one here, if you could put together a LOR tutorial on how to program these kind of lights using LOR I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Travis

P.S. I have been looking at Chauvet's ShowExpress as an alternitive.

I does run on a timeline like LOR and also has the ability to use a line in for audio plus has a moving head scene generator, I just don't know how I wold use the two software programs (LOR with ShowExpress) together.

Edited by TravisP

Showexpress may be overklill for a $500 package. I have several DJ packages but I don't use those for LOR shows; I use S3.

I've been programming these moving lights (and smart lights in general) for several years and maybe it's time I put out a video myself.

Using S3 and the LOR iDMX1000, you can make these lights sing and dance to your heart's delight.

For a little background, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_head

Each light has a "personality", called different names, like profiles, attributes or whatever the software types call them.

Look up the channel characteristics of your lights to see what the different channels do. They try them out in the Hardware Utility to see where you want them pointed and what color they should be. Write these numbers down on paper so you know the range of travel for your display. Them work these into your sequencing (big topic here).

You must have the Advanced license of S3 to control DMX stuff.

What lighting fixtures do you have, or are thinking of getting?

Showexpress may be overklill for a $500 package. I have several DJ packages but I don't use those for LOR shows; I use S3.

I've been programming these moving lights (and smart lights in general) for several years and maybe it's time I put out a video myself.

Using S3 and the LOR iDMX1000, you can make these lights sing and dance to your heart's delight.

For a little background, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_head

Each light has a "personality", called different names, like profiles, attributes or whatever the software types call them.

Look up the channel characteristics of your lights to see what the different channels do. They try them out in the Hardware Utility to see where you want them pointed and what color they should be. Write these numbers down on paper so you know the range of travel for your display. Them work these into your sequencing (big topic here).

You must have the Advanced license of S3 to control DMX stuff.

What lighting fixtures do you have, or are thinking of getting?

Ken I'm looking at getting two of these. http://www.kpodj.com/blizzard-lighting-torrent-f3-p-102984/ for $796.08

And two of these http://www.kpodj.com/blizzard-lighting-blade-rgbw-p-103086/ for $513.48

Ken

That would be awsome if you could put up some of your videos so I can see your yoke lights in action.

Could you maybe do a small tutorial explaining how they are programed into S3 ?

Thank  You for your help.

Those are excellent lights, but the second model has a beam spread of 1.1 degrees. Adding an extrernal difusser gives you a better spread, but that's still a pretty narrow beam. Are you looking at some color washes or spotlighting certain items? Or audience blinders?

Were you planning on putting them in your yard, on the roof or where? If outside, they may need a weatherproof enclosure.

I'm looking into creating an online tutorial on programming moving lights in S3; just trying to work it into my schedule.

And getting the right software for screen captures.

Those are excellent lights, but the second model has a beam spread of 1.1 degrees. Adding an extrernal difusser gives you a better spread, but that's still a pretty narrow beam. Are you looking at some color washes or spotlighting certain items? Or audience blinders?

Were you planning on putting them in your yard, on the roof or where? If outside, they may need a weatherproof enclosure.

I'm looking into creating an online tutorial on programming moving lights in S3; just trying to work it into my schedule.

Ken

The second light comes with a defuser. Here is the manufacture link to the specs on that light http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/blade-rgbw

My plan was to put both the wash lights and the spot lights on my roof to wash and gobo project on trees directly behind my house and light up some ares of my yard at times and arial effects with the assistence of a smoke hazer.

There are a couple of songs I want to do the classic audience blinder scenes were they start out poited down then sweep upward..

The audience viewing distance is only 75 feet.

Here is a photo.

House-Panorama-View-2.jpg?et=2dDSMWDsLUl

• 3 months later...

Ken,

Have you by chance gotten around to putting together a tutorial on programming moving yoke lights in S3 yet ?

Since I started this thread some time ago, I am still having problems wrapping my head around this.

Ken,

Have you by chance gotten around to putting together a tutorial on programming moving yoke lights in S3 yet ?

Since I started this thread some time ago, I am still having problems wrapping my head around this.

I started; I have some great tutorial software for screen capture videos and inserting stills later on, but just finished graduations and finishing up some DMX stuff for the state fair.

Assuming you have a LOR iDMX1000:

Use the Hardware Utility to position the lights where you want them and write the DMX or channel values down for all the points you want to hit.

Then in S3, set your starting values and ending values only; use the Fill option and click in between them. It will cause a smooth movement.

Set your additional values and Fill between them also.

If you have another usb DMX unit: (should be Enttec Pro compatible)

Use the Enttec Pro website and get their test utility. Set the starting and ending points and write them down. Repeat as above.

The channel values can be 0-100 or 0-255, whichever works well for you. Most DMX units like the 0-255 value though.

Don't forget to have the channels up for brightness, iris, color, etc.

Video will come as soon as I finish the DMX and LED stuff for the fair.

• The topic was locked