Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you hang or attach the lights

CanYouHearUmNow

I'd like to see if anybody's puts up the lights using Hot Melt Glue, yes one bulb at a time, Times 3 or 4000 lights........I'v been doing it this way for 19 years now. When you just got to have every light perfectly in line, straight and in the right place.

Each bulb gets a pea size dab of glue and quickly set into place, hold for 5 seconds, then go to the next. Note, the colder it is, the quicker you have to work......Works great on stucco, or when decorating that rental house, no nail holes here. As if LOR is not extreme enough, This must be the ultimate. And yes, Even on the palm fronds, each must be lined up in a row, going the same way.....

post-10841-0-65829700-1355323740_thumb.j

I'm surprised you have time to post anything here... :P

he has time b/c that picture looks like it was taken in the 80's.

Use old picture....save time to post later. :lol:

I use hot glue only on the arch way where i have brick. frames are built everywhere else.

I'll live with my small screws and plastic 1/4" cable clamps for hanging my lights. If they don't all hang the same direction, I don't find that a big display breaker. But dat's me! :P

I'm really surprised the OP uses hot glue IN Florida! I tried that once and it got so hot the glue dissolved and made a bigger mess than a small screw hole that could be covered with plastic wood and painted over to hide it.

Not to mention the items fell down when the glue melted in the HOT Florida sun! Won't ever try that one again.

Edited by Orville

I'll play along. How about clips every 4 inches all over the entire house?

39511810100680585164001.jpg

72130101006819019850811.jpg

Edited by harrison0550

Take your RGB LED strips, stuff them into PEX (aka Sharkbite) tubing and put them into broom clips already mounted on your fascia board.

This was a long topic of discussion a few months back and several members had their display outlines up in a few hours.

No glue, tho.

If you are doing C7 OR C9...Big fan of the light clip strip, used it on everything with the house this year, hope to actuall post a video this year, the level of straightness can not be overlooked when framing a house, window, ridge, etc...i didnt use thme on the roof and gutters last year, just windows and garage, and that was one of the big things that people complimented on...and not that expensive

My lights C7 green and blue strings and the icicles blue and white strings and zip tie to 3/4 pvc tubng (made to lenght for soffits). Just go out and hang in minutes using eye hook and S hooks and I'm done.

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

How do you do that! I would go nuts within about 4 bulbs. As well how does it hold up your in Florida, its hot, then cold, the stormy, then hot!

All of my lights are on PVC frames, those frames hold the lights straight, easy to mount on the house with minimal work. Zip tied to some 3m sticky pads.

Edited by GoofyGuy

he has time b/c that picture looks like it was taken in the 80's.

Use old picture....save time to post later. :lol:

I use hot glue only on the arch way where i have brick. frames are built everywhere else.

just posted pic and video of current house, took about a week - 8 hours a day

Edited by CanYouHearUmNow

How do you do that! I would go nuts within about 4 bulbs. As well how does it hold up your in Florida, its hot, then cold, the stormy, then hot!

All of my lights are on PVC frames, those frames hold the lights straight, easy to mount on the house with minimal work. Zip tied to some 3m sticky pads.

I'm thinking of doing that next year so that I can spend less time on the ladder. What 3m sticky pads are you referring too? Do you have pictures? I ran into issues this year with the weight of my C9 styled icicle lights and abandoned them.

It's a great idea. But 8 hours a day for a week seems like an eternity. Of course it's warm down there. Don't know if this idea would work up here in Michigan. Does the glue break loose from the bulbs when you take them down?

I use these on the flat areas that are steel or smooth painted wood.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292684-1781-45-1MBNL_0__?productId=3128403&Ntt=zip+tie&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dzip%2Btie&facetInfo=

They have all held up very well this year and last. I do use the center screw on the big windows but the small shutters that are 15 inchesx40 inches with lights and cable on them they hold fine.

For the rest that have stucco or not perfect mating surfaces I used these

http://www.lowes.com/pd_121865-98-17026CLR_0__?productId=3689446&Ntt=3m+hook&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D3m%2Bhook&facetInfo=

I will use 1 every 4-5 inches. They dont have thick tape so they cant really get a full grip, but they do not let loose. Again the area is prepped for the tape by cleaning and drying the area first. They have done great this year as well.

• 4 weeks later...

The glue will break off the lights or the house, then you remove from the other, this year or when putting up next year...

Removal works best in cold, kind of hard to do here in Florida, mornings are the best here cause warm/soft glue likes to stick to them house.

When you put up just use as little as needed, small dot will work, also good for sealing the ends of the plugs......

• The topic was locked