Light-O-Rama Forums

Well I just lost everything!

Jason Burge

We had some thunderstorms today and when I got home I expected a mess but not what I saw...... My biggest tree has been hit by lightning and ALL of my Light-O-Rama, my new computer with dual monitors, and some tv's are FRIED!!! This is just devastating, I feel sick to my stomach. Of course things could have been much worse, the house is fine and I am very thankful for that. I never thought anything like this would ever happen.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason Burge

• scubado

• Karenwatt

• harrison0550

sorry for your bad luck, If it makes you feel better my Ford slipped a gear or something friday night rolled of the bank missing all the decorations and nose dived into a 6 foot ditch , truck has been hauled to the shop for repairestamate or writtin off as a loss. Maybe your home owners will cover your loss dosn't help now but next year it may

Dang Jason - That SUCKS BIG TIME!

Really sorry to hear about that. Hopefully your homeowners insurance (or renters if you rent) will cover at least part of it. Really glad that there was no damage to your house. It could have been far worse.

Thanks guys. I have called my insurance agent and he is sending a claims adjuster tomorrow. I am just really bummed out! It took me five years to build up to where I was and I was very happy with this years setup. 3 ccrs , 4 16pc's, 3 ctbd's, 2 cmb's and a lot of ext. cords and lights. They died an ugly death!(and they all stink like sh** now)

Don't forget about LOR's impressive warranty:

Unconditional Lifetime Replacement Policy:

Regardless of current end user, any Light-O-Rama hardware device that fails for any reason (e.g. eaten by dog, no longer like color) can be replaced with the same or current equivalent unit for 60% of the current list price of the new unit. The end-user is responsible for shipping the old unit back to Light-O-Rama and for the shipping costs of the new unit. In the event that there is no current equivalent for an Light-O-Rama device, Light-O-Rama will make every attempt to work something equitable out. Light-O-Rama will also honor this policy for any other manufacturer’s device for which we currently have a comparable device.http://www.lightorama.com/Warranty.html

I don't mean to make light of your situation. I agree - it sucks and it couldn't ever come at a good time of year. We all know how much work is involved and how much it hurts.

But if things smell like sh**, there's an outside chance it wasn't lightning. Lightning strikes don't smell like that. Sounds like your place might have been attacked by cows with diarrhea...

That really stinks. Keep in mind everything is replaceable. While getting things back in order won't be fun, things could have been much worse. Could have easily been a house fire, too.

Do you have a good copy of your sequences? I was always wondering what would happen if a mega-tree got hit, guess this pretty much answers the question.

Lightning can be nasty. My dads house has a huge oak tree in the yard which took a direct hit. You can see how the arch traveled down the tree to the ground. It blew a 4 foot deep hole into the ground next to the tree. At the same time, took out his water pump, AC system, and blew all of the outside receptacles clean off the house. Not dangling by wires, they were gone!

Hope the insurance handles the mess and sorry to hear about it. It takes a long time to build up what you had and I hope this does not discourage you to keep adding.

Do you have a good copy of your sequences?

Yes, but it was all on a thumb drive plugged into the computer that got zapped so hopefully it will be fine.

I was always wondering what would happen if a mega-tree got hit, guess this pretty much answers the question.

The tree that got hit was a 100'+ pine tree, but a tall mega tree would be a great target.(my "mega" is a 10')

Apparently cat5 carries a lightning strike very well because that is the common link between all the damage, except for the tv's.

I would hurry up and test the thumb drive. Hopefully the power supply took the hit and your hard drive is ok.

I used to have an older lady from work in another state as a penpal. She left the company, but we kept in touch. They had gotten hit by lightning and lost all electrical appliances. I haven't been able to reastablish contact sinse.

Best of luck!

this is a reason I keep my sequences on Dropbox (31Gb), I live in a flood prone area and in 2004 I was at work in Pittsburgh and I live in Wheeling, 60 mile drive and by the time I got home 2 of my computers were underwater and the funny thing was since the power supplies are on a high tower case they were out of the water, but the hard drives were underwater and I could see the power light still on, underwater

this is a reason I keep my sequences on Dropbox (31Gb)

I was just talking with a co-worker yesterday about doing an online or cloud backup.... hopefully the thumb drive is ok, of course it will be for next year if there is one for me with LOR. HOPEFULLY!

Thanks for all the comments and concern. It really means a lot when your down in the dumps!

So sorry to hear, that really stinks. We got hit years ago before I got into LOR. I highly suggest you open up a dropbox account to save all your sequences to. Its free will keep all your sequences safe from crashing, my family messing up my pc, or anything else. My main sequencing hard drive crashed this summer and I lost a few things but had most on flash drives as well. Now I just have it backup my LOR files daily so I never have to sweat it again. Again sorry to hear about your trouble. Hopefully you will get everything back up and running.

Good luck and like others have said everything is replaceable as long as nobody was hurt.

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Sign up for free! http://db.tt/nQflKVNk

Edited by harrison0550

So sorry Jason. Sucks! I can relate a little bit. My house was hit in 2004 I think. Lost phones, tv, both garage door openers, fans, answering machine, disc players.

It blew a small hole in roof, wall, window shades, and broke two mirrors while peeling the silver off or them. Left debris all over my bed. Wasnt in it at the time.

I was not doing LOR then but that would really suck to lose all that! I hope you can recover from this mess soon.

That royally sucks Jason. Just glad everyone came out okay and that your house was fine. It's one reason I'm sort of glad I don't have any tall or large trees around my home. Hopefully your insurance will cover everything you lost in the strike.

Good Luck with everything, I wish you the best in getting up and operating your display again.

Lord knows it wont ease any of your current pain but it could of been a whole lot worse for sure. Here is my last run in with mother nature a few years ago. Its like she targeted all my expensive stuff. My truck, boat, swimming pool, deck, even my grill! Mother nature dont mess around!

truck1e.jpg