Light-O-Rama Forums

Video taping the show

jpohio

This year will be my first year for animation. I have since, purchased a FM transmitter from Marty S. (thank you), and lights - but not nearly enough - need more :D, extension cords & need more :D, LOR controllers & built the box to house the controllers. I got my electric panel upgraded, I got my radio sign made, and I'm building a coke sign - which isn't done yet. Sequencing... have ways to go there!
I think I have almost all the bases covered...except for one thing, video taping the show (when the time comes). I don't have a video camera :(, and my (dumb) question is... How am I going to get a video of my show? I have been doing searches here, @ PC & CC, for ideas & what other people are using + researching on the net. But for the most part, the video cameras for shooting "night video", are well beyond what my budget can handle, even used ones @ ebay!!! Any ideas???

Just because you don't have a camera that is meant for shooting night video, doesn't mean you can't video your show.

Your colors may wash out a touch, but you will be able to get video. Don't assume that everyone has a fancy camera, either. Most of the video out there is done with regular cameras.

If you look at my 2005 videos and my 2006 videos, you will see the difference a better camera can make. Is it worth going out and purchasing one? Not in my opinion. (I was able to borrow the camera I used for 2006.)

Don wrote:

Just because you don't have a camera that is meant for shooting night video, doesn't mean you can't video your show.

Your colors may wash out a touch, but you will be able to get video. Don't assume that everyone has a fancy camera, either. Most of the video out there is done with regular cameras.

If you look at my 2005 videos and my 2006 videos, you will see the difference a better camera can make. Is it worth going out and purchasing one? Not in my opinion. (I was able to borrow the camera I used for 2006.)

Don,
Thank you for the reply! As for camera's, I do have a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and I have searched the manual (many times) and found nothing for night shooting, only low light. I am watching a couple MiniDV camcorders (used) on ebay, but have not bid on anything...again, over my budget. Please pardon my ignorance, but if there is a way to get video out of my XT, I haven't found it.

evana wrote:

you can check what christmasutah. com did. he video taped his show at dusk. not the same effect as night time, but was able to capture his design and show.

That's a good point and something to remember!!!
Thanks...

I am probably going to be using my brother's Canon Powershot A540...just a normal point-and-shoot camera...and I think it looks fine...I'm not looking for professional video.

Oh, BTW, make sure you get a tripod. No shakey videos.

lkcubsrule wrote:

I am probably going to be using my brother's Canon Powershot A540...just a normal point-and-shoot camera...and I think it looks fine...I'm not looking for professional video.

I'm not looking for "professional" video either, that would be to expensive. And yes I have a tripod, but how do you get "video" from a camera that takes "still" pictures?

You can refer to your owners manual. You will look for the movie setting. It will record a video, but not the audio.

You can also use your cell phone to record a video and audio and upload it to You-tube.

Regarding cameras, there are several MiniDV styles out there. (Disclaimer: I am the worst at video editting).

When looking for a camera, look for one that will tape to a memory card. There are two types: 1CCD and 3CCD.

A 1CCD will give you adequate quality to post on You-Tube (this is what I use). You can use various input cables to copy directly from the radio to the camera, or use a mike to record from an external speaker.

Some used 1CCD cameras will sell for under $300, less than you would spend on a FM 100B Ramsey transmitter.

I would imagine you have a friend that has a camera like this that will let you borrow one.

If you don't have a camera, you must know friends or family that have one that they may let you borrow. Here are some hints for getting better video.

1 Shoot at dusk before it gets completely dark.
2 USE A TRIPOD!! No matter how steady your hand may be.
3 Set the camera to manual focus. zoom in, focus , then zoom out.
4 Set the exposure to manual and adjust it to what you think looks good.
5 Pan and zoom slowly if at all.

I was out videoing on four nights before I got some footage that I was happy enough with to send in for the DVD.

jpohio wrote:

lkcubsrule wrote:

I'm not looking for "professional" video either, that would be to expensive. And yes I have a tripod, but how do you get "video" from a camera that takes "still" pictures?

Well, a point-and-shoot camera does more than just take pictures...my brother's takes video ... 320 x 240 and 640 x 480 both @ 15 or 30fps

Also, if you don't have a tripod at the moment, what I did last year will work. I took a 6' ladder, set the camera on that, and recorded!

Agreed. A decent digital "still" camera can take pretty good video, worthy of uploading anyway. You can always easily add in the sound using Windows Movie Maker afterwards.

I second everything Brian Mitchell said

1 Dusk gives your camera more light, and lets you get great results from a less expensive model.
2 USE A TRIPOD!!
3 Set the camera to manual focus. The camera easily gets confused when the lights change or turn off.
4 Set the exposure to manual. It may take more than one attempt, but it is well worth the effort.
5 Pan and zoom slowly if at all. Shoot from different angles and cut them together afterwards if you have to.

I used a cheap FM radio next to the camera microphone to pick up the audio and it worked great.

Well, I have the tripod so that part is taken care of.
Needless to say, I am going to have to work with the options on my XT to get the best pictures. I want to thank everyone for their input, it's greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...

I suggest redubbing in the audio in the video editor after you have all your footage. There is a big difference between your radio broadcast and your direct from file audio.

marksanctuary wrote:

I suggest redubbing in the audio in the video editor after you have all your footage. There is a big difference between your radio broadcast and your direct from file audio.

Amen! I did just that and it sounded 100% better. I originally recorded it from the back of my pickup with the radio up real loud :)

My church wanted a video of the lights to use in Sunday more worship. So I spent the little extra time to dub the sound back in.

My still camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-W90) has the option for video on the mode wheel. Only thing is it will not send the audio it records to my computer, but it's not like it would sound good anyway.

Greg

I want to thank everyone for their input, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!!! To give an update...I did borrow a friends camcorder, but it's an older model that records only to a tape and I had no way to get in the computer. So, I was bad and bought a Canon ZR850 (on sale) and have been frantically playing with it trying to learn how to use it. It can record to a mini DV tape and/or memory card. I just figured out how to record from the tape to the memory card!!! But in the process, I wiped out some of the footage, soooo.....I will have to record the show again. Then download it into Moviemaker and get the audio dubbed in. Wish me luck!!!! I have never done this before and I'm flying by the seat of my pants!!! With any luck, I hope to have something on line this week.

I used my Kodak Z812 Digital Camera's movie mode... Worked good, especially when I remembered the tripod...

I asking Santa for a Panasonic HDC-SD5 ($779 on ebay) 3 ccd camcorder.. Although this may be the only thing it gets used for....

Any feedback on this camcorder?

Randall