Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Power Consumption - reducing the number of power supplies

john_s_sub

Hi all,

Just working on the final details on my 12 CCR tree. Has anybody looked at reducing the number of power supplies to run CCR controllers/strips ie 1 power supply to run three controllers/strips. Just not sure what the current draw is to determine what a suitable power suppy would be.

Thanks

I went through the "manual" sheet and didnt think to go back to the spec sheet on the site. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like I might need to spec up my power supply!

I went with two power supplies, one for each set of 6 CCRs in my CCR tree.

Each controller box is towards each side of the Tree. Allowing me to connect all the ribbons without adding extensions.

See attachment.

post-2139-0-21531600-1353702580_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The power supply is from Jameco electronics (other vendors have them too). I'll attach a link. This wattage power supply is more than enough for 6 CCR's, but probably not 12. You will need at least a 450Watt supply to run all 12. You could also get two of these power supplies and put then in the same case, each power 6 CCR's.

I just purchased some power jacks from Radio Shack, Link below.

power supply:

http://www.jameco.co...ogDrillDownView

power jacks:

http://www.radioshac...614#tabsetBasic

• 3 months later...

Electronics neophyte, and I'm way behind on things for 2013 show. But I have dreams of getting up a 12 CCR tree (maybe without a star though) this year.

I will ne careful, and consult some friends with better electronics know how than me .......but if I understand what the power supply does ......one plug into power supply and 6 CCR connections?

If I have to cut wire and add jacks ........I may opt for something different.

I already run 6 LOR 1602W's off my house and may ling two more, one each of the neighbors' houses this year. I'll have 1 or 2 20amp plug ins available for my CCR's

Be careful with the temperature range of power supplies, most are switching supplies and may not start in low temps. We have found out the hard way that in many areas -20C (-4F) is not low enough. -30C (-22F) seems to be adequate.

Yes, utb ghost.

The power supply I have pictured above has one 120V plug going to an outlet. Within the power supply box there are 6 DC connections, one for each CCR.  I have two power supply boxes for all 12 CCRs and they both plug into the same 20Amp 120V plug on the side of the building.

• Like 1

Frank-

I plan to set up my 12 CCR's similar to the way you did with two boxes using one power supply each.

Are the boxes you used the LOR boxes shows as 'Enclosure for PC Controller'?  They show an

interior space of 10.3" X 7.7" X 3.1" and show a cost of $23.95.

If not could you provide information as to what you used.

Thanks

Ken

Frank, your info is much appreciated. My neighbor is likely going to run me two (or four) 20 Amp lines to assist the light show which has (with he and his wife's ok) crept onto his lawn and maybe onto his shrubs and house this year. My neighbor on the other side may mount another one of my controllers on his house so we run 3 houses somewhat together. neighbor one is also handyman and electrically inclined, so he might also build my consolidated power supply. Neighbor two is retired AF jet mechanic (Lord I'm blessed with the right kind of neighbors).

HOWEVER, if I don't get the time and or help this fall, would running a good 6 outlet outdoor plug work for each side? Of course, I'll need a bigger weather proof box I suppose than what you used.

If all goes well, I could end up with 96 regular channels off my house, 16 of neighbor two and 5-11 off neighbor one, toss in the 12 ribbon tree ........and darn, or yea, I need to get a star in the mix, Where is your star design ... I'll be searching here for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a power supply that is capable of running 6 CCR's. That is also rated for a temp lower than -4 F.  I like the supplies Frank is using but I'm worried that -4 F might not be low enough.  And I cant seem to find any that are rated for lower temp's.

Hey Nick,

I think if you have the power supply in a sealed box, like I did. The heat that the power supply creates by running 6 CCR's will keep the box warm enough that it will not be a problem.

Last year we had a small ice storm and nothing stuck to the box because the box was too warm.  Also as a side note, the ice didn't stick to the CCR's either as the chips on them produce heat even when the LEDs are off.

• 1 year later...

Hi Frank, just came across your thread, I'm doing 12 CCR's this year and really want to do the one power supply per bank of 6. What electrical cable did you run from the PSU to the CCR control box? I have the male power connector but wanted to check how you did it.

Cheers

Roger

Australia

PS: I have a temperature issue being to high...lol

• 3 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2013 at 8:02 AM, Frank Farmer said:

The power supply is from Jameco electronics (other vendors have them too). I'll attach a link. This wattage power supply is more than enough for 6 CCR's, but probably not 12. You will need at least a 450Watt supply to run all 12. You could also get two of these power supplies and put then in the same case, each power 6 CCR's.

I just purchased some power jacks from Radio Shack, Link below.

power supply:

http://www.jameco.co...ogDrillDownView

power jacks:

http://www.radioshac...614#tabsetBasic

Frank, do you have another source for the power jacks ? Radio Shack link is no good.

7 minutes ago, Larry Leonhardt said:

Frank, do you have another source for the power jacks ? Radio Shack link is no good.

This thread is five years old and Frank hasn't been on here for a year and a half.

• The topic was locked