Light-O-Rama Forums

Extention Cords

MattCole

I have my new controllers on the way from the sale. Now I have to be able to convince the wife that I need to spend more $$$ on the cords and additional lights. Where do all of you find your good deals on bulk cords for both the controllers and for the multitude of extension cords requried for the display? Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Cummins Tool, Ebay, Online. Were do you find the best bulk deals?

Thanks,

Matt

I started making my own cords using portable cord that I bought at home depot and female cord ends that I found on clearance at home depot for $.99. The price of copper has increased so finding good deals on extension cords has gotten allot harder in my area. I think most people who use LOR are constantly on the hunt for good deals for cords and I know of many people who buy there cords throughout the year when they find good deals. My advice is, anytime you are in a store that sells extension cords check their prices. Maybe even keep a running tab of what store sells what length and gauge cords so you can compare.

Edit: I forgot to mention that some people use spt2 cord. I'm not sure where the best place is to buy it becuase I dont use it but I'm sure someone will suggest it.

Tim is right, making them yourself is handy, and can come in very convenient at times. Keep in mind that copper prices are going up, so your going to pay more than you did in the past.

I bought my cords in 2005 at Big Lot's here in the Dallas area. Bought a few a week until I had what I needed. For the connections from the controllers to the outlet, I bought 40' cords for $4.44. (Wow, those were the days, huh?)

Action Lighting a good place to get some SPT2 wire and connectors that Tim mentioned. There are other places as well, not just Action.

I buy the green 50'ers at Home Depot or Lowes. They seem to do well, can handle a good load, and do not cost too much.

The key is to get them on sale (about 2 or 3 times a year) and stock up.

ive been getting mine at the flea market...im getting 5 50' for $5 each every weekend so ill have MORE than needed for this year...including what i got today that will be 85 50' cords plus what i already have

Don is right. I bought my 14/2 50' cords that will connect the controllers to the outlets at Lowes. They had a great sale on them about 2 weeks ago. They were only 6.99. As everyone said, the price of copper is going up, so I don't know if you will find a better price then that. I haven't checked at Lowes in a while to see the price, so I am not sure what it has gone up to. Connecting the parts of my display to the controllers I use indoor cords with the 3 outlets on the end. Works well.

Greg

evana wrote:

matt, it's $5 each. I've been buying them for the same price. even the same flea market.

you never told me you were going there! you must have went this saturday before me and cleaned them out...i only got 3 50' and 2 100' cuz thats all that was left...SOB lol

evana wrote:

matt, it's $5 each. I've been buying them for the same price. even the same flea market.

Ok I don't feel as bad now... Now I just have to find the $1 ones to make my deal work...;);)

evana wrote:

only cause I didn't bring more money:P
you owe me 3 50' cords...there were only TWO left at the vendors with their stuff out in boxes (the other 50' and 2 100' i got at one of the garage sale vendors)...ill be by tulip this week to pick them up...get up nice and early next saturday...cuz im hitting the flea market first thing before i hit the garage sales...dont want you driving 35 minutes for nothing LOL

BTW...NA NA NA NA....NA NA NA NA....HEY HEY HEY...GOODBYE
(charlie HAHAHAHAHAHA)