Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB pixels in visualizer are painful.... :)

n_gifford

Mike, I'd like to beg for a better alternative! I decided to purchase Superstar, and HAVE to use the Visualizer. I'm not big on previews, as I'd much rather utilize actual hardware for testing but I have to build my visualizations now regardless. The process is easy enough, just painful adding each fixture one at a time.

So, not really complaining because it works perfectly fine, just wondering if there are improvements coming down the pipeline for those of us that insist on being different?

The Visualizer really is a great tool though, and I think you guys have done an awesome job with it!

New tools for Pixels are on the wishlist, but they have not yet been approved.

CCRs work well though :)

Ha! I can't say I didn't see that coming! Thanks for the response, as it's good to know that you guys are thinking about us even if we may be on the back burner. Just like any other things that you guys have helped me through, there is a work around for everything! I'm more than happy to accept S3 as is for now, since it officially supports my hardware of choice without additional hardware to convert data.

Just like I told Brian earlier, if you ever need a beta tester, feel free to keep me in mind. I have the brains of my display installed in my garage to allow testing any time of year relatively easily.

Also really loooking for better LOR support for Pixels. Can't use Superstar (since no support for the correct pixel count and proper universe numbers). Take a look at Nutcracker (learning now and finding really good uses).

Also really loooking for better LOR support for Pixels. Can't use Superstar (since no support for the correct pixel count and proper universe numbers). Take a look at Nutcracker (learning now and finding really good uses).

I agree and disagree. Superstar doesn't support all of my pixels at once (3,600 channels supported and I currently have ~4,500), but I'm able to break up elements of my display and sequence them separately. Not ideal, but still faster than sequencing them manually with a lot of cool effects.

I've played with Nutcracker extensively. While Sean has done an amazing job with it, it still does not compare to Superstar! Obviously, there's a big price difference as well, and Sean does it as a hobby, but I think you get my point. Nutcracker provides amazing effects, but does not provide real time preview of those effects. On top of that, Superstar can act as a stand alone sequencer for multiple effects, where Nutcracker can't. Plus, you can't forget "Instant sequence"!

Hmm, just found this thread. I was just asking about SuperStar in another thread...

Sounds like even if it directly supported generic pixels, I'd still be in trouble as my mega tree itself has 4608 channels in it. And that's a single element so I can't break it up.

As I said in the other thread - I know you guys want to keep special support for LOR-endorsed products, but I'm sure there's a lot of folks like me with money to spend on Superstar *if* it supported what they were using.

• Like 1

Hmm, just found this thread. I was just asking about SuperStar in another thread...

Sounds like even if it directly supported generic pixels, I'd still be in trouble as my mega tree itself has 4608 channels in it. And that's a single element so I can't break it up.

As I said in the other thread - I know you guys want to keep special support for LOR-endorsed products, but I'm sure there's a lot of folks like me with money to spend on Superstar *if* it supported what they were using.

I agree 100% on that one! I'm extremely happy with Superstar so far, but I'm able to work around the 3,600 channel limit. My tree has just over 1,500 channels, so I'm sequencing that separately. The rest of my display has about 3,000 channels and I'm able to combine all of that together. If the channel limit doesn't increase though, I will probably be screwed next year!

Wasn't this a topic about RGB pixels in the visualizer though?..... :)

Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast........

I agree with that. I've never been big on previews because I can usually imagine what things are going to look like or I test with real lights. But, since I'm building them to use with superstar, I will definitely be using them from now on because it is an awesome tool!

Single pixels are OK to build, But when we have to input a whole universe 170 pixels to memic our RGB strips/strings, thats when the time gets to be an issue. Even the copy paste saves a little time but you still have to go in and change the properties for the correct universe and channels.

Thanks Mike for letting us know it is on the wish list.

Lee

Single pixels are OK to build, But when we have to input a whole universe 170 pixels to memic our RGB strips/strings, thats when the time gets to be an issue. Even the copy paste saves a little time but you still have to go in and change the properties for the correct universe and channels.

Thanks Mike for letting us know it is on the wish list.

Lee

I'm definitely not saying that it's difficult by any means, just tedious and time consuming. What I've done to speed up the process though, since most of my effects are in straight lines, is create a single prop with 25 fixtures that I can utilize as needed. The channel wizard is a huge help with this, and actually makes the process somewhat bearable!

With that said, I'd be happy to share some props if anybody is looking for RGB pixel props to help save some time. My longest run is 141 pixels, and I could quickly and easily chop that up into smaller pieces if needed. Again, mostly straight lines, but I'm working on my arches right now and should have them done today. Each arch has 54 pixels on it.

I agree, Time consuming! But as you stated once the first 50 pixels are arranged in a somewhat straight line I just made the set a prop then used the channel wizard to complete. The from there it was copy and paste and rerun the channel wizard for each new strip. Building my mega tree took some time. I hope I don't have to move it. I haven't found a way to make 12 props into a new prop for easy moving.

Thanks for the offer on the props, I have some now also. After New Years I may just build a bunch of different RGB props to create a library to share.

Lee

Hi. My name is Sully & I am 70 years old. I am in Lake Arthur, Louisiana. I started in LOR last year(2011) & this year I jumped into RGB Pixels strips. 25 of them (may be a big mistake- LOL).

I seem to be either dumb or very very slow to get my mind into the visualizer when trying to make my drawings for pixels.

I have 13 decorations that are all exactly the same. Each one has 22 pixels on it (66 Channels). I have one more decoration that is 50 pixels (150 channels). I made 12 of these.

I have not been able to draw any of these in the visualizer by any method I have tried.

Is it possible to get any props that are as close to these as possible from anyone. I fear I will not have a display this year without some help on this item.

I would be very thankful for any thing you can send me.

Thanks for you consideration,

Sully Onellion

sully@onellion.us

Hey Sully, I sent you an email with a couple of props. One with 22 pixels and one with 50 pixels. I hope they help! Let me know if you need anything else.

I too have been struggling with the dmx pixel setup in visualizer. My CCR tree of course was no problem. Now I've got a Horizontal grid with other 12 strips, 50 pixels, each with it's own DMX universe. Not enough time to draw out each line with individual bulbs. If you've got a prop like this, that would make my day!

I too have been struggling with the dmx pixel setup in visualizer. My CCR tree of course was no problem. Now I've got a Horizontal grid with other 12 strips, 50 pixels, each with it's own DMX universe. Not enough time to draw out each line with individual bulbs. If you've got a prop like this, that would make my day!

Here's my simple 50 pixel prop. It's not the prettiest, but it'll get the job done. Import it, stretch it, skew it, rotate to your heart's content. Add 12 of them to make up your matrix, then run the channel wizard with each to map your channels.

http://dl.dropbox.co...ixel string.lpf

Edit: Right click and select "save link as", or something similar (I'm using Chrome). It's a direct download, but it appears to just display the code if you left click on it.

Edited by n_gifford

Randall,

Did you do your mega tree in CCR's?

No. I did finish redoing the Megatree. Instead of 64 strands of clear/multi and 64 of red/green, I redid them to be 64 of red/green/clear. I also create a single pigtail with 6pin 'molex' male connectors, with the 16 ch X 4 female connectors on panels just below them. Also added 1/2 string of 100ct mini's to each of the colors. Ended up taking more than 100 hours to complete....

As for the pixel strips- I've added a pixel tree with 12 LOR CCR's and Superstar 6ch star, plus built a 12 strip horizontal grid thats above the center of porch.

The 'floods' were replace with several 5meter WS2811 strips under the eve's. The two main windows and 4 columns are also retrofited with the WS2811 strips.

The initial responses from everyone is 'wow- those are bright'

Here's my simple 50 pixel prop. It's not the prettiest, but it'll get the job done. Import it, stretch it, skew it, rotate to your heart's content. Add 12 of them to make up your matrix, then run the channel wizard with each to map your channels.

http://dl.dropbox.co...ixel string.lpf

Edit: Right click and select "save link as", or something similar (I'm using Chrome). It's a direct download, but it appears to just display the code if you left click on it.

Thanks a bunch!!!.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I can't edit the original post with this link.  I forgot that I posted the link for my 50 pixel prop, then I cleaned out the public folder in my Dropbox account.  After a few requests for the prop from people that have read this thread, I've re-uploaded the prop.

Here's a good link for the same, simple 50 pixel prop:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32004946/50pixel%20string.lpf

Same as before, right click and select "save as".  Good luck!

Edited by n_gifford

I have been trying to play around with RGB pixel props, but must be missing something. I know I can use the wizard to change channel number en masse in the Visualizer, but how do I get those channels set up in the Sequencer? Surely the way I'm doing it, one pixel at a time, is not the best way.

I have been trying to play around with RGB pixel props, but must be missing something. I know I can use the wizard to change channel number en masse in the Visualizer, but how do I get those channels set up in the Sequencer? Surely the way I'm doing it, one pixel at a time, is not the best way.

There is a better way.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3636.msg31166.html#msg31166

I believe this is the Video link I'm at work so i can't be sure. (Can't even open a video at work). harrison0550, Did a video on setting up RGB Channels in LOR  Sequencer IF this link is not corect I believe it's a vimeo Account the video's are on also he has a video on setting up a P2r using E1.31. Hope this helps

• Like 1