Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing CCRs the old-fashioned way

marsh28

I plan on using about 20 CCRs in 2014 and have begun to experiment with sequencing them in S3 by simply using the old visualizer and drawing each pixel. Although initially arduous, I've found that the sequencing really doesn't take all that long and really only requires a lot of cutting and pasting.

Is there any need to start using Superstar? I've messed with it a bit and it does NOT seem user friendly.

As with any software, including the Sequence Editor (SE), there is a learning curve to the Superstar Sequence Editor (SSE).

Does one *need* the SSE to program CCR's? Nope. People did so without the SSE before it came along. Some of the effects you can do with the SSE though would take hours (upon hours) to draw out in the SE. The SSE is a very handy program, but is not something that everyone will need.

So I guess you'd recommend I use Superstar considering I'll be using quite a few CCRs?

I would. At first purchase, I thought I had just wasted my money. I bought one of Brian's 2 ccr sequences and studied it, well. I then had the "Aha" moment and away I went. It does take a extra time to add that on top of your normal SE sequencing, But in my short experience I welcomed the little extra time as opposed to using the SE for 400 pixels and 42 more rainbow pixels. In my humble opinion, it's well worth the extra $$$.

Ron

How well does SuperStar support arbitrary RGB pixels, vs CCRs/CCPs/CCBs? I'd be interested in it (and gladly buy it) if it would help me out... this would be for 2013.

Last I heard, it was pretty LOR-product-centric, but interested in other opinions.

Tim,

Haven't tested this specific theory out, but based on past usage, I think it would work. If you create a Viz and import it into the SSE, you can sequence effects from there. You'd pick the starting point, end point, etc., just like you would with CCR's, etc.

Tim, I used it to sequence my Rainbow Pixel Arches. They are DMX based. As Don said, just create a visualization and import the .lee file in, and then sequence away.

Tim, I used it to sequence my Rainbow Pixel Arches. They are DMX based. As Don said, just create a visualization and import the .lee file in, and then sequence away.

OK, I'm not using the visualizer yet either. I was under the impression that you had to draw non-CCB pixels in one by one. With 1536 pixels that ain't gonna happen. Is there a way to add an arbitrary pixel string in the visualizer (and thus Superstar) now? This year I cheated and had a Python script generate me the XML for the (old) animation view which is how I'm sequencing it this year...

Well with over 1500 pixels, I see where your coming from. The RPs are only 42 pixels. On a side note, if its drawn out the channel wizard works for the pixel strings. I know that doesn't help your situation. Sorry I couldn't help

Edited by Ron Boyd

Sorry I couldn't help

You helped by telling me the state of the current software. I hope they'll add some tools/wizards/etc for arbitrary pixels. I know they want to promote their own products and that's understandable, but they can also make money from people like me who won't buy SS unless it has better generic pixel support...

"New tools for Pixels are on the wishlist, but they have not yet been approved."

I just read this quote from DevMike.

Thanks for the info. I shall anxiously await their approval...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Don,

Just curious how much time you think is saved by using SSE vs SE for multiple CCRs once you overcome the learning curve. I'm in the same boat with 9 CCRs spanning my rooflines. Bad thing is I have RGB dumb strips that I'm not sure what to do with when the CCRs are going crazy as they can only turn on/off, change intensity/color....

I created a 1.5 minute song in about 1 hour, 600 pixels. Watch all the tutorials, it is actually really easy to use and you are only limited by your imagination. It is my hope to only have pixels over the next few years and honestly I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

• The topic was locked