Light-O-Rama Forums

GE Color Effects

mopar-mechanic

Newbie DMX questions

I am interested in modding the GE color effects 40' light string from costco, from what I understand the LOR software supports E1.31 now and I no longer require the purchase of the ELOR from scan devices, using the E680 or E682 is all the is required now. A little confused at the moment and am not expecting to complete the mod this season, however if it is possible and has been done successfully I will purchase some strings this year and mod them over the off season. Still not 100% confident with DMX controls etc. but I feel I can accomplish the task with some learning and research. Any ideas are welcome and feel free to post similar mods and setups.

I am currently running the CTB16PC controllers and have 2

I havent purchased any dongles or DMX controllers as I am unsure of what the E1.31 interfacing will require at this time.

Thanks for all your input and happy lighting to all

There are a lot of folks who are using the E68x and those lights. I'm not one of them, but I am using the E681 myself, and know that it has a mode to support these.

I am not exactly the expert her, but I think I can answer this one. Using a E682 from SanDevices will interface with your computer on a LAN. The E682 will (as I understand it), directly drive the GE Color Effects strings. Never tried that one however as although I have an E682, I will be using it with WS2811 strings. However the E682 does have an option to drive the GECE strings in it's setup.

Have you found the GECE available at Costco this year? They were readily available last year but I haven't found them at Costco this year. They have an inventory item number and price but no product. The management at two local stores told me that no stock was showing up in any of the stores or distribution centers. Then in mid-October I was told that the Costco item number was marked as discontinued.

If you find them in a Costco I would really like to know which one(s) as I would like some more of them myself. They are large and really make an impression.

I have found that only lowes in my area are carrying them this year and they are now 25ct instead of 36ct

Last year Home Depot, Walmart and several other places carried them but they are now online and outrageously expensive $100 for one sent that last year cost 50

I'd love to get several more sets my self but I will wait till after Christmas I have close to 1000 bulbs this year that I bought last year after Christmas

My costco has TONS of the GECE 50 light strings. I bought 10 and may well go back for 6 more to round out the ports on my e682 :)

One thing I would like to do is make a male/female connector for the light strings (or a tap) so I can use them with the stock power/controller at times.

Anyone know where to get such a thing that is affordable?

Brian

My Costco has 2 full pallets in stock just bought 4 more yesterday. Can work something out to ship some...

As for the connectors check out MCM Electronics, they sell all kinds of fantastic connectors

Thank you for the information Brian. I had given up. I just called several Costcos - the GECEs are "not in any stores in their southeast region". But it is good to know that they DO have them in some stores (CA, TX, NJ) - guess I'll have to use my "phone a friend". :)

Seasonal Entertainment's C9-sized Rainbow Pixels are very nice alternates, and they run on 12 volts. You can use E68X controllers as well. You don't need Seasonal's pixel controller if you prefer to get higher pixel density on a single controller board like the E68X.

awesome info, much appreciate the knowledge, my local Costco has pallets of the 50 string lights and I am picking up a few boxes, i will order the e68x and play around with the system. I will look for Steve Lelinski's PDF and read up some more, if(ahem...when) this works I will post my progress and success.

Cheers from the North

Tried to join the Holiday University site to provide the link to the document mentioned, but I don't seem to live up to the standards of their membership requirements... Thank you Lord!

Jeff

Jeff .. I now offer to you the always popular and forever classic .... neener neener ..

They let me in first rattle out of the box .. However sandra and I had to both take our shoes off to add 19 + 18 for the Anti-Span thing...

HEH HEH HEH ...

Bob

Tried to join the Holiday University site to provide the link to the document mentioned, but I don't seem to live up to the standards of their membership requirements... Thank you Lord!

Jeff, last I heard the admins weren't getting notifications for new menbership requests. I'll let them know you wanted in - I can't imagine anyone is trying to keep you out.

The place is pretty dead though - I only check it about once a month and there are usually only a few threads. Too bad, as it had a promising start.

Edit: I just pinged one of the admins - they went to approve you but evidently you were already approved.

Edited by Tim Fischer

I try going to the Holiday Unversity site to get the link and I getting a server error message now. Will try again tonight.

Thomas

My costco has TONS of the GECE 50 light strings. I bought 10 and may well go back for 6 more to round out the ports on my e682 :)

Brian

What are the price for these strand you purchased ? Please and thanks

Chris

Hey Christopher, for the 50ct at Costco in Springdale, OH. they were between $60 or $65 a set.

I thought they were $60, my daughter told me they were $64.95. Hope that helps.

I'm not a Costco member, so does anyone know if Costco will mark these down after Christmas or just send them back.

Thanks, for any info.