Light-O-Rama Forums

OK! This shouldn't be this @#$% hard!

David Barnett

All right folks. I trying to do what I think shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. I have brought this up before, and BobO tried to help.

I have revisited his thread to try and get this done, but it just isn't happening..it looks like crud!

Anybody that is/has used Macro maestro; perhaps you can help. I have bothered Bob enough.

What I am trying to accomplish is a VU or level meter type effect on my CCR arches.

When the beat hits it will start arcing into the green band, then yellow to finally red at it's peak. Then fade back down to green and hover there till dropping off.(0)

Bob O gave me some instructions on using MM to achieve this, but it just isn't wotking right for me.

Here is Bob O's response to me in that thread from last year:

Unless you have a value in macro mode, the pixels will show as if you were doing normal sequencing. This may result in a flash of unintended color.

all rgbs off, set the macro mode,

set the resolution (usually 1 for macros) and RBGs

set the macro sub mode and effect.

If I understood your idea, you want macro mode 9 or 10. I tried it with 10 and it worked ok. Using res 50 with G17, Y3 and R5. Then copied to lower 25.

Note the range is 0 to 50 for this macro mode.

He also linked to a vid example. Well, I am confused; because I was under the impression that the RGB channels except 1, had to be empty. Yet the vid shows all 50 channels colored?

Of course, it worked great for Bob. It's easy when you right the darn thing. Me...not so much.

Tried using some chase stuff with a flipped clipbaord thingy...looks like CR?P!

So, before I give up on this quest, could someone that has/is using macro maestro, give me a step by step on this. Once I do it a couple of times, I can usually get it.

As I have said. I feel Bob O has gone above and beyond for me, I don't want to bother him and take up his valuable time.

Any Help appreciated folks.

Best,

David

I'm sure if you ask bob he would do what you need and send it to you,,,,then you can see how he did it. I have not messed with macros

David

I've used macros for some effects & they worked OK, but I do not see how the macros will enable you to do a VU type meter display.

I do use a VU type effect during my voice intreduction. I do this using the VU wizard to create channel timing marks and to turn channels on. See post 28 + in the 'sequencing tips & tricks' topic http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/13818-sequencing-tips-tricks-and-secrets/ where there is also a link to my video from 2010.

Last year I also used this technique for some RGB modules to enable colour changes as the levels increased. Works well.

Depending on your arch setup, you may need to reduce the pixel resolution to say 5-10 for the region that you want to apply the VU effect. After using the VU wizard to create the required number of VU levels (& timing marks) in a dummy sequence, you then simply copy the timings from the dummy sequence to the sequence you are creating, and then the entire channel at each VU level to the corresponding channel in your sequence. When copying to an RGB channel, separate the RGB into its separate RGB components, then paste the lower VU levels into the channel(s) that are to be blue; same for green & then red. Note that you can also do mixed colours eg yellow by pasting the same sequence into both green & red.

Hope this helps.

Hi James. I feel I have already asked too much of Bob at this time; hence this post.

Geoff, I'll take a look and see what you did. I know I said VU meter, but I guess in reality I'm more trying to create a level type meter.

The colored meter thingy you see on recorders and such.

Thanks again.

Using the Maestro Macro, Bob was able to recreate what I was trying to accomplish. I'm just still confused on his suggestion.

Again, here is the response last year from Bob; with the external vid link:

What are doing up so late David?

Unless you have a value in macro mode, the pixels will show as if you were doing normal sequencing. This may result in a flash of unintended color.

all rgbs off, set the macro mode,

set the resolution (usually 1 for macros) and RBGs

set the macro sub mode and effect.

If I understood your idea, you want macro mode 9 or 10. I tried it with 10 and it worked ok. Using res 50 with G17, Y3 and R5. Then copied to lower 25.

Note the range is 0 to 50 for this macro mode.

http://itsmebob.com/...oublearchVU.wmv

Maybe, that will shed some light for you, so you can assist further.

Thanks,

Geoff

Best,

David

Hi David

Are you trying to get the arches to respond to the loudness of the music (or beat), (ie the louder the sound, the closer the lighted section moves toward the red end), or just trying to get the arches to respond at each beat with a constant amplitude on the arch independent of the loudness?

If you want a response to the loudness of the sound, then I cannot see an easy way to use macros, but the approach I suggested will work.

If you just want to trigger an arch cycle at each beat, then use of macros will work, but I would have thought modes 1 or 2 would be used (fill from end), not 10 or 11 (beat chase) .

Hi Geoff. What I'm trying to do, is on the beat make like a level meter type effect. Think the opening chord of "Ironman" As the chords hits, it sounds low and then gradually increases tone. Like bending a note on guitar.

So, when it hits, I wanted the arches to start at the green level, and increase to the red level...then back off and stay in the green level till the sound fades.

That is the effect I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Best,

David

Don't use macros... use the VU meter function (you may need an upgrade offered only on Basic+ and higher versions)

lets say your arches are pixels 1-50 I'm assuming pixel 1 will be on the left and pixel 50 on the right

and that pixel 1 will be the lowest measurable level of sound and pixel 50 will be the peak.

Group 1: pixels 1-5 ( green)

Group 2 pixels 6-10 (green)

Group 3 pixels 11-15 (green)

Group 4 pixels 16-20 (green)

Group 5 pixels 21-25 (green)

Group 6 pixels 26-30 (yellow)

Group 7 pixels 31-35 (yellow)

Group 8 pixels 36-40 (yellow)

Group 9 pixels 41-45 (red)

Group 10 pixels 46-50 (red)

Now you need to use the VU function :

for each group of pixels you will need to set an increasing minimum threshold for it to turn on... and when that threshold is met then you set the color as indicated above.

I think you may have to do this for one pixel at a time, and then copy and paste the sequence to the rest of the group.

then you need to complete those step 10 times. (one for each group, where each group has a higher and higher minimum threshold.

Here's my VU meter:

https://www.facebook...91682499&type=3

You could make the groups smaller... but then you'd have to repeat the VU meter threshold step even more times.

Edited by Crazydave

Thank You crazydave. I'll give this a shot. Right now I have a great feeling of hopelessness. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get back on track.

Right now it's Miller Time! Not for a good reason either. Well, looking on the bright side, at least I still have a job; hope I can say that in 4 years.

Thanks for you help.

I have my CCR's setup with 1 CCR creating 2 8ft arches. So I would change your number to reflect 1-25. Then copy paste that to my other arches.

Thanks again.

David

• The topic was locked