Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio Tune in sign

ranjanpa

Can someone suggest an option for Radio tune in sign. Ready made solutions are pretty expensive and I am not feeling too rich right now, with all the investments into lor and lights and christmas round the corner. Today I bought a 2 feet by 4 inch board from home depot, stenciled the radio station numbers, let the paint dry and then found out that the board was too thick for my leds to go through them. Surely I will go to HD tomorrow and look for a thinner board, but just asking - are there easier options , thanks

Can someone suggest an option for Radio tune in sign. Ready made solutions are pretty expensive and I am not feeling too rich right now, with all the investments into lor and lights and christmas round the corner. Today I bought a 2 feet by 4 inch board from home depot, stenciled the radio station numbers, let the paint dry and then found out that the board was too thick for my leds to go through them. Surely I will go to HD tomorrow and look for a thinner board, but just asking - are there easier options , thanks

Drill holes in the board for mini lights, following our font size/style of course. Cut out foam letters to match, glue the foam on the board, take a soldering iron and melt holes once the foam is glued in, insert mini lights, BOOM awesome sign... i'm working on mine right now.

Another cheap option, but needs some creativity, patience and labor - Use a single light rope on a grid and like neon sign light bulb tubes, make the frequency sign and black out the parts of the lightrope you don't want to see

Katie_Paterson_v_neon.jpg.

I'm making mine very simple. A 4'x8' sheet of plywood. Paint it white background, red letters/numbers. Attach it to a 8' PVC pipe planted into the ground. Wrap the PVC pipe with red ribbon. Place a flood light on the ground pointing up at the sign. Simple, visible, inexpensive.

My Tune-to sign was a little pricy.

I Built a 36"x24" box out of MDF, primered and painted to match the house.

It has an opaque plexiglass sheet in the front, which is backlight by 45 RGB pixel modules

I am getting some cut colored vinyl that will resemble a present with a tag that says "Tune to"

Once i have pictures of the sign up and working, I will post.

Holiday coro has the best sign in my opinion. 20 bucks and you add the lights to whatever frequency you want. Here's mine.

post-7148-13517025407911_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

post-1228-0-06904200-1351703233_thumb.jpYou can make a box out of scrap wood and get a piece of plexiglass from box store to fill in. Cut out some letters and tape these to the plexiglass. Then spray paint the plexiglass white. I lined the inside of box with aluminum foil to reflect the light forward and used some old C-9 bulbs inside the box to illuminate with. I added the emblem you see in the photo before I painted also. This has been used for four years now and still works for under $20 investment.

I am with Shannon. I have a double sided sign I made using Holiday Coro signs. 2x8 with slots cut about 1" in for the signs make the box. Covered the signs with white vinyl before poking the holes so extra lights didn't shine thru unused holes. Each post is 4" PVC with plastic globes on top. There is a regular 40W bulb in each one.

post-5661-0-94828500-1351704518_thumb.jp

Edited by imawlkr2
  • Like 1

I used a peg board and a string of yellow LED lights hooked up to one channel that fades up and down

n317118_10150475974401908_589291907_10767288_2067134855_n1.jpg

Everyone has such awesome simple signs, I feel like im going too far with mine...

Crazydave, If you get the chance, post a picture of your sign, I would love to see it...

Your sign is extremely important. Otherwise your house looks like flashing lights, and all your hard work sequencing goes out the window.

Mine is from Holiday Coro, and I love it. It's a must have IMO.

This year I'm keeping it simple and having a banner made that I'll string between two t-posts and put a flood light on it. Since this is my first year, I have too many other things to think about and build.

bought a 2 feet by 1 feet wooden board from home depot, drilled 200 holes and fixed multi colored mini lights. After 3 hours of effort figured out that the display sign is not clear in the light, maybe because of multiple colors or because of the distance between the letters, not sure. Have to trash the board. losing patience now

• Like 1

bought a 2 feet by 1 feet wooden board from home depot, drilled 200 holes and fixed multi colored mini lights. After 3 hours of effort figured out that the display sign is not clear in the light, maybe because of multiple colors or because of the distance between the letters, not sure. Have to trash the board. losing patience now

My 1st sign was made of card board and I used a pen to make the holes... and I had a similar experience...glad it was only card board. then I made a real sign.

Can someone suggest an option ............ - are there easier options , thanks

Save your sanity (if any is still left) and your labor. Check out www.holidaycoro.com. He has hastly free coro signs for mini lights from $10.00 to $20.00. Work GREAT and professional.

• Like 2

I built a frame of 2x4's slid in an old pane of glass, and wedged in an old LCD display, drilled vent holes in the bottom and side (away from monitor). Have the display powered via a timer, and an old computer runs a power pint presentation.