Light-O-Rama Forums

What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

Today I tested and configured 2 new controllers, finishes cleanup from the Halloween show and wired a relay bank for my leaping arches.

tj

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

Wrapped 5 trees in the yard, large oaks and maples. Spent the better part of 5 hours on them. It is the least favorite thing to do every year. I have to come up with a better thing to do with my trees. AT least I got them done and that is behind me now.

Wrapped the bottom of my three trees with rope light (red & white) and put up 4 70ct. strands of C6 LED Lights on each (one tree in red, green & pure white).

One of my neighbors pulled up and told me "dude! It's not even thanksgiving yet!" Then he said

You're the first Mexican red neck I meet. Jajaja. I thought to myself if you only knew what I have planned

For 2013 and this christmas.

My Marty fan is done, border lights installed, icicle lights 3/4 done, two large bushes done. Next weekend is a five day weekend for me. The ball tree goes up, roof stars and mini trees. Thankgiving week, leftover stuff not done yet and testing and tweaking.

I got the LED light rope around my 3 tree rings lit up - and they SUCK. Remember that I am just doing landscape lighting. In my front yard I have a back wall with 17 roses along the wall. Each of the roses has about a 2 1/2 foot segment of LED light rope and it looks just fine. Across the middle of the yard are 3 brick tree rings that have had the same LED light rope around the inside edge of the ring. Got those wired into a controller today. When it got dark, I realized that there was a problem. The LED light rope I have is a very warm white. Under the steps up to my front porch I have 5050 LED RGB strips (mostly there so my partially blind dad can see the steps). The 5050 strips are a VERY cool white so I normally run at 70% Red, 40% Green and 10% Blue. One of the tree rings is right in front of the porch steps, and even at my normal setting on the RGB strips, the tree ring looks a horrible dingy yellowy white. The light rope in front of the roses was not a problem because it was across the yard and not normally in the same sight picture, but the west tree ring being right in front of the porch looked awful. Brought my wife outside and she agreed with me, so I just placed an order from Ray Wu for some more 5050 dumb strips for the tree rings. Oh, and I also ordered 20 meters of 2811 strips for another part of the yard while I was at it...

Rehung new lights on the house. Not an easy task as the peaks are tall and roof line is extremely complicated. Not happy about it because I hung the old lights 2 weeks ago. Tested the old lights twice. Once before installing them and then again after. But then Hurricane Sandy hit and many strings failed or broke. Ugg! Wasted 2 very nice days in New England redoing what was already finished. I was hoping and planning on not being rushed this year. Praying for some nice weekends ahead to finish.

got my mega tree up, wired and tested. got all but one section of the roof line done. O- and hacked my bushs down so I don't have to use as many stings to cover them.

slowly but surely I'll get there.

Got all my extension cords run. Wow. That was a job. So glad my kids helped or I'd be out there 'till Xmas. Also got my first 5 controllers connected to the network and tested. Found one with 2 bad triacs. ...sigh... My newest controller. (Used one season) Trying to decide whether to send it to LOR for repair. Or repair it myself. I've done some soldering, but far from an expert.

Also got my garage cleaned up. FINALLY. Haven't parked a vehicle in there in 2-3 months.

All-in-all, a great weekend. One more solid day and everything should be operational.

I built my 4 "mini trees" 150 green 5mm LED's each I think these could easily use another 150-300 more LEDS

Edited by Crazydave

Got all my roof lights up and tested. Looks good. ;) Now on to the rest of the house. Have a 3 day weekend coming up, should get a lot done.

I'm planning on putting up my mega tree this weekend.

This weekend was VERY productive.

I had a 3-day weekend already.. and took friday off as well to make it a 4-day:

Friday: Internet and Dishnetwork went out...3 hours to fix dish....2 hours to fix Internet... arranged lights & built extension cords with SPT2.

Sat: Installed 3 additional 20-amp circuits, installed controller onto wall, continued making SPT2 extension cords, and zip-tying strings together.

Sun: finished zip-tying strings in morning then on Ladder for the rest of the day. (6 hours to hang/install all the lights), tested all channels, fixed minor issues, and watched the entire show while drinking a couple of beers.

Mon: Went to eye doctor, went to dentist, Got the carpets cleaned, cleaned the office and garage.

Here's my weekend in a nutshell

Saturday: Setup and wired the mega tree

Sunday: setup snowflakes, firesticks, and the last of the mini trees (not yet wired to controllers)

Monday: assembled the third controller and tested it.

The list of things to do is getting shorter

Lights for the roof

Lights on the doors and windows

Put lights on two 10' trees

Put lights on two 6' trees.

Then wire to controllers and test! I just may get this done by black Friday!

Edited by TheUltimate

So far lets see,

Mega Tree Complete, not yet tested

Notes repaired and installed

Roof work completed, Finally (damm my ankles are sore)

Completed wrapping fans

Wireing 50 % done

Wow still lots to do, guess I'll have to take a couple of Extra days off work otherwise I'll never make it..

Hard to work in the evening, Dark by the time I get home !!

Lets petition to not change the time back till after Thankgiving !!

So far lets see,

Completed wrapping fans

Wireing 50 % done

Wow still lots to do, guess I'll have to take a couple of Extra days off work otherwise I'll never make it..

I know how you feel.. I am off at 5.. Gives me maybe 30min of daylight if its not cloudy out...

So far lets see,

Completed wrapping fans

Wireing 50 % done

I agree the Time thing sucks. they should change the time on black friday that way no one knows what time it is or when stores open. Mass crazyness.............

Mega Tree done tested and wired up.

Roof outline up and wired (one section not working have to fix tonight)

16 - mini trees setup and one color wired.

FM - sign done

Santa's Mailbox built.

transmitter and mini director done.

all other items wired.

still need:

christmas boxes

Raindeer

put up talking trees (wire up)

wrap bushs & trees

Test.....

Ran my icicles around the portch,third garage, and front of the house.

Hung my lights around the garage the doors

And ran the lights on my 5 pigmy palm trees

I would say I'm 40% done, but I still have so much to do.